Lightsaber Practice

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #259489 by
Lightsaber Practice was created by
Just in case someone hasn't already found this, here's an awesome pdf about the 7 Lightsaber forms:

http://lightsaberacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/7-Forms-of-Lightsaber-Combat.pdf

It may seem somewhat childish at first, but playing with lightsabers is a good practice. It is a martial art based on modern-mythological weapons. Practicing Lightsaber forms in the "flow state" may even aid in mindfulness.

I am definitely going to start practicing more (even just with a wooden stick), what about you?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #259714 by
Replied by on topic Lightsaber Practice
I've found it a lot more beneficial for me to spin a Karate bo/staff and practice self defense with it than a toy light saber.

More
7 years 6 months ago #259716 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Lightsaber Practice

Rickie wrote: I've found it a lot more beneficial for me to spin a Karate bo/staff and practice self defense with it than a toy light saber.

Doing the saber forms with a practice sword is just as effective. Just food for thought.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #259721 by

MadHatter wrote:

Rickie wrote: I've found it a lot more beneficial for me to spin a Karate bo/staff and practice self defense with it than a toy light saber.

Doing the saber forms with a practice sword is just as effective. Just food for thought.

Yup, good stuff. Broom handles, walking stix and canes are less obtrusive. :)

More
7 years 6 months ago #259722 by Leah Starspectre

Rickie wrote:

MadHatter wrote:

Yup, good stuff. Broom handles, walking stix and canes are less obtrusive. :)

I use both my combat lightsaber and HEMA synthetic sword to practice. I'm always surprised at how much crossover there is :)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
7 years 6 months ago #259757 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Lightsaber Practice
I think the contemporary codification of the lightsaber forms are an apostasy on the founding materials potential :lol:
I tend to instead see them as ways of thinking, and therefore acting, rather then prescribed movements. So almost 'formless forms' instead of sets of katas. But yea I do still base it on the fiction as much as I can. I also prefer a stick or improvised staff, for practicality... but do so more as a meditation then combative - not to say meditation must exclude combative visualization
;)
Any exercise is good exercise, so long as you don't hurt anything too much!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #259762 by
I find that years of training in iaido, kendo and aikido has shown me
that most form's are in themselves meditations.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #259766 by
This is beneficial. thanks for posting this.

I feel that there are many benefits to lightsaber techniques and instruction. I like that it is based on personal expression verses ancient traditional secrets. I feel that these forms are a lot more approachable.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi