Having to work before 10 am is ‘torture’ — according to science

More
8 years 2 months ago #231968 by Br. John
http://www.rawstory.com/2016/03/having-to-work-before-10-am-is-torture-according-to-science/

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kohadre, Edan, Athena_Undomiel

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #231970 by Edan
I'm not necessarily sure that I'm suffering for getting up early.. some of my colleagues like to get in at 9am and work late, whereas I (despite being a night owl) would much rather get in to work for 8am and go home on time.
I would say, for adults at least, nothing is really one size fits all. I don't know about anyone else, but I naturally wake up earlier now because I get up earlier. That seems counter to what Kelley says.... but what do I know, I'm not a scientist!

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

More
8 years 2 months ago #231972 by Br. John
And remember that scientists don't have to get up and do things - we do. Still I remember having 8am classes in college and it was torture. I remember having to come to idiotic sales meetings at 8am when the normal retail day started at 10am and they ruined my day. I felt exhausted, horrible and all I could think of was getting home and going to sleep.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan

More
8 years 2 months ago #231973 by Edan

Br. John wrote: And remember that scientists don't have to get up and do things - we do. Still I remember having 8am classes in college and it was torture. I remember having to come to idiotic sales meetings at 8am when the normal retail day started at 10am and they ruined my day. I felt exhausted, horrible and all I could think of was getting home and going to sleep.

I do find that if I have to get up before 6.30am then it doesn't matter what I do (or how long I've slept) I will be tired the entire day, unfortunately this is more likely for 3 months of the year... so I end up being tired for those entire 3 months :dry:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #231979 by
Boooo.

You know what really should happen? We should return to bifurcated sleep patterns. We have not caught up yet to having electricity after dark. The ideal sleep pattern of man has been: 1. Around dark, fall asleep. 2. A few hours later, wake up and do stuff at night. Writing letters by candle light, reading, etc. 3. Fall back asleep until dawn.

Yay industrial society that messes up how we sleep and live...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #231983 by
I pull out of my driveway to go to work at 10pm and return home at 8am. And I love it.

Working at night isn't for everyone, but it's for me :) Trying to have a consistent sleep pattern is tough though when everyone's dogs are barking and things, but I'm getting used to it.

I agree with Connor though, before I had this job I'd sleep for about 4 hours, wake up and poke around the internet and eat something for about 2 or 3 hours maybe, then sleep for about another 4. Then I found out in college that society used to actually do that as a habit and I didn't feel like such a weirdo.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #231984 by
Did you feel fine, Snowy, on the bifurcated sleep pattern? Overly tired? Anything?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #231985 by

Connor L. wrote: Did you feel fine, Snowy, on the bifurcated sleep pattern? Overly tired? Anything?

No, actually, I felt great. And I've realized since posting that I'm still doing it. I come home at 8am, sleep til noon, wake up for about 3 hours and poke around, then sleep for another 4. I go to work well rested and ready to rock it out. I always felt like crap when I tried to force myself to get 8 continuous hours though, and by the end of the day I'd be so worn down I was always cranky.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #231986 by
Yet another case study in favor of B.S. (lol, bifurcated sleep) .

Fantastic. :) I have been thinking about trying it... but, it may have to wait till the summer.

More
8 years 2 months ago #231988 by Edan
I lived in a flat for a year and without fail every night I'd wake up, be awake for about an hour/two hours and then eventually fall asleep, but I felt horrible as hell and I don't think I got useful sleep the whole time I lived there. I'm not sure I quite understand how having two sections of sleep is better?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi