Query about Mandalorians

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #82026 by
Query about Mandalorians was created by
I'm new here so forgive me for asking questions that are answered elsewhere, I'm trying to read as much as possible about your religion.

I think I understand some of the 'cosmos' of your religion, the terms Jedi and Sith do refer to the Lucas mythology. Not everyone seems to be in agreement that Jediism is directly related to the Lucas mythology- so this is an open question, but I wonder if there are any of you who know of or have yourselves considered the place of Mandalorian beliefs and customs as described in the Star Wars canon?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #82030 by
Replied by on topic Re: Query about Mandalorians
In terms of "Star Wars Canon"...Mandalorians are not particularly noted for being Force Sensitive, and thus don't really bear on Jedi/Sith philosophy. Mandalorians are warriors and soldiers of great skill and infamy, however, and tend to "live for" war and carnage. The essence of the Mandalorian philosophy is "might makes right" at it's core, with a lot of extra "window dressing" to pretty it up a bit. I suppose their philosophies have "merit" from a more sith-like perspective, but nearly anything could be adapted to fit nearly any perspective. That said, if one were to attempt to adapt the Mandalorian philosophy to the Jedi perspective, one would end up with something which would look very much like ancient Bushido. And to that I say, "cut out the middleman" and just go straight to Bushido. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #82033 by
As I understand it, the Jediism is not a religion based on Star Wars in that mode. Yes, is based on the belief in the force, but we do not follow the teachings of Yoda for example. It is valid to use one phrase to analyze what is the religious sense that Lucas left behind it.

What would be the religious background of the Mandalorians that you are interested in?
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #82035 by

Genjen wrote: As I understand it, the Jediism is not a religion based on Star Wars in that mode. Yes, is based on the belief in the force, but we do not follow the teachings of Yoda for example.

I believe this to be true as well, Genjen.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #82036 by
i also agree with Alluvius follow Bushido you can adopt and change it to suit you or you can adhere to it but like all things its up to you the person.

More
11 years 4 months ago #82044 by Wescli Wardest
Bushido includes compassion for those of lower station, and for the preservation of one's name. Early bushido literature further enforces the requirement to conduct oneself with calmness, fairness, justice, and propriety. The relationship between learning and the way of the warrior is clearly articulated, one being a natural partner to the other.

Other parts of the bushido philosophy cover methods of raising children, appearance, and grooming, but all of this may be seen as part of one's constant preparation for death. To die a good death with one's honor intact, the ultimate aim in a life lived according to bushido. Indeed, a "good death" is its own reward, and by NO means assurance of "future rewards" in the afterlife. Notable samurai have throughout history held such aims or beliefs in disdain, or expressed the awareness that their station (as it involves killing) precludes such reward, especially in Buddhism. On the contrary, the soul of a noble warrior suffering in hell or as a lingering spirit is a common motif in Japanese art and literature. Bushido, while exhibiting the influence of Dao through Zen Buddhism, is a philosophy in contradistinction to religious belief, with a deep commitment to propriety in this world for propriety's sake

Monastic Order of Knights

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 4 months ago #82045 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Query about Mandalorians
Hello Iron Wings...

Many of us only know the bare-bones-basics of the Jedi/Sith ideologies...

The world is thought of as "black and white" and here at TOTJO, we do not all agree to that...

Most of dont agree with that...:lol:

If you are a follower of the Mandalorians, please, provide a thought or two on their ways...

If you are refering to being a warrior, then, we all are... Most often the enemy ies within...

I also follow a Bushido-type path... I highly recommend the book, "Bushido, the Souls of Japan"...

Which can be found in our library...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #82060 by
Thanks for your responses.

Well, you have quite a few questions back at me! :) Since I am new here I may as well use it as an introduction. I am a Religious Science university researcher and I'm currently looking into new religions. Jediism is not surprisingly one of the more fascinating religions because of -what seems to be- the inspiration lying in science fiction films and media.

I warn you that this is fairly heavy reading, but you all seem to be open to discussing your religion and spirituality in general, so here goes...
My line of enquiry in regard to the Mandalorians comes from what I have found in the cannon that:

"Warmaster, we think too often in terms of dualism: Jedi or Sith, light or dark, right or wrong. But there are three sides to this blade, not two, opposed and similar at the same time. The third edge is the Mandalorian. All three sides care nothing for caste or species, only adherence to a code that unites. The Mandalorians remain the most formidable enemy of the Jedi: but the Sith are not always their allies. The Mandalorians even worshiped war itself, then simply turned their backs on their god. You might begin to understand them one day."
―Vergere, explaining galactic politics to the Yuuzhan Vong

It's interesting that you all seem to have fired off the concept of Bushido in relation to the Mandalorian philosophy, I think we are all aware of Budo being a source of ideas for Lucas- most clearly seen in the Jedi and Sith. Seeing the Mandalorians as significantly more identifiable with Bushido than the Jedi is interesting, but perhaps I have misunderstood the consensus if there is one.

The Mandalorians are interesting in the context of your religion to me; in that their mythos has been given much greater depth and content only in the last decade thanks to the writer Karen Traviss. She has given specific lore, codes, religious songs and proverbs, even a sacred language. This material is far more concrete than the inspirational source material for the Jedi and Sith philosophies seen on this site and others such as the Jedi Church. It makes me wonder then where the Mandalorian path would fit into a religious community which base their own faiths on the loose applications of the Star Wars mythology.

I come from a military family and I have practiced Japanese martial arts for many years, I hadn't thought this was really relevant to this situation or the material. Which might seem a bit dumb of me! -but with religion being an academic subject for me, my daily bread and requiring a scientific distance it isn't strange. Only occasionally am I required, or find myself inclined to 'chime' with some of the content I work with. We are usually attracted to things that interest us for a reason, so yes- I think I may well have a personal agenda in treading ground with the Mandalorian path. Personally, it reminds me more of the Space Wolves in the Warhammer 40,000 universe rather than Bushido per se, so I suppose that would place the real world origins with the Norse or Graeco-Romans in my understanding.

Thanks for picking up the discussion and giving me your time, I'm enjoying being here- it's very interesting stuff you are all involved in.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 4 months ago #82061 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Query about Mandalorians
I play Eldar...

We will align with any, save Chaos...

Our goal is not that of our species, as much as it is of all species from chaos...

;)

I too am a Martial artist, many of us here are...

TOTJO Jedi, tend to see there is no black and white.... But varying shades of grey...

No one is pure evil, nor completely good...

Hitler loved puppies.... The Pope doesnt... (I dont really know, just trying to show no black and white, lol)

I would fight to protect another, I prolly wouldnt fight to save myself... idk, I have not had to...

Mostly, it is about self control, being accountable to yourself...

There are so many things to say... lolol...

We are all warriors I think...

We just have different things we fight for...

Some power, some money, some love...

What do Mandalorians fight for? (or Space Wolves for that matter... lol, besides the Emperor...:laugh: )

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #82064 by
Cool, nice to hear. I always wanted to play as the Imperial Navy personally but they never got any love :(

The history is pretty well-thunked out by Traviss, since their beliefs and customs evolve over time. They begin as worshippers of a war-god who is contrasted to a god of sloth. Through war, and the adherence to specific warrior codes they were conducting 'Right Living'. Akaanati'kar'oya—or the The War of Life and Death sums up this phase of their religion.

Over time, their culture drops bitheism for a more philosophical semi-atheistic life-view that you could equate with modern secular thinking. Yet their core culture remains, and gives them continuous identity throughout the entire mythology/history of Star Wars. One 'Old Faith' element remains however; they believe in an Oversoul or collective afterlife called Manda.

"Mando'ade usually bury in mass graves anyway. We all become part of the manda. We don't need a headstone."
"Manda."
"Collective consciousness. Oversoul. We don't do heaven."
―Mirta Gev and Boba Fett

Similar to orthodox Judaism or Sikhism, the importance of ritual and core customs gives identity and personal meaning and that takes precedence or rather defines the spiritual aspects of the religion. By following the Resol'nare, or Six Actions and by adhering to the ancient Canons of Honor which were reconstituted under the Supercommando Codex which formed the basis for the Republic Commando ethos under Fett, a very spiritual Mandalorian and in time their political leader.

The Mandalorians are not a race, although originally on Coruscant they were. Any species can be adopted into the Mando'ade and are recognised as Mandalorian if they follow the Six Actions.

Looks like I may have to be setting up a Mandalorian Religious College here soon... :unsure:
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi