Changing Your Mind - Literally

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #206696 by OB1Shinobi
no idea if this will actually increase neuroplasticity or not but its all good advice regardless

http://healthreports.hubpages.com/hub/Brain-Training-Improve-Your-Neuroplasticity-with-10-Easy-Tips

also i stumbled on this, which again i have no way to determine if it really does much of any specific thing in the brain but i thought the exercises looked fun lol
i wish they would have done this when i was in school - and some of these are challenging even for adults, like rub the top of your head while you pat your stomach taken to a whole new level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afMOUmOynRI

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #206706 by
Replied by on topic Changing Your Mind - Literally
I've been quietly following along with this topic, and I just wanted to say that I find the discussion very interesting! I figured I'd contribute a video I feel is on the same vein of what is being discussed, it's a very thought provoking TED Talk.

https://www.ted.com/talks/sandrine_thuret_you_can_grow_new_brain_cells_here_s_how
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by .

More
8 years 5 months ago #206772 by OB1Shinobi
a pretty amazing story of brain transformation at an adult age

The Woman Who Changed Her Brain: Barbara Arrowsmith-Young at TEDxToronto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0td5aw1KXA

Barbara Arrowsmith-Young is the Creator and Director of Arrowsmith School and Arrowsmith Program, and the author of the international best-selling book The Woman Who Changed Her Brain (www.barbaraarrowsmithyoung.com/book). She holds a B.A.Sc. in Child Studies from the University of Guelph, and a Master's degree in School Psychology from the University of Toronto (Ontario Institute for Studies in Education). Arrowsmith-Young is recognized as the creator of one of the first practical applications of the principles of neuroplasticity to the treatment of learning disorders. Her program is implemented in 54 schools internationally."

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
7 years 9 months ago #248220 by Loudzoo
Thought this might be an interesting addition to this thread:
http://qz.com/722614/a-civil-servant-missing-most-of-his-brain-challenges-our-most-basic-theories-of-consciousness/

It's the medical case of a French man missing approx 90% of the neurons in his brain. This occurred over a period of perhaps 30 years.
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

His mind was healthy even though he had lost most of his brain. Amazing and fascinating!

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO: Initiate Journal , Apprentice Journal , Knight Journal , Loudzoo's Scrapbook
TM: Proteus
Knighted Apprentices: Tellahane , Skryym
Apprentices: Squint , REBender
Master's Thesis: The Jedi Book of Life
If peace cannot be maintained with honour, it is no longer peace . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 9 months ago #248222 by TheDude

Gisteron wrote: alternative medicine "Doctor"

Wondering what alternative medicine is supposed to mean, and why it's implied to be a bad thing. Basic herbalism is alternative medicine, but it works perfectly well. Ginger tea has solved quite a few stomachaches for me. Psychology and the practice of various kinds of talk therapy methods have been (and still are) looked down on as a fake science or an alternative medicine by some (this has been changing over time), though even Freudian psychoanalysis has demonstrable effectiveness. Chinese medicine is often called alternative medicine, and yet when I got nasty knuckle bruises in my kung fu classes rubbing a bit of dit da jow on the bruise solved the problem just fine. And aromatherapy has helped quite a few people with things like migraines...

Is the person who heals me not my doctor? If my doctor tells me to drink more ginger tea instead of writing me a prescription to some pill for a stomach problem, does that make the doctor an alternative medicine doctor? And if so, what's wrong with that?

More
7 years 9 months ago #248305 by Gisteron

TheDude wrote:

Gisteron wrote: alternative medicine "Doctor"

Wondering what alternative medicine is supposed to mean, and why it's implied to be a bad thing.

Well, alternative medicine in my understanding is pretty much any sort of treatment that is being sold as medical when meantime in actual medicine it is either not proven effective or proven ineffective. I do fail to see where in either the passage quoted above or the rest of the post it is quoted from I implied that it is somehow a "bad thing", setting aside what that means.

Basic herbalism is alternative medicine, but it works perfectly well.

The extent to which it works, it is incorporated into medicine and pharmaceutical production. The extent to which it is alternative medicine is the extent to which it has not been demonstrated to work.

Psychology and the practice of various kinds of talk therapy methods have been (and still are) looked down on as a fake science or an alternative medicine by some (this has been changing over time), though even Freudian psychoanalysis has demonstrable effectiveness.

See above. The extent to which those things are effective is the extent to which they are part of medicine and used as such. I am not myself an expert in matters of medicine but I have yet to meet one who would dismiss all of psychology as unscientific, though I also have yet to meet one who wouldn't dismiss Freudian psychoanalysis as just that.

Chinese medicine is often called alternative medicine, ...

If you would kindly specify what exactly "Chinese medicine" means, we can discuss that. From what I understand, there is medicine and then there is everything that isn't it. Much like with the examples before, the extent to which the set you mean by "Chinese medicine" overlaps with the set that is medicine, it is - tautologically - part of it. And the extent to which it doesn't it, well, doesn't. Is there some nuance or difficulty I am overlooking here?

And aromatherapy has helped quite a few people with things like migraines...

I'm not sure how that is a problem for anything either. The extent to which it does help with things it is recognized as helpful. The extent to which it doesn't, it isn't.

Is the person who heals me not my doctor?

No. A doctor is a person who holds a doctorate. That can be an MD, an academic title or a Doctor h.c. A physician is a formally educated and practicing medical professional. Someone who heals you is just someone who heals you. It implies nothing about either their job or their education or any titles to their name.

If my doctor tells me to drink more ginger tea instead of writing me a prescription to some pill for a stomach problem, does that make the doctor an alternative medicine doctor? And if so, what's wrong with that?

No, it doesn't. Earlier you wondered what alternative medicine means. Well, if it meant something as concrete as actual medicine does, there would be some standard one would have to meet, and some rule one could break. If I'm not mistaken, there is no such thing as an alternative medicine license that can be revoked the way an actual medical license can, is there?

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi