The Myth of Myths

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 weeks ago #100990 by
The Myth of Myths was created by
Having just watched the video by J Campbell on the Message of the Myths, I'm afraid it has just left me cold. He is obviously a very learned man and an excellent orator but to me a Myth is just that, a Myth.
I don't need fairy tales from times gone past used to frighten, impress or to try to justify their chosen religion or god to influence me. I may be un Jedi like in my thinking but I think logic, deal in facts and see things mainly in black and white, good and bad, up or down etc. For me the are very few grey areas, we are born-live and die, this is a fact of life. No metaphoric stories or tales will change that.
The sooner we leave behind these archaic religions and myths behind, they mean nothing, then we can look to the future. When I see some of these grand structures depicting Myths, all I see is the slavery and hardship endured by the poor people forced to build them, that is a fact.
After all the Force is seen as black and white, to that there is no Myth, go forward in peace,may the force be with you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 2 weeks ago #101041 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re: The Myth of Myths
Ah but many don't see the force as black and white...

I used to see everything as black and white, but life taught me that there is a lot of grey...stealing is wrong, stealing food to survive falls into that grey area...

I agree that archaic views need to either evolve or perish...

For me, every myth, every legend is based on some fact, some small nugget of truth...we must sift through all the "crap" in order to find that nugget...in order to do that we need the myths and legends, otherwise we lose that nugget, until someone manages to rediscover it...there can be valuable lessons if one is able to see through the illusion...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 weeks ago #101043 by
Replied by on topic Re: The Myth of Myths
To me, stealing is stealing, to justify it by saying its a need to survive is not right, there is no grey area, do we rob Peter to pay Paul?
In my experience "Grey Areas" are used by individuals to try and support their claims or arguments to try and sway things in their favour or cloud issues as the example above, theft is theft whatever the reason, doesn't make it right.
As for Myths, these may be based on fact, which I don't dispute but in this day and age there is nothing new to be learned from them. As I see it see them they are like the fisherman who caught a tiddler but to friends it was a marlin, just tales to impress the masses.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago - 11 years 2 weeks ago #101044 by Alexandre Orion
Your senses do not necessarily deceive you, but your interpretation may be limited. Logic, left to itself, denies itself ...

The stories are not to be believed as facts, they are only analogous ... They are cautionary, give us the means of making sense of things once logic fails.

You must be libertarian, after Robert Nozick, William. As such, I must oppose your opinion : yes, we do rob Peter to pay Paul, when Peter has too much and Paul has nothing. If some consider that 'theft', well, I wish them a good solid dose of desperation in order to see things more clearly.

Compassion and economy may most certainly be bedfellows. Compassion and avarice may not be ...

:dry:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 11 years 2 weeks ago by Alexandre Orion. Reason: forgot the end of a phrase
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 weeks ago #101047 by
Logic frees my mind to focus on whats important in life and not to dwell on fairy tales and analogues. The spirituality i get from this enables be to fully embrace life, this i get from my learnings and experience and my ability to pass these on to others whether their free thinkers or not.
In all forms of life it is simply the survival of ther fittest so to speak and man is no different in that respect. A person may be greedy but the journey to that greed may have been a hard and deserved one so who are we to rob him of his right to that journey.
This is a fine example of how "Grey Areas" can mask the injustice of the haves and have not, If you dont have then work for it.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #101054 by Alexandre Orion
That seems to deny the concept of inalienable rights (Locke).

Moreover, recent studies in empathy (Batson, University of Kansas) suggest that your opinions are largely untenable. But you are free to feel that way until you don't or are shown differently.

We somehow do not turn out to be as much the "dog-eat-dog" bastards that we may even want to be ...

:P

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 weeks ago #101092 by
Being as I don't believe in god in any of his concepts, then I certainly don't believe in any of his " inalienable rights "

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 2 weeks ago #101094 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: The Myth of Myths
Stealing is stealing you are right...;)

And against the law...

But to feed my family, I would do it cause the greater good, of feeding my children, comes before my worrying about the lessor good of man's law...:P

Have you never learned a lesson from a mythical tale?

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 weeks ago - 11 years 2 weeks ago #101096 by
The tale is ultimately all that matters. The why, the motivations. It is why we have trials.

If everything were black and white, cut and dry, we would have no reason to go to court to tell our stories. Facts is facts right?
Last edit: 11 years 2 weeks ago by .

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #101097 by Wescli Wardest
This is not true in all cases, but I have observed many times that people tend to claim they don’t believe in a higher authority out of convenience. Being “nice,” “good” or “moral” seems to be a serious inconvenience to some. And if they claim not to believe in the things that help to govern others than that can be an easy personal justification for whatever behavior they desire.

Part of a hypothetical conversation…
I would act like a decent human being, but I don’t believe in the deity or the principals put forth by the religious orders which submit to that particular belief system, so I am excused from being held accountable for my behavior based on how it is judged by others.

I know, that sounds harsh. But, based on my beliefs and willingness to stand for those that can’t or don’t stand for themselves, it is my response.

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin, Alexandre Orion

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi