Fitness, Nutrition and Jediism

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209919 by
Well, I would like to apologyze about the fact of opening a new threat just to deal with one of my bigger passions. Fitness, Nutrition, Diets and Health. I think it could be a little bit arrogant or even selfish but I think that results for the community will be good enough to deserve its own section.

First, I am not licensed nutritionist nor doctor. I am PhD in Chemistry and Nanochemistry. I have been working in Valencia's University for 8 years now. During all that time I have used most of my free time to learn about Biochemistry, Nutrition and also to prepare myself physically for resistance, strenght and fitness. Some years ago, I started to work also in some gyms as personal trainer so I could help people to achieve their goals.

Now I would like to share that information and my complete help with my brothers and sisters here.

I am not sure about how to proceed with it (so I am open to be suggested new ideas) but I would like you to know that the possibility of improving these parts of yourselves is here, free and open. I would like to lend a hand to anyone who has any doubt, any question.

So, welcome to this fitness threat, I'll try to do my best... :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209983 by
Replied by on topic Fitness, Nutrition and Jediism
No need to apologize in my eyes!

What's your thoughts on Keto in moderation? (I currently use this for weightloss, and can't sing the praises of it enough)

Any tips you'd like to give out to everyone? General guidelines?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209988 by

Cayce wrote: No need to apologize in my eyes!

Oh thanks, I will not do that again :)

Cayce wrote: What's your thoughts on Keto in moderation? (I currently use this for weightloss, and can't sing the praises of it enough)

During my last weight loss I also used Keto for eliminating the most resistant fat. If Keto is done moderately it can give amazing results as the metabolism of fat is increased very much. Is Keto then for everyone who would like to lose some weight, of course not. The first 2-3 Kg of weightloss by this diet is lost due to the deplection of the glucogen deposits. This is accompanied by 3 times its weight in water. So the first thing you lose is stored CH + Water. Once in this ketogenic state one would use the Protein + Fat reserves to obtain energy. If the exercise of not so hard, the body is able to burn fat as fast as it is needed but if the needs of obtaining fast energy increases, it starts to burn muscles. So, it is necessary to be very care while using this diet during hypertrophy and bodybuilding.

Cayce wrote: Any tips you'd like to give out to everyone? General guidelines?

Avoid completely procesed food. White sugar is forbidden. Vegetables, Fruits, Meat and Fish is the way to go. Grains, Rice and legumes are sometimes necessary but secondary in most of the times.
A good diet is that which makes you to learn how to eat and is sustainable in time.

Just tell me any other doubt you may have. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209994 by

Mael wrote: The first 2-3 Kg of weightloss by this diet is lost due to the deplection of the glucogen deposits. This is accompanied by 3 times its weight in water. So the first thing you lose is stored CH + Water. Once in this ketogenic state one would use the Protein + Fat reserves to obtain energy. If the exercise of not so hard, the body is able to burn fat as fast as it is needed but if the needs of obtaining fast energy increases, it starts to burn muscles. So, it is necessary to be very care while using this diet during hypertrophy and bodybuilding.

Well said! Keto is rather amazing, and I use it coupled with Yoga / Tai Chi / Interval Running currently. Still very early on in this 'round', but I lost 50lbs so far with this method and feel ah-may-zing when I'm living that way. I think the biggest challenge for people trying it is finding good recipes, because you should always feel full and sated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #210022 by
I got back to the gym last week. Besides the regular gym activities, I'm also running, because I want to train for 5k+ races and be able to participate and finish them next year.

I still didn't change much my diet, besides trying to diminish with sugar and eating less bread, a staple of Brazilian breakfast - bread and butter.

The gym I go also offers Yoga and martial arts, so I'll probably start with yoga this week, and with Karate next year. Maybe I'll also do Muai Tai, or Boxing.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #210027 by
I am way overweight, so I can't move very well. So, I am working on cardio three times a week (stationary bike, elliptical).
And, eventually I would like to do this: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

I am working on my diet as well. I have severe (and I mean SEVERE) mental incapacities that make it difficult.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #210054 by

Connor L. wrote: I am way overweight, so I can't move very well. So, I am working on cardio three times a week (stationary bike, elliptical).

I am working on my diet as well. I have severe (and I mean SEVERE) mental incapacities that make it difficult.

There's a beginner version of 5x5, believe it's called 5x3. I myself prefer three sets of ten of each exercise, to build strength, alternating every month or two with three sets of five to build bulk. I've lost 40 lbs this year just weight lifting (I hate cardio more than I can express here), with maybe 20 to go. My work is fairly active now too, started my current job about a year and a half ago, and that's helped tremendously. You can lose the weight if you set your mind to it.

The hardest part is the first few weeks. Eating right is hard, and I cheat here and there to this day, but once you figure out portions and stick to them you're golden. You may be hungry the first couple weeks, but drinking a big glass of water when you feel hungry helps a lot. Soon your stomach shrinks, and again you're golden. This advice comes from someone who is literally unable to feel full, so if I can manage portions, you should do great!

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 5 months ago #210058 by RyuJin
i'm back to eating 5-6 times a day....small amounts of course....getting my metabolism back to full speed...last time i did that i lost 64 pounds with no exercise...or i should say very light exercise as i wanted to prove a point to some family members, it's not so much about what you eat as how you eat...

i'll be starting back up on a regular exercise regiment as well...or at least regular for me...which is....rather extreme for some...i'm fortunate enough to have very little regression when i stop working out, and can start back up at nearly the same level as when i left off...i use a variety of workouts to avoid boredom and plateauing...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #210059 by OB1Shinobi

Connor L. wrote: I am way overweight, so I can't move very well. So, I am working on cardio three times a week (stationary bike, elliptical).

i started lifting recently and id just like to encourage you to get a bech and LIFT!

all of those exercises except the row can be done at your home on a bench you can get for 100 bucks

youll love it once you get started! i would encourage you to get a weight set the very next time you have 100 - 150 that you can spend, REALLY REALLY GREAT INVESTMENT!
the sooner the better!

anyway, im not meaning to be pushy or nosy
i wish you the best

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #210075 by

Connor L. wrote: I am way overweight, so I can't move very well. So, I am working on cardio three times a week ...I am working on my diet as well. I have severe (and I mean SEVERE) mental incapacities that make it difficult.

We can sometimes be inclined to admire the most fit, athletic-looking members at the gym, but in my book you are a hero, Connor.

Sometimes, at the gym I frequent, I'll see a new person who is really out of shape. I think about what they had to overcome just to show up, and the determination it takes to huff and puff through those first workouts with a body used to sitting down, and usually send a congratulatory thought if it's too forward of me to speak up.

Stay with it, even if you find yourself experience lapses or discouragement. I'm glad you're doing what you can.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi