Suggestion - Birthday Notification on the TOTJO Website?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #91536 by
It would be great if the TOTJO website could notify us all of our members' birthdays the week of their birthday, or perhaps on the day itself. This, of course, would only be for people who put down their birthdate on their profile. (So no Jedi Mind-Reading Website, I'm afraid :P )

I got this idea from Facebook. That website always sends me notifications of peoples' birthdays. Just today, I was notified of Master Daniel L. and Apprentice Adam Harding's birthdays coming up this week, and I would never have known otherwise.

However, I'm not really that big of a fan of Facebook, and I'd much rather celebrate birthday wishes and congratulations here on the TOTJO website.

It just seems like a waste, to me, that many of us have birth dates listed on our profiles - but, we are so busy and there are so many of us that we don't keep track of birthdays to celebrate and we often don't mention a simple Happy Birthday to members here.

Even having an auto-post when someone's birthday comes up would be great, so long as people can comment on that post (for congratulations, etc.)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 2 months ago #91540 by RyuJin
For me birthdays have become just another day of the week...like Christmas or new years....

Plus I'm old enough to remember what I was doing in high school when the majority of our members were born... :dry: ....despite my relatively youthful appearance (nature's been very kind to me)...now I feel old :unsure:

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #91542 by
To be honest, my birthday is coming up and i really dislike it when people go out of their way to wish me a happy birthday or the like. Simply a birthday is a day to reflect on the life and decisions you have made, to be thankful for the love of your guardians growing up, to reconnect with our world, and to look ahead to our future.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #91544 by
So if there are any members like me, it might get on their nerves just a little.

But it would be nice if the website would inform us of other members birthdays, maybe even give us the choice of whether we want others to be alerted about our birthdays or not.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 2 months ago #91545 by RyuJin
I'm not opposed to it....I simply tend to forget birthdays...even my own....they've been forgettable for years...age is nothing more than a number used to discriminate, separate or mark experience....

Again I don't oppose the idea of reminders....I suppose if an individual is close enough to warrant it...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
11 years 2 months ago #91571 by Lycaenion
We use to have that but that was along while ago...like a year and a half ago.Ask Ren about it

MTFBWY
IDIC

"I'm not testing you, Obi-Wan. Life tests you! Every day, it brings you new chances for triumph or defeat. And if you pass the test, it doesn't make you a Jedi. It makes you human"
Qui Gon

"And over our heads will float the blue bird singing of beautiful and impossible things, of things that are lovely and that never happen, of things that are not and that should be."
- Oscar Wilde,When the Blue Bird Sings

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #91573 by
A simple checkbox on your profile: "Announce your birthday?" (another boolean column in the database).

When your younger, you love the adulation and recognition. When you're older (like me), you want the day to fade into oblivion. So, as long as we have the choice to decline on an individual bases, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #91576 by

Lycaenion wrote: We use to have that but that was along while ago...like a year and a half ago.Ask Ren about it

Yes we used to have this option but it was done via a separate piece of calendar software that had been installed on the site. You had to add yourself to it and it would list any birthdays that appeared

This was removed by ren in our new site because the old site had been modified with software installed like this to the point that it was literally breaking

As for birthdays? Well I couldn't care less about them either lol so I agree with Ryujin. I don't like the hassle and expectation that people put around them so never have my birthday advertised so pointedly to the public

More
11 years 2 months ago #91588 by Ben
Generally I think that if you have a close friend on the site with an impending birthday that they want you to know about, they will tell you...

If they don't mention it, they probably aren't that fussed about whether you observe it or not ;)

Or if you have particular people whose birthdays you wouldn't want to miss, you can just ask them when their birthdays are and put them in your diary/calendar... :)

B.Div | OCP

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
11 years 2 months ago #91600 by ren
The way I see it, we Jedi are happy other jedi exist (every day). No need for software to remind us of that... Otherwise, I think the profile software we'll be using next actually has birthday notifications for "friends". And fields like "birth date" have advanced privacy control (choose between everyone, users, friends and no-one)

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi