What's the deal with the title of "Darth"?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #76445 by

Williamkaede wrote: It doesn't necessarily have to be earned, but if he can't live up to it, his failures will be far more obvious.

Sure, anyone can go ahead and say "I am Darth....." but if you have any respect for the title, you will earn it before calling yourself as much. I do agree that you are correct in your assessment of the situation though.

DaathMenace wrote: I am under no obligation whatsoever to justify my title to any, least of all yourself.

You are correct, you are under no obligation to justify yourself, but you can't blame one for asking.

I was only curious because I was once approached by a young man, angry, lost, and confused. This young man came to me seeking to learn the ways of the Sith and the dark side. After some consideration I agreed to take him on as an apprentice and he was dubbed...you guessed it, Darth Menace. I suppose it wouldn't be too great a coincidence for there to be more than one who calls themselves that, but I read some of the things you wrote here, they reflected the very teachings I gave this apprentice, and I was sure you may have been him and found your way here. If you are him than you should already know who I am.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #76449 by
this reminds me of that futurama episode where the planet express crew is live action role playing a civil war between earth and the sith. the sith vessel lands and they disembark and they are introducing themselves before battle and it was 'darth sploder, darth urderer and darth ithead'.

i laughed my butt off.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 5 months ago #76465 by RyuJin
In the end a title is just a word...only worth as much respect as is earned by the one bearing it...just because one carries a title does not mean they are entitled to respect (in most cases though they earn the respect)...I've seen sensei's that demanded respect from their students while doing nothing to show they deserved such respect....

Having said that Ican say that everyone at totjo that bears a title has in fact earned the respect they receive...or at least have earned my respect....Ihave not and will not respect anyone that comes and demands it just because they feel they deserve it....if you want respect you must prove to be worthy of it...and the best way to get respect is to give respect

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #76469 by
I thought titles meant everything :unsure:

http://www.neatorama.com/2011/01/27/cat-earns-multiple-advanced-degrees/

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 5 months ago #76473 by RyuJin
:laugh: I always wondered what dr. Katz looked like

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #76490 by

RyuJin wrote: In the end a title is just a word...only worth as much respect as is earned by the one bearing it...just because one carries a title does not mean they are entitled to respect (in most cases though they earn the respect)...I've seen sensei's that demanded respect from their students while doing nothing to show they deserved such respect....

I feel you on it just being a title, but.....

RyuJin wrote: Having said that Ican say that everyone at totjo that bears a title has in fact earned the respect they receive...or at least have earned my respect....I have not and will not respect anyone that comes and demands it just because they feel they deserve it....if you want respect you must prove to be worthy of it...and the best way to get respect is to give respect

You hit the nail right on the head here.

The people here bearing a title earned it as recognized by their peers and that means something. I think it also means something that you (TOTJO) have specifically discouraged "Darth" titles and any other titles since you do have a real system here and the people earn their titles. I guess to me what I have seen thus far is a bit of a great disrespect to all of you. I know I'm new here and you all know me about as well as a martian, but it doesn't take a long standing relationship to have respect for something. Being someone who once earned their title as well I certainly don't respect someone just announcing that they get to take up the mantle that I and many others worked for either.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #76493 by

Fire and Ice wrote: Being someone who once earned their title as well I certainly don't respect someone just announcing that they get to take up the mantle that I and many others worked for either.

Fire and Ice wrote: he was dubbed...you guessed it, Darth Menace.

"Fire and Ice" is truly a fitting name for one who consistently contradicts themselves.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #76588 by
SUPREME DIGGITY.

Some of the Darth names over at the other Orders have the same sort of quality.

I won't use Darth until I'm a Sith Lord or Knight. I'm not even sure the Sith Orders should really use the Knight titles... the Sith Knights were an obscure organisation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #76590 by Wescli Wardest
Williamkaede

SUPREME DIGGITY.

How awesome is that!?!?!?!
I just found my new "word/saying" for the day! ;)

hahahhahahaha :D

Monastic Order of Knights

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #76595 by
It's from an episode of Futurama. The information can be found in the link below.

http://theinfosphere.org/Sithal_War

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi