Atheism: Belief or not a belief?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #246285 by
Replied by on topic Atheism: Belief or not a belief?
Well done. I have seen one person who has come through this discussion with a different perspective than they started with. I think the discussion was worth it. (Still is, perhaps.)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #246296 by Manu
Is being a Jedi a religion or just a philosophy, or a code? ;)

Atheism is disbelief in God.

But not all atheist are alike.

Some atheist simply do not believe in God due to a lack of proof, and never give the subject a second thought. To these type of atheists, atheism is not a belief system, but rather simply a fact ("there is no God" is the same as saying, "you can't breathe underwater").

Other atheists, however, had a tough break from religion, and embracing atheism has been a pivotal moment in their lives where they broke off from abuse, lies, and mental barriers, and embraced the freedom (and responsibility!) that comes with being the only one in charge of your life. To these people, whether they are militant or not, atheism is important, and so it is a large part of their identity, in the same way being a Jedi might be a large part of our identity (or not).

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #246301 by
Replied by on topic Atheism: Belief or not a belief?

Manu wrote: Is being a Jedi a religion or just a philosophy, or a code? ;)

Atheism is disbelief in God.

But not all atheist are alike.

Some atheist simply do not believe in God due to a lack of proof, and never give the subject a second thought. To these type of atheists, atheism is not a belief system, but rather simply a fact ("there is no God" is the same as saying, "you can't breathe underwater").

Other atheists, however, had a tough break from religion, and embracing atheism has been a pivotal moment in their lives where they broke off from abuse, lies, and mental barriers, and embraced the freedom (and responsibility!) that comes with being the only one in charge of your life. To these people, whether they are militant or not, atheism is important, and so it is a large part of their identity, in the same way being a Jedi might be a large part of our identity (or not).

You're right. Not all atheists are alike, but merely share a non-belief in gods.

I simply reject the claim that god(s) exist.

More
7 years 9 months ago #246387 by Adder

Luthien wrote:

Adder wrote:

Luthien wrote:

Adder wrote: It seems more practical to use the label IMO to reference someone who is exposed to the concept and denies it, versus someone who has not been exposed to the concept and has no position on it. So in that denial, it constitutes a belief, IMO.

I don't deny; I reject. There's nothing to confess, so denial isn't my position.

Same dif to me :ohmy: :pinch:

Okay, so I won't argue over definitions anymore. You're a big boy; use the tools available to you to understand why they are truly different.

:P
Checks pants, yep.
I know the difference the words can mean.... how I used them there is no difference. You can disagree as much as you like, its ok with me.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
7 years 9 months ago #246406 by steamboat28
Whether or not it is a belief, it is grouped in the category of belief discussion. Much like when you ask someone for a stranger's hair color and they say "they're bald"--you're still talking about the type of natural head covering, and we don't spout nonsense about how not having hair doesn't count.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi