Islam Racism? Excerpt from WWYD

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 7 months ago #118216 by Jestor
WWYD (What would You Do) is a show putting everyday people in unique situations to test folks...

Very interesting...

The only comment, is not only "is an American and American", but I would say we are all brothers...;)

But, they are talking to a soldier...

A human being is a human being...

http://www.upworthy.com/a-boy-makes-anti-muslim-comments-in-front-of-an-american-soldier-the-soldiers-reply-priceless

Warning: Spoiler!

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #118217 by Gisteron

Gisteron wrote: Just note how only one of the dozens and dozens who come around actually is agreeing with the antagonist, and not even loudly and aggressively but subtle. Its amazing how the studio portrayed this as a big problem before even showing the footage that actually testifies for how a non-issue it is in reality. Also, I wonder if a real Muslim would react this calmly and easily if he was provoked like that. I'd have the police around the corner pretty soon if I was him.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

More
10 years 7 months ago #118222 by Kohadre
I'm not sure if a prejudiced opinion towards someone of a different religion could truly be called racism. Perhaps bigotry, or ignorance, but I think racism is taking it a bit far.

rac·ism
n.
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

I understand that racism is a serious social issue, however I also think people are too eager to throw out the label where it in truth doesn't apply.

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
10 years 7 months ago #118223 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Islam Racism? Excerpt from WWYD
True.

Racism would be to assume the person is muslim because he looks middle-eastern, and then again, I wouldnt condemn that... It would be quite logical to expect a middle-eastern person to be muslim if every single middle-eastern person you've ever met was indeed muslim.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #118228 by
Replied by on topic Islam Racism? Excerpt from WWYD

ren wrote: True.

Racism would be to assume the person is muslim because he looks middle-eastern, and then again, I wouldnt condemn that... It would be quite logical to expect a middle-eastern person to be muslim if every single middle-eastern person you've ever met was indeed muslim.

Muslim isn't a race. Is being middle-eastern a race?

• ren
    Registered
More
10 years 7 months ago #118230 by ren
Well it all depends on how you classify.

You could say there's a middle eastern race, far east race, european, etc... That there's no race at all, or that there's persian, and arabic, turkic, kurd, etc.

More
10 years 7 months ago #118236 by Lykeios Little Raven
I love "What Would You Do?"! I haven't seen this one but that was a good one! That, however, is what I would expect to hear from an upstanding member of our military. My buddy served in the marines and he has this kind of attitude. A true American, military or not, can understand that everything this soldier said is true.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #118243 by

ren wrote: Well it all depends on how you classify.

You could say there's a middle eastern race, far east race, european, etc... That there's no race at all, or that there's persian, and arabic, turkic, kurd, etc.

I think there is only one race, the human race. Everything else is nonsense pulling us apart and seperating us and that is BS.

• ren
    Registered
More
10 years 7 months ago #118248 by ren
I don't think there's anything wrong with classification. The problems arise when people use the classification for questionable purposes.

From a scientific POV, it seems very stupid to classify the rest of life the way we currently do, yet claim human genetic differences are too small to bother with classification.

The greatest "ism" we have right now is sexism. We seem to find it normal to segregate based on gender. Our gender is written down on our ID cards. We are forced to identify one way or the other, to the point that some people will feel better when a piece of paper shows a "F" where a "M" used to be. We find our ancestors retarded for thinking it was perfectly normal to have "black" toilets and "white" toilets. We pass laws, allow policies that are gender-specific: our society has never been so sexist. In good time, the future generations will find us as retarded as our ancestors... Not because we are able to see a difference between males and females, but because of what we do with it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #118249 by
Most people are racist based on color more than anything else. Someone who passes as a race they are not will usually be treated as if they are that race because your average person can't tell the difference. So whether or not middle eastern is a race, people who look middle eastern can face racism based on that.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi