My teacher on Meditation

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #119687 by steamboat28
This video is just what I needed, actually. It's a lovely reminder. Thanks!
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by steamboat28.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #119701 by
Replied by on topic My teacher on Meditation

Raikoutenshi wrote:
In my experience, the best journeys start when you cannot see the destination. If I always knew where my experience would leave me when I started something I most likely would never start in the first place. I agree that some basic knowledge is necessary before starting anything but that doesn't mean you must know all of the options right when you begin. To truly appreciate success, one must truly appreciate failure. To truly appreciate knowledge, one must truly appreciate ignorance. You cannot expect to know all when you first begin. It is silly and won't do you any good. You must learn enough to get you started and then continue learning as your motivations mature.

May the Force be with you,
Rai

I guess it depends. If you aren't seriously considering dedicating your life to a practice then it doesn't really matter if you are just window shopping.

I'd think before a student gets serious however they'd do some research on the topic.

For instance before I make any major decision or purchase in life I have to research it thoroughly to feel confident I made the best choice I could.

Thinking before you act is good advice too, especially if it's an important decision.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #119703 by

Jestor wrote:
As far as my story about my mom? Its a simile for meditation...

I get the analogy. But it's also not bad advice to really sit yourself down and ask yourself what your goals for practice are, and research all the various forms of meditation, and what masters of each school have accomplished, and think things through clearly to make sure that is what we ourselves are really seeking.

Doing your due diligence prevents a lot of regrets later on.

Frequently I speak to people who have been doing Vipassana meditation for 10 or more years, and when introduced to other methods that fit their goals better they get really upset they've devoted so much time to a practice that didn't take them where they wanted to be.

Had they done some research before hand into what results these masters obtain via their practices and they would have made better choices and wouldn't regret time they could have better spent in systems that could have served them better.

Again this isn't saying one school of meditation is better than another, just that they all do different things and lead to different places.

Before you seriously dedicate your life to a practice you should know all your options, and you should be able to clearly define your own goals, and know if your path is going to take you to where you want to be or not.

There is no sense in dedicating your life to something if you have no idea what you are going to get back out of it.

That's my $0.02.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #119704 by

Jestor wrote: All you are doing, is confusing them...

Really I think you are exaggerating here.

I speak the truth when I say, not all meditations do the same thing, nor lead to the same place, nor share the same methods, and there are thousands of them.

That's reality.

I am not passing judgement saying one is better than the other.

They all serve different purposes, and some will serve certain goals better than others.

The first step on the journey isn't just throwing a dart and picking up the first meditation practice it lands on, it should be sitting yourself down and really thinking about things.

Why do I want to meditate in the first place?

What do I hope to accomplish?

Being really honest with yourself about this.

Then looking into all the various options, and seeing what each one can offer them.

This is really just common sense.

That's the first step.

Imagine someone came to you and said: "What is religion and what can it do for me?"

And you were afraid to tell them about anything other than Christianity because it might confuse them.

Give people a little more credit, even a person with an 85 IQ could comprehend the basic tenets of all the worlds major religions if explained simply enough, and they could still reflect on those and make their own choice as to which if any would best benefit them.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #119705 by
You ignoring me, Maynoth?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #119706 by

Jestor wrote: They have to understand the steps to get there, and honestly, as an instructor, you fall short there... You send videos, and links, but dont help those asking...

I am student not a teacher. Don't be so certain about not helping those that ask.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #119707 by

Jestor wrote: Im usually a nice, tolerant guy, but I am not going to debate your practices here, and further posts that do, will be removed...

I haven't mentioned my school, nor teachers. I also haven't said any practice is better than any other.

Nor is it my intention to ever bring up my school or my teachers here.

I just felt compelled to clear up some misconceptions on meditation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 6 months ago #119708 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic My teacher on Meditation
Perhaps...

Perhaps not.....

Yes, you are correct that if we were teaching people to.meditate, that was our goal, then we would have other styles to offer...

Have you forgotten, that multiple people here agree with your statement that notcall meditation is the same?

Then let me reiterate...

We realize not all meditation is the same....

I am really at my wits end with you...

You seem to think we are not listening, and we cannot have a conversation about meditation without you chiming in....

When I block you, please know that it is not because I have lost my temper, or any such thing...

You are not offering anything constructive... And yes, you are confusing people...

People like myself, who when I was learning, and trying to figure it out, would have been confused by your vague words and repetitious posts...

You are polite, but, for the good of TOTJO, and its members, I just have this feeling you need to go...

Sorry...:(

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #119709 by

Jestor wrote: and cause people to question, what they want, and whether this is the right path for them, and they should question,

Good. I sincerely hope that they do. That is what we all need to be doing. To really think about things.

Why do I do the things I do?

What is it I want out of life?

What do I hope to accomplish with my time here on earth?

What's my purpose?

These are things I think all people should reflect upon, every day.

Just my $0.02

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 6 months ago #119710 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic My teacher on Meditation
What is the title of this thread?

"My teacher on Meditation"

Which means as he sees it..

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi