Proper way to address those senior to you?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 days ago #99299 by
Please try to relax and not worry so much about how to address people. As Jedi, we strive for humbleness, and I can tell you from personal experience that even the Jedi Masters and Councilors and Knights and leaders here just want to be called by their names. Of course, it never hurts to attach their rank to the beginning of their name.

For example, "Master Jestor", or "Jedi Knight Wescli", or (for me) "Apprentice SeanChing" :) I feel that actually helps people make the Jedi lifestyle more authentic feeling - at least by a little.

I can personally relate to you, Malia. When I first joined TOTJO nearly a year ago, I took things way too seriously. I might have turned people off by being too formal. Over time, I learned to relax a bit and speak the way I would always speak.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 days ago #99319 by
While it is known that V-Tog prefers that people refer to her as 'Her Royal Hotness', besides that no one else minds much :woohoo: :laugh: :P

I'm good with just Akkarin and I generally refer to everyone else by either their real name or username :)

Desolous calls me Master A (he's my Apprentice) and I like to think the 'A' stands for 'Ace' :whistle: :P

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 days ago #99322 by
Earlier a member said "Good morning Master Jestor" to which I then replied "Good morning master ****" they were not a master by rank, in fact we share the same rank but I still called him a master. We are all equal here at TOTJO rank just denotes commitment to TOTJO, master is often referred to as a way for an apprentice to denote their "master" but be wary of anyone who expects or demands to be called by their name. The only time I would say rank/addressing seniorship would be in times of public events for instance when two members went leafleting, the senior would have been in charge due to having more people experience than the lesser (Although just because they are senior does not denote they are any better at the job it just means they have more swing to their axe than the other)

So in summary, just call them by their name. :P

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 days ago #99325 by
Sometimes in official engagements we use titles. Other than that though no one is too fussed :)

More
11 years 6 days ago #99330 by MCSH
When I joined first, I used to call those who had higher ranks than me master, it was how Jedi did in sw... well, once V-Tog replied "I'm master to no one except SeanChing" and I never called knights master again!

Since then, I call masters master + Wescli Wardest (I'm his apprentice). To be honest, I like adding titles to others name. Not because it's formal, because it shows them that I respect them. After all, I'm younger that almost every active member here.

Master: Wescli Wardest
Clerical Mentor : Master Jestor

Clerical Rank: Licensed Minister
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Brenna

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 days ago - 11 years 6 days ago #99331 by
I like to refer to members with title with their title both out of respect for all they've done here, and, as SeanChing said, because it makes the Jedi lifestyle feel more authentic (because I'm a huge nerd and that's important to me). But yeah, we're normally pretty informal. :) I guess I could be called "His Redundancy", since everyone else always beats me to the point I was going to make. :P :laugh:
Last edit: 11 years 6 days ago by . Reason: Grammar.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 days ago #99419 by
Thank you all for your help. Guess I'm over thinking this a bit, huh? :) That's alright. Live and learn.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago #105161 by
Is no one going to point out that what Jestor Really meant to say was he who must not be named? Not Lord *********!

More
10 years 10 months ago #105167 by MCSH
Master you know who... sounds interesting :D

Master: Wescli Wardest
Clerical Mentor : Master Jestor

Clerical Rank: Licensed Minister

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago #105168 by
How would you explain those who are senior? Are we merely discussing titles of totjo? Per the internet I rarely acknowledge anyones online titles are ranks and speak with the sites night and masters as I do to the newbes within the community.

To be honest my thoughts against the internet ranking system are very well known and have been for years.

"Give a basic level of respect to everyone, up that respect to those who earn it and drop it to those who do things that make you readjust your mind to them and lose respect for."

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi