So, I really hate exercise..

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #249753 by Edan
In some of the time I've been away from TOTJO I stopped running because I was feeling pretty rubbish and going to the gym was not helping this in the slightest.

What I've discovered however is that I really really really really really really hate exercise. It's not laziness, because if I'm having a good day on a weekend I'll walk for miles, but everyday the last thing I want to do is get hot and sweaty and achy.

I hate running, it was just the lesser of all evils, and I actually like having my evenings back where I don't have to go to the gym and lose two hours each night.

But now I have an issue where I'm doing nothing (apart from a bit of yoga).

People often laud team sports as an alternative, but I don't have anyone to play sport with (at least anyone who wants to, and I'm not keen anyway).. and joining a club of any kind is a no because of the cost.

So now I'm stuck... do I just suck it up and do something I hate? Or any ideas? I really have no clue.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Nicole Judge, Brick, x57z12

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #249754 by
Replied by on topic So, I really hate exercise..
Bikes are less stressful on your body compared to running, less boring to cause you can cover more ground and go more places. Then just do your jumping squats, push ups, etc., at home if you don't have anyone to workout with to make it a little more interesting.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #249756 by
So there is Aerobics, Poledancing, Tai Chi , a lot of possibilties that involve leaving the house and you can buy a Zumba cd and do 30 min x 3 times a week at home ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM9piuETFaQ

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
7 years 8 months ago #249758 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic So, I really hate exercise..
not being a couch potato is a good step.... lol... Stay active!!

Is there nothing that you find interesting? Where there is a will, theres a way, we just have to want it more than we want the status quo...

JUst as we should be challenging our beliefs and convictions, and sometimes it isnt easy, we should challenge ourselves physically as well...

If I remember right, I thought you enjoyed the exercise? At least the 'mudder'? and, the exercise was (in part) training for the marathon and the mudder, right?

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
7 years 8 months ago #249759 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic So, I really hate exercise..
I did a couple of runs but no further than 10k...

Maybe it's just my state of mind for the last 6 months or so, but I'm definitely not enjoying running at the moment.
A friend of mine who's trying to lose weight asked me if I'd run a marathon with her in a couple of years O_O

I've never really found any sport or anything interesting... I like my own company so that sorta excludes sports :P

The only thing I do actually enjoy is yoga, but that's not really good enough for getting fit.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #249762 by

Edan wrote: I did a couple of runs but no further than 10k...

Maybe it's just my state of mind for the last 6 months or so, but I'm definitely not enjoying running at the moment.
A friend of mine who's trying to lose weight asked me if I'd run a marathon with her in a couple of years O_O

I've never really found any sport or anything interesting... I like my own company so that sorta excludes sports :P

The only thing I do actually enjoy is yoga, but that's not really good enough for getting fit.

This looks like a fun workout !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZsKcL05Rcg

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #249765 by
So if you really hate exercise... why not read these? :p They gave me a couple of hints of a) how to stick to something, and b) why I'm gonna fail anyway (at least- some of the time!)

How to stick: https://www.thersa.org/discover/publications-and-articles/reports/easier-said-than-done (full report as a download is on the page)

How we'll fail: https://www.farnamstreetblog.com/2016/06/why-do-we-backslide-on-our-goals/

Good luck, :)

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #249774 by OB1Shinobi
lots of free dancing tutorials online, for solo and couples
i was going to post a youtube, but...
:P
ive gotten into jumping rope lately
i know it sounds boring but its actually kinda fun once you learn a few steps and can keep going for a few minutes

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #249784 by
I hate running too. I don't enjoy exercising for the sake of exercising. Some people enjoy the act of working out, I'm just not one of them. Like you, I'm not lazy, I just need an activity to go along with my work out. That's why I enjoy martial arts. I also like to do some physically intensive work. One of my favorite jobs I've ever had was being the cart guy at Target. Very physically active, zero mental stress. I got a lot of good thinking done during those days. LOL

I recommend finding some physical activity that you do enjoy, it doesn't matter what it is. Even Pokemon Go is getting people out and about quite a bit. ;) :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #249799 by
I'd echo what a lot of the others have posted above, mainly low-impact routines.

Yoga is a great one, and you're already doing it, so just expanding can help a lot! There's a ton of Yoga programs on YouTube which are very well done, such as 30 Days of Yoga.

If you ever want to run though, I highly recommend Couch 2 5k from personal experience, and the more fun and interactive Zombies, Run!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi