Double MTHFR Mutation

More
8 years 3 months ago #222967 by Lykeios Little Raven
So I just had a psych appointment and was given a huge drop of information.

I had a complete brain chemistry/genetics workup. Apparently I have a very rare double mutation. This effects my body/brain's ability to metabolize many chemicals but primarily folic acid.

I am curious if anyone here knows anything about this.

I am currently being treated for Bipolar Type I and my doctor gave me three vitamins to get in order to "put out fires" (his words). Anyone who knows about holistic/naturopathic remedies around here? The vitamins are expensive and I need them, but dietary options are appealing to me.

Basically the doc recommended a specialized multivitamin with 5-MTHF first off. I also have a vitamin D deficiency and was prescribed 50,000 units for that. The other two "vitamins" are called Calm G (to reduce my glutamate levels) and Calm CP (a cortisol suppressor).

Thanks in advance for any information/support you can offer. I've been dealing with this stuff for quite some time and it helps to discuss it with friends.

~Lykeios Orizontas~

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #222972 by
Replied by on topic Double MTHFR Mutation
Having raised a bi-polar child keeping a calm peaceful mind is key but elusive. Get to know your enemy and your triggers. You'll have extremes so have a plan on what you'll do. Have a safe space. Don't hurt yourself with your ups and downs. They will pass. Meditation helps a lot. Good luck. My best thoughts. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #223447 by
I have bipolar disorder. I don't like to use the term suffer from. I don't suffer, it's just part of me. Meditation does help an awful lot but as you will no doubt know it's hard to settle down. Therefore I am still on medication but never have I had vitamins suggested I'm on anti psychotics instead. So thank you maybe I will look into that for myself if it's more natural than drugs. Give meditation a go though. There are different types and you will need to see what suits you best but I do believe it helps. Don't be afraid to PM me should you need to. Even if it's just to share experiences and help each other out. It can be a difficult thing to live with. May the force be with you!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #226563 by
I have just registered today, not even two hours ago. May I offer you this?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-integrationist/201409/genetic-mutation-can-affect-mental-physical-health

Particularly:

"Strive to eat a diet that is healthy in general and includes folate-rich foods. Leafy greens, broccoli, lentils, and many beans are great sources of folate, fiber, and other nutrients."

(Not that everything on the Internet is necessarily true or helpful.)

Meditation and mindfulness help just about everything that involves the mind.

Wishing you well!

--Zabeth

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #226587 by Lykeios Little Raven

Zabeth wrote: I have just registered today, not even two hours ago. May I offer you this?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-integrationist/201409/genetic-mutation-can-affect-mental-physical-health

Particularly:

"Strive to eat a diet that is healthy in general and includes folate-rich foods. Leafy greens, broccoli, lentils, and many beans are great sources of folate, fiber, and other nutrients."

(Not that everything on the Internet is necessarily true or helpful.)

Meditation and mindfulness help just about everything that involves the mind.

Wishing you well!

--Zabeth

Actually I have an overabundance of Folates...lol. So I think I should stay away from folates. My body cannot process them properly so they build up in my system. No worries though, apparently that's a common mistake made even by doctors and the labs that identify the mutation.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Lykeios Little Raven.

More
8 years 2 months ago #226589 by Lykeios Little Raven

Jedd Taddar wrote: I have bipolar disorder. I don't like to use the term suffer from. I don't suffer, it's just part of me. Meditation does help an awful lot but as you will no doubt know it's hard to settle down. Therefore I am still on medication but never have I had vitamins suggested I'm on anti psychotics instead. So thank you maybe I will look into that for myself if it's more natural than drugs. Give meditation a go though. There are different types and you will need to see what suits you best but I do believe it helps. Don't be afraid to PM me should you need to. Even if it's just to share experiences and help each other out. It can be a difficult thing to live with. May the force be with you!

I don't think I used the term "suffer" in my OP, but I get your point and agree. A friend of mine even referred to it as my "blessing" instead of a disorder. I liked that. It can be a blessing or a curse, I choose to look at it as the former.

Yes, the vitamins are to treat my specific problem with the MTHFR mutation thingy. I don't produce SAM-E normally either, but apparently a SAM-E supplement wouldn't help as I can't metabolize it properly. I need the enzyme called MTHFR (methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase) so it takes a very specialized vitamin apparently.

Meditation is a good idea, thank you! Any specific types you'd recommend?

More
8 years 2 months ago #226591 by Lykeios Little Raven

Rickie wrote: Having raised a bi-polar child keeping a calm peaceful mind is key but elusive. Get to know your enemy and your triggers. You'll have extremes so have a plan on what you'll do. Have a safe space. Don't hurt yourself with your ups and downs. They will pass. Meditation helps a lot. Good luck. My best thoughts. :)

Thanks for the advice!

Extremes have sort of been the norm for me up until recently when I started my newest medication. I'm trying to maintain an even keel. It's trying sometimes but the med I'm on helps a lot. At the very least it helps me sleep regularly. Only problem there is how tired it makes me the rest of the time which is always an issue for me with psych meds.

Any particular sorts of meditation you'd recommend?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #226601 by
My apologies ... Indeed your post said that your condition affects your ability to metabolize, but you didn't specify in what way. I made an assumption.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #226673 by
I have something that is bipolar effective, meaning I have damage to my brain and body from my time in the middle east and/or an event in Afghanistan (one was chemical, the other physical trauma) and it has left me being treated and classified as bipolar. However I have a rare gene too that is normally not an issue for people, many people from my native american history have it. I process a lot of things differently because of it though.

Straight up though, the human body is one of the most complex and able devices we know of and it can do amazing things even when it is broken and ripped up. Working out, even low-moderate work out like walking around in the sun (even during the winter) will dramatically improve your stability. Vitamin D that is synthesized or consumed orally cannot replace vitamin d made via your skin. A little bit of sunshine a day will increase your production more then you can possibly absorb... also vitamin D in large pill doses can cause a massive body wide rash (happened to me!), it is a horrible experience best left to crying in the shower while wishing it would end one way or another.

As for foliate, I know little of this. I do know that by taking probiotics I was able to absorb more nutrients from my foods and my skin stopped being almost clear at times because of it. Being low on potassium is something I never recommend. I have massive intestinal damage from heavy metal exposure and perhaps probiotics of the right strand (trial and error friend) will help you be able to use biology to overcome pharmacology.

Working out also helps keep your hormones and general body chemistry stable, so in moderation it will dramatically improve the conditions you are struggling with. If you are physically limited like me, or have social anxiety, try yoga and/or tai chi at home as you can always modify it to your needs.

Also if you live with people, inform them of your conditions and have them look out for cycling behavior. Allow them to approach you with information on your behaviors if they change without getting upset, as they will likely see it before you do. Be sensible about your condition in comparison with others, accept it as part of your life as something that needs to be managed. The number one thing bipolar people have a problem with is taking care of their condition, as those bipolar highs are damn addictive. When I am at my peak, I can running 8 digit quadratic math and am a superior asshole while doing it, then I crash and I am lower than dirt... unable to make sense or reason for getting out of bed. With proper management I got this relatively under control.

More
8 years 2 months ago #226676 by Lykeios Little Raven

Zabeth wrote: My apologies ... Indeed your post said that your condition affects your ability to metabolize, but you didn't specify in what way. I made an assumption.

You're right, I didn't specify. No worries :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi