Question about editing posts

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 10 months ago #61032 by
I apologize if this was covered somewhere on the website and I missed it, but I was wondering why it is only possible to edit posts either a certain number of times, or only for a certain amount of time after the post was made? I was hoping to update the first entry of my journal as I continue my path through Jediism with new thoughts and insights about the things that I believe, but, the "edit" option is no longer enabled.

Thanks and sorry if this question has caused any inconvenience,

Archaic Smile

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
11 years 10 months ago #61035 by ren
You should ask Jestor to edit it for you if the edit button has disappeared.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 10 months ago #61037 by
Replied by on topic Re: Question about editing posts
Thank you. When I have accumulated a sufficient number of edits I wish to make, I will do this. Don't want to bother anyone over minor details I wanted to add / excise. (:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 10 months ago #61039 by

Archaic Smile wrote: I apologize if this was covered somewhere on the website and I missed it, but I was wondering why it is only possible to edit posts either a certain number of times, or only for a certain amount of time after the post was made? I was hoping to update the first entry of my journal as I continue my path through Jediism with new thoughts and insights about the things that I believe, but, the "edit" option is no longer enabled.

Archaic Smile

Posts can be edited up to an hour after they have been made

There are only really a few reasons why you might want to edit your posts

They might be grammatical and spelling changes in which case re-reading through your post after it has been posted and you have 1 hour to make the change (there is also a preview button along the buttons at the top)

If there are major changes such as new insights and knowledge then it is more appropriate to make a new post than to edit an older one

For one thing people are notified when a change is made (appears at the top of latest posts and is flagged as unread on the forum)

Another reason is that your journal is a record of your own personal development over time. Therefore all of your revelations are easily recorded chronologically and we can see your development

There are a few more reasons, but those are the main points that are of most relevance

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 10 months ago #61040 by

Akkarin wrote:

Archaic Smile wrote: I apologize if this was covered somewhere on the website and I missed it, but I was wondering why it is only possible to edit posts either a certain number of times, or only for a certain amount of time after the post was made? I was hoping to update the first entry of my journal as I continue my path through Jediism with new thoughts and insights about the things that I believe, but, the "edit" option is no longer enabled.

Archaic Smile

Posts can be edited up to an hour after they have been made

There are only really a few reasons why you might want to edit your posts

They might be grammatical and spelling changes in which case re-reading through your post after it has been posted and you have 1 hour to make the change (there is also a preview button along the buttons at the top)

If there are major changes such as new insights and knowledge then it is more appropriate to make a new post than to edit an older one

For one thing people are notified when a change is made (appears at the top of latest posts and is flagged as unread on the forum)

Another reason is that your journal is a record of your own personal development over time. Therefore all of your revelations are easily recorded chronologically and we can see your development

There are a few more reasons, but those are the main points that are of most relevance

Thank you for the rationale behind this rule. I had intended, as stated in the text of my journal entry, to show where changes had been made by using different colors and fonts noting the day the change was added, so that changes could be tracked. But this was just a formatting preference I had, it's not a big deal. (:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi