20 40 or even 60 years from now?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 week ago #98674 by
20+ years from now what will the traditionals established religions be like if the trend away from them continues and will people continue to abandon religion?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 week ago #98681 by steamboat28
This question is hard to answer, because it doesn't specify what constitutes a "traditional religion", and assumes a statistical trend away from religion. It is my understanding (correct me if I am wrong) that while the absolute number of nonreligious individuals is on the rise, their percentage among the world's population is on the decline, which would seemingly indicate a trend toward religion. Furthermore, it assumes that religions will change based solely on the number of adherents, which is something that doesn't hold a lot of historical plausibility, and is relatively hard to measure statistically.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Whyte Horse
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • Do not try to understand me... rather realize there is no me.
More
11 years 1 week ago #98699 by Whyte Horse
In 20 years the baby boomers will all be mostly dead. In 40 years my generation will all be mostly dead-ish. In 60 years the next gen will be deadish. Since people usually keep their religion for life, you can expect the numbers to fall accordingly.

Strangely, the Amish keep increasing their numbers and have large birth rates so you can bet they'll be around in 60 years.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #98761 by

steamboat28 wrote: This question is hard to answer, because it doesn't specify what constitutes a "traditional religion", and assumes a statistical trend away from religion. It is my understanding (correct me if I am wrong) that while the absolute number of nonreligious individuals is on the rise, their percentage among the world's population is on the decline, which would seemingly indicate a trend toward religion. Furthermore, it assumes that religions will change based solely on the number of adherents, which is something that doesn't hold a lot of historical plausibility, and is relatively hard to measure statistically.

Are you an engineer?
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by . Reason: spelling

More
11 years 1 week ago #98765 by Wescli Wardest
To quote Yoda, “Difficult to see, always in motion is the future.”

Attachment CustomerServiceLessons_Yoda.jpg not found

Sorry, I couldn't help it! :P

Monastic Order of Knights
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Adder, MCSH

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 week ago #99070 by

Wescli Wardest wrote: To quote Yoda, “Difficult to see, always in motion is the future.”

Haha! That's what I should have said :D Seriously though, I'm not worried about the future. The Now itself is more than I can handle sometimes.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 week ago #99079 by

Whyte Horse wrote: In 20 years the baby boomers will all be mostly dead. In 40 years my generation will all be mostly dead-ish. In 60 years the next gen will be deadish. Since people usually keep their religion for life, you can expect the numbers to fall accordingly.

Strangely, the Amish keep increasing their numbers and have large birth rates so you can bet they'll be around in 60 years.

Will religion fade away with each generation?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 week ago #99081 by
i think that, if you examine the statistics, it already has, especially in australia and the UK.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 week ago #99084 by

Desolous wrote: i think that, if you examine the statistics, it already has, especially in australia and the UK.

So what do you think will happenin these societies?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 days ago #99441 by

Streen wrote:

Wescli Wardest wrote: To quote Yoda, “Difficult to see, always in motion is the future.”

Haha! That's what I should have said :D Seriously though, I'm not worried about the future. The Now itself is more than I can handle sometimes.

All time is NOW.

The Power of Now

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi