Making of a Jedi Warrior

More
9 years 1 month ago #187112 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Making of a Jedi Warrior
all of these videos offer something i think is useful and/or functional in their own rights

what i like about this video is that it presents as much as an exploration as a tutorial
and they touch on a lot of legitimate considerations - such as what i call the "bystander phenomenon" which is well understood by police and paramedics

15 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usnMkEkC0-Y

5 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMB-3x62FIQ

this is a little exaggerated but basically accurate for what it says imo

just over 1 minute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqCFuEJHHLg

3 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CIb7gdshwQ

8 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9pbQclU9JM

People are complicated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #187117 by OB1Shinobi
2 mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpUbJGGcYH4

5 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKKuZuTcFio

6 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo1XliyQypY

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
9 years 1 month ago #187118 by OB1Shinobi
6 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY7Y1JoRnnI

7 min

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwWZaYVUAtE

6 min

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fV1aLYFt_I

People are complicated.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #187139 by OB1Shinobi
i want to give a quick commentary on some of the material presented as well as mention some ideas that i have not been able to find expressed in videos

in the "myths of knife attack 2" notice that the video gives specific examples of techniques that are no good

then he shows pictures of techniques that were used by the martial artists he (im assuming its a HE) prefers

in at least one instant he actually shows an old school picture of a "good" technique that he had just used as an example of "wrong" techniques being taught by the martial artists he doesnt prefer lol

its a reminder to me to keep my mind for my own and to encourage everyone to do the same

id like to point out that if you feel that some of the joint lock techniques which have been posted previously can work against someone who doesnt have a knife then that ought to suggest they could also work against someone who does

id also point out with a lot of joint lock techniques - if they work at all - they would work just as well regardless of which arm you catch

in several cases you see the attacker using their lead hand to hold on to the victim

from a submissions perspective this provides the solution in and of itself

take that arm and make sure they never missuse against an innocent person again

page ten has a bunch of examples of ways to handle a person with a knife if you think about it like that

in fact, this last krav video actually has a technically inferior demostration of a technique that was presented at least twice on that page, once as a gun disarm

looking at that technique it is easy to understand that if it is effective at all then it would be effective regardless of which arm you got a hold of

id like to add that as a general rule its good to look at every technique you see in every martial art from the perspective of there being a knife in your hand and/or in their hand/s

certain things like "flow drills" of wing chun or kali take on a whole new level of implication and meaning when you add a knife to the picture

i want to add to the idea of taking the fight to the ground

i intend to put some basic groundwork videos in here eventually but its closer to the end of the list imo of whats important and heres why; as a general rule i think youre better off on your feet unless your fighting for a trophy or a title

the ground has all kinds of crap on it
the kind of road rash you get from fighting on the ground can be terrible actually
i know because ive lived and fought on concrete

also, people have friends
and like the old commercial says, friends dont let friends fight fair lol

YOUR friends might, maybe, but not the friends of the kind of people we're talking about here

also on the ground you dont know if theyll suddenly start cutting or stabbing you, and thats a huge reason to avoid any kind of progressive submission scenario (i.e. a scenario where you work step by step towards a submission in a progressive fashion the way it is done in bjj)

ironically enough, once its clear they ARE using a knife it might be much easier to isolate the knife wielding arm by getting them off their feet and limiting their range of mobility

if you personally have the technical ability to force someone to the ground and achieve an armar of any kind, then in this case that could be your smartest option simply because your superior skill on the ground could in fact be something like an equalizer in a functional way

it could also get you killed

its better to think about it before hand

which leads to the final point to bring up

supposing the knife attack doesnt directly involve you?
suppose youre walking along on your merry way and just happen onto the event of someone being stabbed or cut up

its better to work it out as well as you can right now what level of interference you feel responsible for because when its time to make the decision there wont be any time left to make it - the skills and the parameters which surround them need to already be decided to as specific a degree as is realistically achievable

this truism is one of the foundations of warrior discipline

People are complicated.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 1 month ago #187140 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Making of a Jedi Warrior
from the fbi's fitness test minimum requirements...

Each of these four exercises must be separated by only a five-minute break.

1. Sit-ups in one minute

This test consists of one minute of continuous sit-ups — no pauses. For a rep to count, you must lift your torso until your back is perpendicular to the floor; at the end of each rep, your shoulder blades have to touch the floor.

Passing for women: 35+ sit-ups
Passing for men: 38+ sit-ups

2. 300-meter sprint

The 300-meter sprint is an all-out run covering ¾ of a lap of a standard track — about 2/10 of a mile. You start the sprint from a standing position (no track-style starts allowed).

Passing for women: 64.9 seconds or faster
Passing for men: 52.4 seconds or faster

3. Push-ups

In this test, you’ll do as many push-ups as you can. The test isn’t timed, but you have to do the push-ups continuously (no breaks). Both men and women must do full push-ups with toes on the floor. You must lower your body down until your upper arms are parallel to the ground for a rep to count.

Passing for women: 14+ pushups
Passing for men: 30+ pushups

4. 1.5-mile run

To assess endurance, the final portion of the test is a 1.5-mile run, or six laps around a standard track.

Passing for women: 13:59 or faster
Passing for men: 12:24 or faster

Note: Each of the passing scores above is the minimum for a score of one on the test. To pass the test, you need a score of one or greater on each individual test and a cumulative score of at least 12. (Better results yield higher scores.) If you’re really curious about how you’d do, check out the full ranking system on the FBI’s website.

i could pass the whole thing minus the 5 minute intervals in my sleep.....and use the spare time to take a nap...the minimums when i was in the navy were higher than these...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #187145 by OB1Shinobi
maybe i need you to coach me! i dont know what my time would be but i would pass that

i would probably use the intervals, but i would pass

my cardio is getting better

its still not where it needs to be

the push ups wouldnt be a problem at all - i hate situps because my tailbone blisters when i do them but i can do 38 in one go

i usually do crunches, planks, legifts and whatever other core bodyweight exercizes instead

People are complicated.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #187156 by OB1Shinobi
also, thank you for posting that
i think that keeping oneself up to a definite standard is probably more important than any technique

strong healthy people are tough
or at least tougher

People are complicated.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #187167 by Nicole Judge
I hope I'm not trolling in here, but this is what a "Jedi Warrior" always ment to me :D

Balance, dignity and internal power.

~ may the Force guide us ~
the root source of suffering is an ignorance of ourselves

Teaching Masters: V-Tog, tzb, Darren
Apprentices: yet to come...
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Nicole Judge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #187279 by OB1Shinobi
thats awesome! i enjoyed that a lot; she is elegant to watch and i could almost keep up with her!
i also think that qigong and tai chi are very much a part of being a jedi warrior

"balance, dignity, and internal power"

for sure

really i think that the warrior archetype is one of expansion and inclusiveness
warriors adapt to and integrate all range of experience and achievement, and the idea of being "too warriory" lol for something that has value is just as silly to do as it is to say

imo a large part of becoming a warrior means learning how to face every moment with open eyes and "MUCH GUSTO!"
for the less pleasant moments simply to say we face them directly and energetically

which reminds me...

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nicole Judge

More
9 years 1 month ago #187280 by OB1Shinobi
i have to preface this by saying that i have never been in the military
ive mostly been keeping a respectful distance from that aspect because i dont want to misrepresent myself or to be disrespectful to the military people here at the temple

obviously the nature of the thread is inherently martial so...

this is the U.S. Rangers Creed
i dont guess i need to say much about it really
it speaks for itself

Ranger

Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger, fully knowing the hazards of my chosen profession, I will always endeavor to uphold the prestige, honor, and high esprit de corps of the Rangers.

Acknowledging the fact that a Ranger is a more elite Soldier who arrives at the cutting edge of battle by land, sea, or air, I accept the fact that as a Ranger my country expects me to move further, faster and fight harder than any other Soldier.

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be, one-hundred-percent and then some.

Gallantly will I show the world that I am a specially selected and well-trained Soldier. My courtesy to superior officers, neatness of dress and care of equipment shall set the example for others to follow.

Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might. Surrender is not a Ranger word. I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy and under no circumstances will I ever embarrass my country.

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight on to the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor.

Rangers lead the way!

People are complicated.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi