Is questioning one's faith inevitable?

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #182883 by OB1Shinobi
its an inevitable part of growth
if growth stops then faith may never be questioned (this is often the very reason that the growth stops - so fath doesnt have to be questioned) but at a certain point we can go no further without re-evaluating what we belive and updating ourselves and our views

i feel i have to always be open to new understanding.

its way more ok to see that i was wrong before and then adapt to new information than it is to deny truth because i am afraid or just stubborn

People are complicated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 weeks ago #182885 by
I have the enviable position of never being part of a religious family, yet I always sought out religion. Though the faiths I tried to follow never really felt 'right' and so I never committed to them. If faith is a deeply held conviction then I guess I have not really questioned my own faith (once I'd established what that was!) but that of others.

There are circumstances in life that anyone will inevitably question their faith, such as a death of a loved one etc. Especially if you are part of a faith that teaches reward for the good as the question arises as to: why that good person has been taken away and those good people left have to suffer the pain of that loss?

Yet, it is exactly these questions and our search for answers that will likely strengthen or break a persons faith.

I agree with OB1, I think questioning faith is essential for growth or progression (that's not to say that remaining where you are is not perfectly fine, things will just remain the same - if it's not broken don't fix it!)

People are inquisitive and on the whole I think we will continue to search for answers when our current system cannot provide them :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 weeks ago #182901 by
While on the other hand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af815ksm4RU

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #182973 by Cyan Sarden
I used to question my faith from the time I became (or was made) a conscious member of the Protestant Church. I never really felt 'at home' there, it just didn't feel right. I first checked out Buddhism, later quit the church and basically lived without any religious belief system for probably around 15 years until I found the Temple and with it a place and a religion that indeed does 'feel right' to me. I just know in my heart that this is it.

I can't really speak of the population in general, but I don't know many religious people, although most everyone I know used to be a member of one of our state religions (Protestantism and Catholicism that is) and now isn't.

A great number of my students are Muslims and they seem to adhere to their religious beliefs much more strongly than the Christians (or former Christians) I know.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 weeks ago #182974 by
In an episode of House M.D (Season 2 Episode 19 - House vs God) a faith healer comes in and at one point refuses treatment on the basis of his beliefs. House asks Dr Wilson to help and Dr Wilson makes the argument that one of the hall marks of a saint is humility, a saint would have to consider that they could be wrong even if they believed they were right. The faith healer agrees to the treatment.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 weeks ago #183009 by
Yes. Question everything - when the question come us.

This is a part of life. This is inevitable because we are evolving. We are constantly changing. We either adapt or resist the change. If a person holds onto a faith or a belief to the point that this person resists the obvious change that the Force is offering, suggesting or implementing, that person is stagnant. that person is "dead". And that person is out of touch with what is moving within the world.

If a person's faith is truly "strong" and accurate for the present state of things, no matter the intensity of the questioning, it will not waiver. Look into the doubt, allow for the shifts and welcome these questions because this process should affirm the reasons behind the faith.

If things are true and accurate, questioning will only demonstrate why the faith is in place. If this period of doubt "destroys" the faith, then use that opening to let go, adapt and create a new faith.

Forms constantly change. Spirit is eternal. All things in the material world change. Since we are material beings, we need to allow for this change inside and outside of ourselves.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #183024 by
I don't think anyone should have faith in anything, but rather our beliefs should be firmly rooted in the best objective evidence available to us, and in our own observations. Nothing should be accepted as true on faith.
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by .

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #183028 by OB1Shinobi

Red_Eye_Jedi wrote: I don't think anyone should have faith in anything

Nothing should be accepted as true on faith.

whats your opinion on the moon landing?

molecules?

the big bang?

was george washington REALLY the first president of the united states?

is there really such a thing as "quebec"?

am i dreaming of you, or are you dreaming of me?

im not advocating the rejection of burden of proof
im simply responding to the presentaton of an absolute which i know is not realistic for me personally

i accept that a degree of faith is ok because otherwise i wont be able to have faith in simple communication woth other people

if there actually are any other people

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #183029 by Edan
I sense that this thread is about to go off topic... So can we keep it about whether one will question their faith, rather than whether someone should have religious/spiritual faith at all

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #183031 by Adder

Edan wrote: I sense that this thread is about to go off topic... So can we keep it about whether one will question their faith, rather than whether someone should have religious/spiritual faith at all

I was just thinking about the that. I guess it happens at death or near death, and probably manifests in various forms within psychosis. I guess its only a 'problem' when it causes inappropriate outcomes, such that the belief leads the believer to act in a way which is contrary to the consensual reality, or increases harm to oneself. Watt's and Jiddu K. work with breaking down the conditioned view of the world which incorporates challenging ones beliefs, so its probably a useful thing to be aware of the extent of faith and belief in oneself but also to know what its like to have these challenged or perhaps removed.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi