PMS Cravings

More
7 years 5 months ago #263787 by Leah Starspectre
This is specifically for the lady-folk because this is about lady things - namely cravings during PMS. If you're not a menstruating type (past or present), while I do appreciate your input, and you can certainly leave it, it's hard to really understand the situation if you've never been through it.

I try to eat well most of the time. I usually fail, but I'm getting more and more aware of what I eat, and gradually building the power to take control over my own nutrition. I feel it's an important aspect of my path - taking care of my body. I am struggling, though, especially when hormones rear their ugly heads.

During that awful and hormonal week prior to my period, I go completely out of control. I crave all the terrible things: salty, sweet, fatty, convenient... My diet becomes a back hole of junk food. No matter how well I was eating before, the compulsion is just too strong.

So I ask: what do YOU do do beat those cravings? Or at least mitigate the damage...have you ever found something that works for you?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #263813 by
Replied by on topic PMS Cravings

Leah Starspectre wrote: During that awful and hormonal week prior to my period, I go completely out of control. I crave all the terrible things: salty, sweet, fatty, convenient... My diet becomes a back hole of junk food. No matter how well I was eating before, the compulsion is just too strong.

So I ask: what do YOU do do beat those cravings? Or at least mitigate the damage...have you ever found something that works for you?

If you want to stop doing something, stop.

Don't make excuses for why you can't.

No trick or tip is going to save you.

You aren't powerless.

Make a choice and stop.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by .

More
7 years 5 months ago #263814 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic PMS Cravings
Not a lady here, but a fast food junkie.

Sometimes you have to trick yourself. Leave your stash of cash at home, make it impossible to buy any junk food.

Don't trust willpower.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leah Starspectre

More
7 years 5 months ago #263815 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic PMS Cravings
Leah what I have found that helps cravings I get while dieting is to find a healthy substitute so let me give a few examples:

1) If I want a soda I use sparkling water and a tea or a touch of fruit juice. Far fewer calories and no processed sugars
2) If I want something crunchy and salty like chips I have a dehydrator that I make things like dehydrated tomatoes that I season with garlic or the like.
3) I want candy I eat dried fruits etc.

Hope that helps.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leah Starspectre

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #263816 by
I totally hear you. I feel like I only have 1 good week out of the month where I feel on top of things, successful and motivated. the three weeks after are horrible. I've tried doubling up on exercising thinking its due to my child birthing weight gain. I've tried dieting. I've tried health improvments (more fibers, protien, zinc, raspberry tea)

Sad fact is.

We as women are doomed to endure this....."Delightful" and "Beautiful" and "Magical" time's.

And the only real way I have been able to push through it is to remain positive and to pamper myself. Instead of sweets...I'll ask the husband to take the kids to a friends house and let me get an hour to soak in a salt bath. Need fatty foods, I'll give myself HEALTHY Fatty foods. (Like Steak and Green Beans without the starchy side)

And most importantly....I ensure I am keeping up on my Iron. I take two pills a day plus what i get from food sources

IronIronIron

Remember that despite the above sarcasm.....This really is a beautiful part of being a women. Positive thoughts. *hugs*

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #263819 by Leah Starspectre
Replied by Leah Starspectre on topic PMS Cravings

Trisskar wrote:
And the only real way I have been able to push through it is to remain positive and to pamper myself. Instead of sweets...I'll ask the husband to take the kids to a friends house and let me get an hour to soak in a salt bath. Need fatty foods, I'll give myself HEALTHY Fatty foods. (Like Steak and Green Beans without the starchy side)

This is somewhat my issue. I pamper myself with food. I'm very busy and very single. Sweets are the quickest way to get some happy while I'm doing my other stuff, because nobody else is going to pamper me but me (although I'm sure my cats would if they could, lol)
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Leah Starspectre.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #263823 by

Leah Starspectre wrote:

Trisskar wrote:

This is somewhat my issue. I pamper myself with food. I'm very busy and very single. Sweets are the quickest way to get some happy while I'm doing my other stuff, because nobody else is going to pamper me but me (although I'm sure my cats would if they could, lol)

Well that makes it easier honestly XD getting my kids and husband out of the house can be a chore at times XD haha

Just got to replace your habbits. I wrote a lesson on habbits once....haha XD lets see if I can find it....

Warning: Spoiler!

Dunno if that helps or not XD But its just a matter of replacing one habbit with another. If it is sweets you consume try replacing it with fruit Smoothies. If you get a bunch of fruites and yogurts and put them individual baggies then freeze them you can have real quick, easy, yummy, sweet snack that are also healthy :)
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by .

More
7 years 5 months ago #263828 by Leah Starspectre

Trisskar wrote:
Well that makes it easier honestly XD getting my kids and husband out of the house can be a chore at times XD haha

Just got to replace your habbits. I wrote a lesson on habbits once....haha XD lets see if I can find it....

Warning: Spoiler!

Dunno if that helps or not XD But its just a matter of replacing one habbit with another. If it is sweets you consume try replacing it with fruit Smoothies. If you get a bunch of fruites and yogurts and put them individual baggies then freeze them you can have real quick, easy, yummy, sweet snack that are also healthy :)

Well, it's certainly good advice! The problem is that it's easier said than done. I have all sorts of good intentions and ideas and plans to get myself through the bad weeks in a more health-some way, but they just seem to always fall apart. For example: I have delicious home-made soup in my freezer, but when I'm bloated and sad and craving sweets, I don't want that health-some soup, but the ice cream that's right beside it.

It is just a matter of will power, then? Surely if it was that easy, I wouldn't be having such a terrible time.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #263837 by
The answer is....Toss out the Ice Cream so it is no longer an option XD haha IT SUCKS!!! Trust me I am not saying it is easy. Its NOT. I fail all the time....I have cookie dough in the fridge right now that sounds absolutely delightful and all that halloween candy in the cupboard? *Drools*

But sadly it really is about training proper habbit (Willpower) that however does not equal out to = [strike]Easy[/strike]

What it does equal out to is consistent practice and elimination.

Also keep in mind. All those sweets you crave? Only makes you more bloated XD (It sure does for me!!) So its akin to taking poison....taste sooooo good!!! But in actuallity is making your condition worse. So you eat more sweets. And get more bloated....only to eat more.....the cycle stops when you stop buying it in the first place :-/ Toss that ice cream in the trash and make some yummy soup! :)

More
7 years 5 months ago #263844 by Leah Starspectre

Trisskar wrote: The answer is....Toss out the Ice Cream so it is no longer an option XD haha IT SUCKS!!! Trust me I am not saying it is easy. Its NOT. I fail all the time....I have cookie dough in the fridge right now that sounds absolutely delightful and all that halloween candy in the cupboard? *Drools*

But sadly it really is about training proper habbit (Willpower) that however does not equal out to = [strike]Easy[/strike]

What it does equal out to is consistent practice and elimination.

Also keep in mind. All those sweets you crave? Only makes you more bloated XD (It sure does for me!!) So its akin to taking poison....taste sooooo good!!! But in actuallity is making your condition worse. So you eat more sweets. And get more bloated....only to eat more.....the cycle stops when you stop buying it in the first place :-/ Toss that ice cream in the trash and make some yummy soup! :)

Oh, I know all too well that what I crave just makes things worse, lol. I think booze is the only thing I don't crave siding PMS. Everything else: fatty, salty, carb-loaded, sweet, coffee... It's all wanting to be in my mouth immediately, even if I know it will ultimately make things worse, lol.

Guh, there's nothing that depresses me more than restricting my treats.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi