Sermons and Who May Have Their's Posted.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #80147 by
To be succinct, I believe I may have at least one idea for a sermon. However, I'm not sure who is allowed to write sermons that are published on TOTJO. Also, I'm not sure what sermons should all be about and the requirements for each sermon.

1) Who may type and have their sermons posted on TOTJO?
2) What are all sermons supposed to be about? Can they be about any moral or philosophical value? Or is there some type of topic requirement?
3) Are there any requirements for sermons?

Thank you!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
11 years 5 months ago #80149 by ren
1) Everyone, that's what the open sermon is for
2) Can be about anything. Clergy members are expected to post appropriate topics, open sermon have to be approved by V-Tog.
3) Not that I know of, though as I said, open sermons have to be approved.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , MCSH

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #80158 by
can one be created and just posted in a persons journal?

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 5 months ago #80159 by Jestor
When/if you go to the Seminary side, you have to write some practice ones and then they get critiqued...;)

But, I like to write about stuff I know, so generally, I talk about a lesson I learned while living my daily life... Maybe everyone already knows it, bit reminders are always good..;)

There is no word count minimum, but my thinking is always "too long= hard to read", and "too short=no effort on my part", so I try to find the balance... Some of mine are too long, and some of mine are too short.... lol...

As ren said, send it to V-Tog, and if there's some work still needed, she will let you know...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
11 years 5 months ago #80164 by Ben
I would explain it thus...

To be on the sermon schedule (click here ) you must be a member of clergy.

To be a member of clergy (and therefore be on the sermon schedule) you must complete the clerical training at the seminary - anyone interested in doing so should speak to me or GM Mark.

However, as you will see on the schedule, there are occasional open sermon slots - I have put one down for 3rd February.

Anyone can submit an open sermon, by emailing it to me at the specified email address or sending it to me via PM. I may have comments and feedback to offer about it because clergy have covered sermon-writing technique in their clerical training, whereas non-clergy are just 'guessing' at how to do it.

If more than one sermon is submitted for the open sermon slot, it will be done on a first come, first served basis, assuming that the sermons are satisfactory. Any extra sermons will be saved for future open sermon slots.

There is also the possibility that unforeseen opportunities to post open sermons may become available if someone on the schedule has to pull out of their slot or does not post a sermon.

All of that means...anyone wanting to submit a sermon for the open sermon slot shouldn't leave it till the day before the open sermon slot, as a) someone else may have taken the the slot, and b) earlier slots may become available.

As for topics and requirements...no, there are no rules abut that really. Have a look at past sermons and see what sort of things people have written about, or if you have an idea and you're not sure whether it would be okay, drop me a PM to ask whether it sounds like a good basis for a sermon.

B.Div | OCP
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #80182 by

Desolous wrote: can one be created and just posted in a persons journal?

Yes, that has always been an option. However, I was just curious about how the public sermons work here at TOTJO.

Thank you to ren, Master Jestor and Master V-Tog for your helpful information. I'll definitely think it over.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #80196 by

V-Tog wrote: clergy have covered sermon-writing technique in their clerical training, whereas non-clergy are just 'guessing' at how to do it.

Right... just the non-clergy guessing... :D :whistle:

I just write whatever really

On a related note...

Articles can also be posted and submitted such as this one: http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/home/news/1987-statue-made-from-a-meteorite

This used to happen a lot more but has died down over time (partly because of reduced ability to post one by most members)

People are free to submit their own articles to be posted up as well (send them to someone so they can be checked etc)

It is sometimes better however to make a new topic about it as this is likely to increase discussion

So on a related note... post more interesting articles up to be talked about! lol

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi