Honey and antibiotics

More
10 years 7 months ago #116938 by Wescli Wardest

yasoooo wrote: If a man dies and honey is found within him, fire will not touch his body [i.e., he will be immune from the burning of hell]." The Prophet (s.a.w.s.) himself used to drink a glass of honey and water each morning on an empty stomach.

Honey is considered the food of foods, the drink of drinks, and the drug of drugs.

Understanding some parts of other religions... I am curious to ask, would this not also pertain to honey mead or honey liqueur?

Most Westerners are at least passingly familiar with the Islamic belief concerning alcoholic beverages.

Theoretically!!!

In conservative Muslim countries which have instituted some form of shari'a law, the production and consumption of alcholic drinks is absolutely forbidden, upon pain of death or some other unpleasant form of punishment. The reason for this type of law stems from the Qur'an, presumably the basis of Islamic jurisprudence. The Qur'an has some very strong language with respect to alcohol:

"O ye who believe! Intoxicants and gambling, (dedication of) stones, and (divination by) arrows, are an abomination,- of Satan's handwork: eschew such (abomination), that ye may prosper." (Surah 5:90, Yusuf Ali)

"They ask thee concerning wine and gambling. Say: "In them is great sin, and some profit, for men; but the sin is greater than the profit." They ask thee how much they are to spend; Say: "What is beyond your needs." Thus doth Allah Make clear to you His Signs: In order that ye may consider." (Surah 2:219, Yusuf Ali)

This seems pretty straightforward. Alcohol is a sin, it is Satan's handiwork. It is something to be avoided by all good Muslims. Yet, we see that the Qur'an then teaches that "Satan's handiwork" will appear in the Paradise which Allah is said to prepare for faithful Muslims,

"(Here is) a Parable of the Garden which the righteous are promised: in it are rivers of water incorruptible; rivers of milk of which the taste never changes; rivers of wine, a joy to those who drink; and rivers of honey pure and clear. In it there are for them all kinds of fruits; and Grace from their Lord. (Can those in such Bliss) be compared to such as shall dwell for ever in the Fire, and be given, to drink, boiling water, so that it cuts up their bowels (to pieces)?" (Surah 47:15, Yusuf Ali)

There certainly seems to be a disconnect in the message presented by the Qur'an on this topic. After all, Surahs 2:219 and 5:90 speak against wine, yet this same beverage flows in Allah's garden as a river! On the surface this appears to be a basic contradiction in the Qur'an.

Muslim apologists typically rebut by remarking that the wine found in the rivers of Paradise is non-alcoholic. Much of this argument rests on a pragmatic, rather than textual or contextual, foundation. "Even though wine is the work of Satan, if it appears in Paradise, then in that place it must be non-alcoholic", so the argument generally runs. However, a cross-referential argument is advanced, as well. Many Muslims point to Surah 37:40-47 as proof for the claim of "dryness" in the wine of Paradise:

"But the sincere (and devoted) Servants of Allah,- For them is a Sustenance determined, Fruits (Delights); and they (shall enjoy) honour and dignity, In Gardens of Felicity, Facing each other on Thrones (of Dignity): Round will be passed to them a Cup from a clear-flowing fountain, Crystal-white, of a taste delicious to those who drink (thereof), Free from headiness; nor will they suffer intoxication therefrom."

Thus, the cup from the clear-flowing fountain is a drink which does not produce drunkenness. Therefore, the river of wine in Paradise is non-alcoholic! Unfortunately for the apologists, this argument is based upon some unsound premises. To begin with, it should be noted that the connexion made between Surahs 47:15 and 37:45ff is tenuous, at best. The argument is arbitrary - A is a drink, and B is a drink, thus A must equal B. Yet, 47:15 refers to a flowing river of wine, while 37:45 refers to a cup of unspecified beverage. These are not necessarily the same thing. However, much Muslim exposition on this subject tends to assume just this connexion. While commenting on 47:15, Yusuf Ali discusses the river of wine, one of the four flowing rivers in Paradise:

"...(3) wine, not like any wine on earth, for it leaves no headaches behind, and causes no intoxication, which is a kind of madness or poison, but is ever a joy to drink..."1

His otherwise unqualified statement appears to be drawn from the points in 37:45 about the beverage in the cup from the clear-flowing fountain not causing intoxication. Yet, it must again be noted that it is never specified what the drink from the clear-flowing fountain is! In fact, the description of the fountain and the liquid in the cup as "clear" and "crystal-white" would seem to argue against this beverage being wine. Wine, even white wine, is not white in colour nor entirely free from turbidity. Even white wines have a yellowish tint due to the presence of aromatic compounds2, and there will always be some cloudiness due to the presence of fermentation impurities. Further, the very fact that the Qur'an specifically details that the liquid from the fountain does not produce intoxication (37:47) would seem to argue that the author did not have wine (which does produce intoxication) in mind.

Most importantly, however, we should note that the Arabic behind the Quranic statement about wine flowing in rivers in Paradise supports the contention that this wine is alcoholic. Hearkening back to 47:15 earlier, look at the clause "rivers of wine, a joy to those who drink", which in Arabic (transliterated) says - "...waanhaarun min khamrin laththatin lilshshaaribeena..."3. The word translated as "wine" (khamrin) in this passage is from the root khmr. This is a root which has the general meaning of fermentation or leavening; it can denote both the fermentation of juices to produce wine, and it can also denote the rising of bread due to yeast action. Some examples of its use with respect to wine:

l-'islaam harram l-khamir - "Islam declared wine unlawful"

'itha khammar 'asiir l-'inab ma yinshirib - "If grape juice ferments, it will not be drinkable"

In both of the above examples, the khmr root is used to denote either the process of fermentation, or the result of that process - wine. Clearly, when one speaks of khmr in the drinking sense, one is speaking of a fermented beverage produced from grape or other types of fruit juice.

The khmr root is completely absent from the passage in 37:40-47, which would seem to suggest that the Qur'an is not speaking of wine or other fermented beverages in that portion. Likewise, due to the absence, it seems highly unlikely that the liquid in 37:45 is the same as in 47:15, where it is explicitly specified as being wine, khamrin.

Thus, despite the oft-times question-begging claims made by Muslim apologists about this contradiction in the Qur'an, there is not a good textual or contextual reason to believe that the wine presented in 47:15 as flowing in a river in Allah's Paradise is non-alcoholic. Rather, it is described using a word in Arabic which specifically refers to fermented, alcoholic beverages and to the process which makes them that way. Thus, we find that the Qur'an is double-minded on the issue of alcoholic drinks. While wine is dangerous and sinful for Muslims, the product of Satan himself, this drink is yet flowing in great abundance in Allah's Paradise.

Monastic Order of Knights

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #117018 by
Replied by on topic Honey and antibiotics
Honey with lemon is a great cough syrup. So is honey with a little whiskey.

More
10 years 7 months ago #117203 by Wescli Wardest
The Christian bible has many contradictions in it that many seem to ignore or explain away. It is their belief and they are welcome to it.

I have studied many religions of the world and found the same phenomenon in every organized religion. And every member will claim that it is being taken out of context or not being accurately represented or flat out accuse another of not knowing what they are talking about. People seem to get very defensive when you point out things they don’t like or disagree with them.

Many people will question why you post what you post. I think that it’s great you found a truth to believe in and I am very happy for you.

Have you considered looking into other philosophical aspects for comparison?

Monastic Order of Knights

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
10 years 7 months ago #117217 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Honey and antibiotics

Rickie The Grey wrote: Honey with lemon is a great cough syrup. So is honey with a little whiskey.

The same is true without the honey though. regular sugar, hot water and whiskey topped by a slice of lemon do the trick.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #117218 by

ren wrote:

Rickie The Grey wrote: Honey with lemon is a great cough syrup. So is honey with a little whiskey.

The same is true without the honey though. regular sugar, hot water and whiskey topped by a slice of lemon do the trick.

Yes it does and they put stuff like that in bottles on store shelves. I just feel better using honey rather than refined sugar as a matter of choice.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #135074 by
Ok, had to share this. I made this years ago after watching the movie Idiocracy. My friend is obsessed with honey, and it made me think about how honey might be advertised in that silly dystopian future. This is what I came up with:

Attachment he02d854.jpg not found

So ridiculous, but it still makes me laugh every time I see it.
Attachments:

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
10 years 2 months ago #135172 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Honey and antibiotics
Your ad is clearly gay, showing a picture of actual honey and all. A proper non-gay ad from idiocracy would be:

If you don't eat saint god's adult honey... Fuck you! (It's got electrolytes !!!)

And of course you have to haul ass to get the golden stuff at a starbucks :P

Attachment h3a11918.jpg not found

Attachment hf988720.jpg not found

That movie is genius (despite its name) :D

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
Attachments:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #135174 by
I've felt bloody crap his week and honey and lemon has kept me going.....

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #135200 by
Honey's got what Jedis need!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #148974 by
I discovered Tea tree oil and never looked back, living the the tropics i found it effective for a wide range of things.

i was convinced of its power over conventional medicine, after me and my sister both got verrucas on our feet, from our local swimming pool, a small amount of tea tree oil cured mine in a week, but my sister had laser treatment that made hers explode in to a massive 4 inch patch of mosaic verrucas, and she needed a long time trying other creams and products to clear it up.

10 mill bottle lasted me years its so potent be careful with it. it will burn if over used. Manuka tea tree honey is sure to wipe out any microbe : )
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi