Parable of the Strawberry

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 10 months ago #15911 by
Parable of the Strawberry was created by
\"Buddha told a parable in a sutra:

A man travelling across a field encountered a tiger. He fled, the tiger after him. Coming at a precipice, he caught hold of the root of a wild vine and swung himself down over the edge. The tiger sniffed after him from above. Trembling, the man looked down to where, far below, another tiger was waiting to eat him. Only the vine sustained him.

Two mice, one white and one black, little by little started to gnaw on the vine. The man saw a luscious strawberry near him. Grasping the vine with one hand, he plucked the strawberry with the other. How sweet it tasted!\"

One interpretation might be that the tiger behind him was the past and the tiger below was the future. The black and white mice yin and yang and the ever present now is the strawberry.

Only by being aware of the past and future but being focused on the present can we truly appreciate life when we live in the moment.
How much of life goes by in a blink because we're obsessing over something in the past we cannot change or something in the future which only may happen?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 10 months ago #15912 by
Replied by on topic Re:Parable of the Strawberry
another way to look at it could be no matter how messed up a situation is there is good there to if we look hard enough.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 10 months ago #15922 by
azrel wrote:

another way to look at it could be no matter how messed up a situation is there is good there to if we look hard enough.

That's the way I always interpreted it. I tend to not look as deeply into things as I should. Unless I shouldn't, then I read way too much into it. :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 10 months ago #16015 by
I love the deep aspect about it.......thank you white crane for this post. Thinking with out thinking is a great thing.

Todd

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 10 months ago #16350 by
wow i had heard this story but never rally given it much thought i love the interpretation given

\"One interpretation might be that the tiger behind him was the past and the tiger below was the future. The black and white mice yin and yang and the ever present now is the strawberry.

Only by being aware of the past and future but being focused on the present can we truly appreciate life when we live in the moment.
How much of life goes by in a _b_link__ because we're obsessing over something in the past we cannot change or something in the future which only may happen?\"

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #19202 by
See what happens when you post without checking. I just posted this in another thread. LOL Now I'll have to find the one about the Zen master and the turtle. How did it go...............
Last edit: 15 years 6 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 6 months ago #19204 by
Good to see you again Master Merin. Welcome back.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi