Daily Koans

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 weeks ago #12891 by
Replied by on topic Re:Daily Koans
The Zen master Hakuin was praised by his neighbours as one living a pure life.

A beautiful Japanese girl whose parents owned a food store lived near him. Suddenly, without any warning, her parents discovered she was with child.

This made her parents angry. She would not confess who the man was, but after much harassment at last named Hakuin.

In great anger the parent went to the master. \"Is that so?\" was all he would say.

After the child was born it was brought to Hakuin. By this time he had lost his reputation, which did not trouble him, but he took very good care of the child. He obtained milk from his neighbours and everything else he needed.

A year later the girl-mother could stand it no longer. She told her parents the truth - the real father of the child was a young man who worked in the fishmarket.

The mother and father of the girl at once went to Hakuin to ask forgiveness, to apologize at length, and to get the child back.

Hakuin was willing. In yielding the child, all he said was: \"Is that so?\"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 weeks ago #12892 by
I find that there is some form of beauty from being purely passive.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 weeks ago #12928 by

Emperor Bu of Ryô asked Great Master Bodhidharma, \"What is the highest meaning of the holy reality?\" Bodhidharma replied, \"Vast and void, no holiness.\" The emperor said, \"Who are you in front of me?\" Bodhidharma said, \"I don't know.\" The emperor did not match him.
Finally, Bodhidharma crossed the Yangtze River and came to the Shôrin Temple. There he
sat for nine years, facing the wall.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 weeks ago #12929 by
You know I just had an experience that almost qualifies as a koan. I'm just going to relay it to you all and offer no thoughts on it. Here goes........

A women walks in to the gas station where her broken down car has just been towed. Walking over to the mechanic she introduces herself as the owner of the car. She asks, \"Can it be fixed?\" To this the mechanic, a very honest man by all accounts (He happens to be my mechanic for years) Tells her \"The engine is seized, I recommend just letting it go and getting a new car. To fix it you'd need a complete overhaul.\" To this she responds \"But can it be fixed?\" he again tells her the engine is broken down and it needs a complete overhaul, a very expensive job for such an old car. So she says\" I'll just take it to someone that can fix it\".

~Merin~

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 weeks ago #12954 by
When mechanics talk numbers about a repair, I usually have to consider alternatives. I am a loyal servant of the Force and trust that it works for our best interest even if we don't realize it. Twice we needed a new-to-us vehicle, because of our vehicles seemingly decided to self terminate. And Twice the Force has granted us reprieve or showed us a way to better our situation. The Force is always on the job, but this was just something I wanted to share. It might not have anything to with Koans, but I just wanted to put that out there. MTFBWUA.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 2 weeks ago #13104 by
\"Ryokan, a Zen master, lived the simplest kind of life in a little hut at the foot of a mountain. One evening a thief visited the hut only to discover there was nothing to steal.

Ryokan returned and caught him. \"You have come a long way to visit me,\" he told the prowler, \"and you should not return empty-handed. Please take my clothes as a gift.\"

The thief was bewildered. He took the clothes and slunk away.

Ryoken sat naked, watching the moon. \"Poor fellow,\" he mused, \"I wish I could have given him this beautiful moon.\"

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 2 weeks ago #13105 by
He is completely unmaterialistic, truely at peace and calm.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 week ago #13167 by
When one goes to Obaku temple in Kyoto he sees carved over the gate the words \"The First Principle\". The letters are unusually large, and those who appreciate calligraphy always admire them as being a mastepiece. They were drawn by Kosen two hundred years ago.

When the master drew them he did so on paper, from which the workmen made the large carving in wood. As Kosen sketched the letters a bold pupil was with him who had made several gallons of ink for the calligraphy and who never failed to criticise his master's work.

\"That is not good,\" he told Kosen after his first effort.

\"How is this one?\"

\"Poor. Worse than before,\" pronounced the pupil.

Kosen patiently wrote one sheet after another until eighty-four First Principles had accumulated, still without the approval of the pupil.

Then when the young man stepped outside for a few moments, Kosen thought: \"Now this is my chance to escape his keen eye,\" and he wrote hurriedly, with a mind free from distraction: \"The First Principle.\"

\"A masterpiece,\" pronounced the pupil.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 week ago #13273 by
Ananda was the Buddha's personal attendent for the last 20 plus years of the Buddha's life. Besides attending to the Buddha's personal needs, his other duties included representing Buddha on occasions, memorizing the Buddha's speeches, repeating the Buddha's speeches in his absence, and being messager for the Buddha. So, he really had a very busy job!

He was so busy that he didn't even have time for his own practice. So by the time the Buddha died, Ananda had still not attained Enlightenment. When the Buddha was dying, Ananda cried. In contrast, enlightened monks accepted it with calmness.

Anyway, only after the Buddha died did Ananda find time for his own practice. At that time, the Arahat Maha Kassapa, another one of Buddha's main disciples, was organizing the First Buddhist Council, a gathering of all Buddhist monks to organize and consolidate all of Buddha's teachings. Ananda was determined that he wanted to be Enlightened by the time of the Council. So everyday, he meditated very hard.

As the day of the Council was drawing closer and closer, Ananda still seem nowhere near Enlightenment.

The night before the Council, Ananda tried very very hard. But still, he was getting nowhere. It was getting late. Finally, he decided, \"Maybe I'll relax and work for Enlightenment after the Council. There is no need to hurry now\". Thinking so, he laid down to rest.

It was said that the moment his head touched the pillow, he attained Enlightenment.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 week ago #13316 by
The master of Kennin temple was Mokurai, Silent Thunder. He had a little protege named Toyo who was only twelve years old. Toyo saw the older disciples visit the master's room each morning and evening to receive instruction in sanzen or personal guidance in which they were given koans to stop mind-wandering.

Toyo wished to do sanzen also.

\"Wait a while,\" said Mokurai. \"You are too young.\"

But the child insisted, so the teacher finally consented.

In the evening little Toyo went at the proper time to the threshold of Mokurai's sanzen room. He struck the gong to announce his presence, bowed respectfully three times outside the door, and went to sit before the master in respectful silence.

\"You can hear the sound of two hands when they clap together,\" said Mokurai. \"Now show me the sound of one hand.\"

Toyo bowed and went to his room to consider this problem. From his window he could hear the music of the geishas. \"Ah, I have it!\" he proclaimed.

The next evening, when his teacher asked him to illustrate the sound of one hand, Toyo began to play the music of the geishas.

\"No, no,\" said Mokurai. \"That will never do. That is not the sound of one hand. You've not got it at all.\"

Thinking that such music might interrupt, Toyo moved his abode to a quiet place. He meditated again. \"What can the sound of one hand be?\" He happened to hear some water dripping. \"I have it,\" imagined Toyo.

When he next appeared before his teacher, Toyo imitated dripping water.

\"What is that?\" asked Mokurai. \"That is the sound of dripping water, but not the sound of one hand. Try again.\"

In vain Toyo meditated to hear the sound of one hand. He heard the sighing of the wind. But the sound was rejected.

He heard the cry of an owl. This also was refused.

The sound of one hand was not the locusts.

For more than ten times Toyo visited Mokurai with different sounds. All were wrong. For almost a year he pondered what the sound of one hand might be.

At last little Toyo entered true meditation and transcended all sounds. \"I could collect no more,\" he explained later, \"so I reached the soundless sound.\"

Toyo had realized the sound of one hand.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi