So I went to the doctor today...

More
7 years 2 months ago #273001 by Skryym
After weeks of pain in my left elbow, it was getting in the way of my climbing. I went to the campus clinic to see what exactly was wrong.

It didn't take the doctor long to see I had Lateral Epicondylitis (Tennis Elbow). Between mandolin, climbing, and working the grinding wheel at my job, it is no small surprise to see how I managed to screw up my forearm. But what the doctor said next is why I am really posting here today. It was something along the lines of;

"Your body is not you. Your body is a collection of muscles and bones. Like any machine, it needs to be taken care of, and trained for the right job. It's your responsibility not to be reckless, and to maintain your body for the life you want to live."

Very rarely do I expect such inspiration from doctors. It really harked back to the IP, especially Lesson 2: "The self"

It's nice to see these lessons popping up in the real world, where I can learn through failure and experience.

There is no bad weather, only bad attitudes and bad attire. - Gandalf the Grey
TM: Loudzoo
Skryym's Novice Journal | Meditation Journal | Apprentice Journal | Skryym's 2022 IP Journal |
B.Div Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyan Sarden, TheDude,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #273180 by Cyan Sarden
Take care - Epicondylitis can take forever to heal (took me a year to get rid of mine last time :-/ listen to what the doctor tells you

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skryym,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #273673 by
Replied by on topic So I went to the doctor today...
Wow that quote is pretty epic, for a doctor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 week ago #278725 by
That really was an epic quote and unlike anything I've ever heard out of a doctor's mouth. Thank you for sharing it!

I want to pass on something I learned the hard way from my physical therapist. I have lost about thirty pounds over the last year. I have had two rather serious injuries during this time. One was a strain of my tibialis posterior tendon and the other was a strain of my quadriceps muscle where it connects by the knee. Each occurred at different times.

My physical therapist told me if you lose weight, particularly any substantial loss of weight, you lose muscle and also...duh, tone. This makes is much easier to get injured.

Bottom line, stretch, stretch, stretch and make sure you warm up a little before you stretch. If you don't keep your body stretched your more likely to do damage to something and that will put you back on the couch quicker than anything else.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 days ago #278913 by
Here is to a speedy recovery! May the Force be with you, friend, during this time. :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi