Looking for guidance from people much more versed in this stuff than I

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #235906 by
So, I'm going to dump some personal stuff here, because I'm trying to figure out how to better the slump I've hit.

So, a few years ago, I was in an accident. I seem to attract them like flies to honey, I swear, and none of the four have been at my fault. My grandmother jokes that escaping demise as a child makes me attract vehicle issues.

Anyways. I had to relearn to walk, and while I can walk a handful of feet at a time on my own, and am in a wheelchair the rest of the time. I'm recovering from being ridiculously sick last year (immunodepressed, yay), and I'm dealing with my own bouts of depression and issues are reappearing in relation to my PTSD that I thought I had under control. To fix this, I think I need to get my body under control first, and I think that my mind will follow suit when I get to the point where I can use my usual methods of introspection. (Swimming was my meditation, and most of my coping mechanisms were active.) I also have PCOS, if anyone has any general advice in that category, because metformin makes me sick and dizzy. I'm tired of waiting for the doctors and the physical therapists to come up with a better solution, so I'm polling the masses.

Before anyone starts, I would like to point out a few things. I have no orders from the doctors to not pursue my own forms of exercise or self-betterment.

I need to figure out how to find a better workout pattern. Before my last accident, I used to swim for exercise, and it gave me a peaceful feeling, even when I was bone-weary. I've been going to see a therapist for 30 minutes twice a week, and we're really not getting anywhere. I'm getting a lot of talk (really, we spend like 15 minutes of that speaking) and not a lot of answers. So, I'm giving you my current weaknesses, and I'm hoping someone can guide me to a reasonable workout pattern. I tried to do an hour of workout three times a week, but it just left me feeling weak and dejected and blech.

I'm looking to get some gym equipment when I can, but for now, I'm hoping for guidance that doesn't require equipment yet. I also have.. well, very limited ideas on how to stretch properly now that my muscles seem to have shrunk and tightened. The stretches I used to do during dryland prior to swimming are quite painful now. Don't be afraid to ask questions or speak plainly/bluntly.

Thank anyone who takes the time, even if you may not have the guidance I'm looking for.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #235907 by J_Roz
Hello Sana!

First let me say asking for help is a good thing. You are not alone here.

I have also been in a series of accidents, one where I came off a horse and had to learn to walk all over again. I also had to retrain my brain to use my left side. Then a couple years ago I was in a motorcycle accident that almost killed me and I still suffer from that accident including PTSD.

I will also message you privately about things that have helped me but I wanted to take a moment and applaud your strength.

You are here my freind, you are searching and do not think for one moment that you are a lone because you are not. Thank you for posting this because as Jedi our job is help each other and lift each other up when we have fallen.

Attachment h5c47616_2016-03-27.jpg not found

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Avalon

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #235913 by
Some random thoughts. (It's not that you haven't already thought about these things.)

If the physical therapist is talking as much as exercising I wonder if half the issue is psychological.

Like many other activities in our lives, we practice it without yet having mastery of it. So, continue to practice.

Get in the habit despite the ennui.

Work it every day but smaller time slots.

Cut back a little.

Pain is the body telling you what the limits are. Respect the pain. Exercise right up to its threshold.

Stretch.

Don't forget to breathe.

Forgive yourself for not meeting your own standards and expectations.

In addition to the physical, attend to the intellectual, social, and emotional too. We humans are one embodied organism - everything is connected.

Remember: (repeat) "I can do this."

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #235956 by
I want to say you are really brave taking things into your own hands. And don't feel bad about doing what you feel is better for your recovery/body. Awaiting on officials for answers is an UN-needed dependency at times. (I'm sorry I have a bias against officials who believe they know best and give no answers.)

The ancient greeks would debate in the Gym, so yes a healthy body can lead to a healthy mind. Exercise also encourages neurogenesis.

PCOS like many conditions can be managed by diet. It's actually quite interesting how many conditions are managed by healthy eating. It's like a lot of food might be dis-agreeing with us. I have eczema and through out my teens was dragged round and around by officials for answers to help stop the pain, the bleeding and intense itching. Surprisingly it was just one drug after another and not many answers. I changed my diet and within a few months it was under control. I just highly recommend watching your food etc. And for depression diet is important too.

Talking doesn't build muscles. And there is no right or wrong way to your own fitness progress/goals. If your muscles are tight and you can only stretch a little, its completely fine to do it inch by inch. Just because you can't do it now, is not a bad sign, ease the muscles into it. The tortoise won the race after-all.

I recommend Yoga as a good way to start stretching and flexing again. I don't know your leg strength but I highly recommend any that can be done from your back such as lying leg raises. link The video is very good at explaining how to do the movement. If you can only hover your legs. Just start with that and hold.

I hope this can be of some help on your journey.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi