Soresu

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #278087 by
Soresu was created by
Recently I've been looking into the 7 forms of lightsaber combat. I found that I've been more interested in Soresu, the all defensive form. Unfortunately, all I find is focus on blade twirls and footwork, and not too many specifics or other things I must be aware of. Anyone can twirl a blade and dance around within a more confined area that your opponent(s) have created for you, but how does one know how to block or learn how to hold themselves with said twirls?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #278090 by
Replied by on topic Soresu
I haven't studied much when it comes to fencing, kendo, and other forms of swordfighting (nor have I studied much when it comes to the lightsaber forms), but... at a guess, study moves and stances, and practice with a partner.

Though I suppose there are methods of practicing on your own (something akin to shadowboxing , or kata ), but... again, not my field of expertise.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #278104 by
Based off of what I've seen of Soresu, it appears to be the lightsabre equivalent of Aikido, instead of meeting attacks head on, one seems to redirect the motion past them. This, if i am to understand correctly, is to preserve energy in the hopes your opponent will tire themselves out before you become tired. So based off your initial findings, footwork and spins are a good way to keep the opponent guessing and keep yourself safe. Too many big motions, swings, or overly complex footwork would only tire yourself out faster. With all things, it seems once again, patience and practice.

I wish you all the best in your martial arts endeavors! MTFBWY

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
7 years 1 month ago #278117 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Soresu
yes soresu is akin to aikido or wing chun kung fu...it uses a lot of circular deflections turning the opponents strength and aggression against them...ataru is akin to capoeira with all the flips and jumping...makashi is akin to traditional fencing...if you look close enough at each form you'll see elements of other styles as well...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #278578 by
Makashi + Iaido <3 for me. :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi