Eye of the Tiger

More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #239236 by OB1Shinobi
Eye of the Tiger was created by OB1Shinobi
When Stallone made Rocky 3 (Stallone wrote all the Rocky movies and i think directed all of them except the first) he wanted to use Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" as the theme song. Queen wouldnt go for it though so Stallone had to do something else. He decided to go to the band Journey, and they sat down, eventually with a mostly-finished copy ofthe movie and banged out "Eye of the Tiger"

"Another One Bites the Dust" is a pretty awesome song
arguably, its better than Eye of the Tiger

but Eye of the Tiger was way better for Rocky 3, and thats not arguable

Rocky is a huge american icon and Eye of the Tiger is a big part of that

Stallone had his heart set of ABTD wheb he wrote the movie, when he filmed the movie and when he put the scenes together, it was always with ABTD in mind - ABTD was integral to his vision for the whole film

but he couldnt get it - he couldnt get what he wanted, and he had to adapt, and its a really good thing that he did, but man what a bummer at the time

and i was reminded how one the one hand we should always be willing to go for the thigs we want, and i mean really go for them, but also that its important to be able to let go, sometimes, to roll with the punches, and to be able to take the rejection, take the the set back, and say "ok, i cant get what i want, thats ok. this is an opportunity to do something different and new and i will figure it out"

remember in the first Rocky movie, Rocky didnt think he could win - he didnt even want to win, he said "no ones ever gone the distance with Apollo, i just want to go the distance. to show that i aint just a bum"

He showed a really cool, inspiring and gritty kind of optimism

he wasnt saying that he was gonna get all the things that he wanted and that everything was just going to work out - his optimism was simply "i can survive: i can go the distance - i can face this and make it through!"

i just was reminded of all that and i thought it was cool and i wanted to share

and also it gave me an excuse to post this lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p7CaiWxKYBo

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Codama

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 weeks ago #239311 by
Replied by on topic Eye of the Tiger

OB1Shinobi wrote: He decided to go to the band Journey, and they sat down, eventually with a mostly-finished copy ofthe movie and banged out "Eye of the Tiger"

Great post OB. I love that movie and that song. ...But...Eye of the Tiger was done by Survivor, not Journey. Although can you imagine Steve Perry belting that out. They would have done it pretty well too.

In the end I'm glad that Queen wouldn't let him use Another One Bites the Dust. It gave the world Eye of the Tiger and the world is a better place for it.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #239319 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Eye of the Tiger

OB1Shinobi wrote: He decided to go to the band Journey, and they sat down, eventually with a mostly-finished copy ofthe movie and banged out "Eye of the Tiger"

Goken wrote: ...Eye of the Tiger was done by Survivor, not Journey...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO37Ql91qqM

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 weeks ago #239334 by
Replied by on topic Eye of the Tiger
This is a great message, OB1. Sometimes when we don't get what we want, we end up with exactly what we need.

"Just a man and his will to survive". This lyric sums up Rocky better than anything from Queen, in my opinion.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #239337 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Eye of the Tiger

Goken wrote: In the end I'm glad that Queen wouldn't let him use Another One Bites the Dust. It gave the world Eye of the Tiger and the world is a better place for it.

yeah that was the idea behind the post - i feel like its kind of a platitude to say "well you may not get what you want but just maybe youll end up getting something even better"

i would rather say "work for what you want and you can usually get it"

but this particular example of the SURVIVOR song lol (i swear i knew that) always reminds me that one of a Jedi's "cognitive tools" is to be able, or at least willing to really do ones best, to adapt without too much fuss when our expectations dont get met, and that sometimes yeah it DOES turn out for the better

which is not to say that im always great at it myself - "progress not perfection" and all that

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi