The Knights Code

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #285642 by
Replied by on topic The Knights Code
I'm really enjoying this conversation and everyone is giving me a lot to think about. You're stretching my perception of the Code, Alex, and now I'm looking at it a totally different way. Thank you everyone!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #285650 by Tarran
Replied by Tarran on topic The Knights Code

Alexandre Orion wrote: Why would anyone want to memorise the Doctrine ?

Contrary to popular belief, memorisation is not the most efficient way of learning something. Refer to it often enough and it gets familiar as to be able to guide us without us having to quote it word-for-word or know which of the sixteen teachings is what number...

As it were, memorising it would not ingrain it in our subconscious as to its intent ; indeed, one is risking that it should become idle mind-chatter.

Take the "Lord's Prayer", for instance. I uttered that quite often enough to be able to recite it whilst actually thinking about something entirely unrelated. And honestly, it was only in the past few years that I really had an understanding of what those words were alluding to -- beyond 'popular belief' (again).

It would be much better to have it written down in a small book for convenient consultation (Ruggad was making those for a while). But I would actually counsel not memorising it in order to keep it useful. :)

Oh, I totally agree. And I rather like the idea of jotting it all down into a book for study... heck, even that action itself can have a sort of feeling as like a scholarly task, the deed itself being an active part of study and contemplation... hmmm... now ya got me thinking lol

Apprentice to J. K. Barger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

More
6 years 10 months ago #285651 by Tarran
Replied by Tarran on topic The Knights Code

Zenchi wrote: I get where your going with this, I do. However I am unsure if alcohol or the vessels one places it in is a worthy metaphor for the Knight's code in addition to the Doctrine. Surely we can do better, even if it doesn't hold the same significance to you as it does for others...

??

*Water*, then... 9_9

Anyways, again, whether on the same page with/among the Doctrine, or elsewhere on its own - someplace easily seen without having to stalk and hunt it down, would be nice - that's pretty much all I'd hope for. The former just seems to me to be more logical, practical, etc., but the latter is certainly no bad thing :)

Apprentice to J. K. Barger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi