Disability spiritual well being and Fitness.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #215227 by
so I am just going to put this here.

I am sure many of you know because i discuss it sometimes. I have a physical Disability. Cerebral Palsy Causes me to not walk as others do (tho i do) have spasms and lack of balance and some fine motor skills. Ones first reaction is to apologize as if they had anything to do with it. There other reaction is to stare and comment om my short stature. I find that amusing and then i think of yoda haha.

Anyway from a spiritual well being stand point I often Describe my disability as the Ultimate spiritual teacher. It teaches me many things every single day. So its built in training haha. I would not change it for the world even if I could. We often look at disability or sometimes what is perceived as negative as something of a burden or as we are some how cursed. What we do not often look at is how many lessons and opportunity can come out of it. This is my advice to you. look for the opportunity in what is seen as a negative situation and never judge a book by its cover lol.

On to physical well being this is were you may be of assistance. I am attempting still to develop a physical training routine and could use some input if you could give me some.

Be well Jedi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #217813 by
Though disabled myself I find gardening good exercise and communion with the force. there are ways around things I use old refrigerators as planters so I do not have to bend, and provide healthy food for my family.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #218325 by OB1Shinobi
i just wanted to wish you well in this Firewolf

i dont have the experience or knowledge to be confident of any particular suggestions, but what comes to mind is tai chi a

this is a senior citizens tai chi class - naturally you can find more challenging routines if youd like but i chose on of the more accessible videos i could find because im an ignoramus on C.P.

i suspect (and HOPE) that you might be able to modify most of the forms where you need to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApS1CLWO0BQ

anyways, good luck to you sir :-)

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 4 months ago #218842 by OB1Shinobi
i was gonna PM this Firewolf but i thought MAYBE someone else will benefit from it too eventually

theres a few different sites which focus on the topic but this seems to be the most inclusive page

most of the studies cited were done with children (i would think that the results are relevant to adults as well to a real extent)

CEREBRAL PALSY AND STRENGTH TRAINING: BENEFICIAL OR NOT
by Lori Ann Bruns; University of Florida, Graduate Level Distance Education Student; Owner of Curves Fitness Center

http://www.pelinks4u.org/articles/bruns4_11.htm

Warning: Spoiler!

summary

After reviewing the literature concerning people with cerebral palsy and the effects of strength training on muscle strength, mobility, gait function, spasticity, and self-concept, there seems to be a positive correlation between "progressive, task-oriented strength training" in a community setting and improvements in the dependent variables. There is also evidence of the relationship between lower body strength training and motor functioning, while there wasn't any evidence of strengthening exercises increasing spasticity. It is important that parents as well as physical educators have an idea of where weaknesses generally are in children with cerebral palsy, and what exercises will work on those areas of concern

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi