Helpful Apps

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #205775 by
Helpful Apps was created by
I decided to start this thread after realizing how many incredibly helpful apps there are out there.

Cyan started this one for the Insight Timer app which has become part of my daily life in one way or another.

I recently came across Track Your Happiness . At random times of the day, you receive alerts and are asked to take a mental snapshot of the moment and then answer a few questions. The goal is that you get an idea of your over-all happiness in different situations at different times so you can see the bigger picture and make changes as needed.

Please add your own apps here and tell us a little about them. :)

[EDIT: Sticky-ed 20151119]
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Jestor.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #205780 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Helpful Apps
This is sort of similar to yours Reliah, but I would like to add MoodTools .

When you feel like you're having a negative mood, you can go to the app and record your thoughts... you record what moods you're feeling, then you describe the situation, then any negative thoughts, then you write a challenge (for and against the situation, challenge your negativity), then how you feel differently.

The app is geared towards those who are in down or depressive moods.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #205805 by
Replied by on topic Helpful Apps
I'm sure many people have heard of it, but lumosity is a great brain trainer. It is really fun, but challenging and rewarding.

This is the Apple version, and this is the Android version.

If you have a windows phone, upon searching it will bring you to a very similar app. :D
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #205808 by
One that I'm using right now is called Freedom . It allows you to block certain distracting websites, or even the entire internet altogether for a set period of time that you determine, since I realized I have an impulse control problem with net addiction. The advantage to me in this app over one I previously mentioned (SelfControl), is that as long as you're using the free app and not subscribing, you can disable the app and get the internet back, which means that it can serve as a reminder that you're not supposed to be 'netting at the time, rather than acting as a nanny that refuses to let you use it; this means you actually get to train your mind to learn true self control, and the discipline that it requires.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #205809 by

Competent wrote: I'm sure many people have heard of it, but lumosity is a great brain trainer. It is really fun, but challenging and rewarding.

I was really interested in lumosity, did a bit of reading and it looks like it doesn't really improve cognitive development. I was really disappointed, but when you think something is too good to be true.... it usually is.

CryojenX wrote: One that I'm using right now is called Freedom. It allows you to block certain distracting websites, or even the entire internet altogether for a set period of time that you determine, since I realized I have an impulse control problem with net addiction.

I'm right there with you on habitually checking my phone. I will probably look into that freedom app once I start the meditation training in the IP.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #205813 by
Do Lumosity if it is fun for you, but don't expect it to really improve brain functionality.
Instead, read a good book or learn a new language. MUCH more useful.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #205819 by
What's Up is good.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #205939 by
Thank you all for your participation and suggestions.

I realized I have another one I forgot to mention. It's a Daily Challenge app - or you can use the website. You can pick a "track" specific to what you want to accomplish - such as being more active, choosing healthier snacks, organizing your home and life, etc. Every day you will be given a goal to accomplish in the track you have chosen.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #205942 by
Great idea!

I personally use, and love:

Headspace
It is a guided meditation app, with a new unique one each day. It has focused meditations for different moods and topics, and the creator is a former Monk. His TED talk is amazing.

MyFitnessPal
Probably redundant posting this as many people have heard of it, but it really helps me track my calories and carbs for Keto.

C25K - 5K Running Trainer
Guides you through customized audio through the Couch to 5k running course. Use it 3 times a week!

Water Your Body
Tracks daily water / liquid intake, love it.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #206032 by
Alan Watts - Out of the Trap

Has anyone had a chance to try that one out yet? I haven't, but it has really good reviews.
Haven't been able to find it for android, though.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi