A question about oaths and privacy

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 1 month ago #28808 by
Hello all -

I'm writing today as someone who's just reviewed the site and sent in an application to be considered for membership (though this \"considered for membership\" statement may not be the intent of the app, if taken poorly I apologize).

I'm writing to say hello and to ask for some information in regards to the vowing process.

Background: Google exists. Some of us may be prominent in what we do. Intolerance exists. Regardless of the intent of people involved in the intolerance process or how it manifests, there's likely some backwards stigma that can affect those who are prominent and take an oath to become a Jedi, simply because closed minds don't get it and see images of lightsaber duels and all night camping to get feature tickets when they see this site without context.

Question: As someone who is putting a lot of time into education and a lot of time into advancing oneself across a bunch of different silos, is it possible to take an oath privately such that whenever someone decides to search for me via the Internet, this doesn't show up?

The necessary apologetic statement: I have no intent to offend anyone who has made a public statement. In fact I applaud you for your stand. I'm not in a position to do the same and there's some real concern that my career paths will be adversely affected until I'm well enough along that I'm independent of someone else's financial good graces. That's my personal weakness and I accept it.

I'm really hoping that this isn't the first time someone has asked this and there's a functional answer that doesn't exclude people.

Thanks,
Tatsujin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #28809 by Br. John
That's why we have the Hide function available so one may hide part of or all of a post from search engines and non logged in visitors.

We can also arrange a private oath and unpublished ranks if there are genuine concerns.

Founder of The Order
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by Br. John.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 1 month ago #28810 by
Thank you sir. I appreciate the response.

As there are a few possible definitions of the descriptor \"genuine\" and I want to make sure I understand your needs, may I send you a PM to discuss the particulars?

Best,
Tatsujin

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 1 month ago #28812 by
Odd. I've not the foggiest why the underscores showed up in the term \"descriptor\". Noted for future.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 1 month ago #28816 by
I find it interesting that you mentioned this, as I have had concerns about it as well. I do have another question about this subject, however. Are we able to just use our Jedi names and not include our date of birth (or maybe just include our year of birth)? If we did, would we have to add something to distinguish it from those who use their real names?

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 1 month ago #28818 by RyuJin
the underscores occur randomly in all posts....i forget why master kana said it happens...

i can understand why some would want to not reveal their oathes just yet as there is plenty of intolerance in the world as well as plenty of people willing to commit identity theft....i have a very common name, coupled with no concern about what others think of me. as such i had no problem with the oath...if people can't accept me as i am then i don't need them around me :)

i know alot of people are in positions (either business or personal) where they have to be cautious about the info they divulge of themselves....i'm fortunate in a manner in that i am not in that sort of position, nor do i foresee that possibility in my future...

i'll most likely be one of those crazy old hermit sages that everyone knows and avoids :laugh:

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #28831 by Jon
Whether private or not we do need your real name and date of birth as with any legal organisation. We cannot come up with Obi Wan kenobi born on the 50th January 3010, for official records. What Br. John mentioned is an exception and not a rule. If the case is accepted (by the Council) then the Oath should be sent per PM for records. TOTJO also has to protect itself against the dangers of internet (spamers, criminal missuse, pedophiles etc.) and especiall if we let members loose as ministers. Or would you like to be wed by someone who nobody knows anything about? Trust is as important for this issue as it is for the Jedi.

And if that is still a problem no one is stopping anyone here to take their own private oath, enjoying the benefits of our introductorary training, and interacting on our forums.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by Jon.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 1 month ago #28834 by
Thank you for your feedback Jon -

Your challenges as an Internet-based clergy/religion are noted and appreciated. Your statement regarding private oaths and taking the introductory training is understood.

I think what needs to be said and said respectfully, is that your concerns cut both ways. From an outsider's perspective there's no guarantee that once signed up we're not associating with people that you're trying to avoid.

Personally, I'm attracted to studying the concept of a living force. I'm not interested in being socially/professionally outcast by the opportunity. Your site offers a different approach to tenets of Buddhism, Paganism, and the exotic aspects of Judeo-Christian religions that I'm interested in for scholarly reasons. I think I'll always be an Agnostic, but your movement intrigues me.

My application is in sans phone information. I'll reach out via PM with my case.

Best,
Tatsujin.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 1 month ago #28835 by
OK - when I 'took the oath' I had the same (and still do) concerns about 'privacy' in terms of google etc and my name.

Therefore (and Im 99% sure we can still do this) that I tool the oath in the forum as per usual and only gave the first letter of my surname - but gave the full name etc to the senior council (as was at the time)

A problem is only such if you let it be ;)

MTFBWY - A

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
14 years 1 month ago #28837 by Jon
Just to add Grand Master Kana, members have also the opportunity and obligation if rank or ministry is required, to fill out the application (which remains a private document). Thing is if we cannot follow who we are dealing with there is no rank and no ordination or licencing.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi