Profiles - Gender

More
7 years 7 months ago #260296 by Edan
Profiles - Gender was created by Edan
I went to update my own profile today and noticed that there are only two options for gender.
Given some of the discussions that have happened at totjo in the past, and the variety of people here, I wondered if perhaps we could be more inclusive and have some other options, even if it just 'other - please ask.'

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Kit

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #260297 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Profiles - Gender
Yeah, or maybe open it up to a write in so people can put whatever they want.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit, Edan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • ren
  • Offline
  • Member
  • Member
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
7 years 7 months ago #260298 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Profiles - Gender
My experience of such people at totjo is that they absolutely need to be one or the other -- can't remain as neither even if that's how they were born. there are 3 options though, the third one being non-disclosure.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Zenchi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #260299 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Profiles - Gender

ren wrote: My experience of such people at totjo is that they absolutely need to be one or the other -- can't remain as neither even if that's how they were born. there are 3 options though, the third one being non-disclosure.


In the spirit of not making assumptions about people, non disclosure isn't very helpful.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • ren
  • Offline
  • Member
  • Member
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
7 years 7 months ago #260300 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Profiles - Gender

Edan wrote:

ren wrote: My experience of such people at totjo is that they absolutely need to be one or the other -- can't remain as neither even if that's how they were born. there are 3 options though, the third one being non-disclosure.


In the spirit of not making assumptions about people, non disclosure isn't very helpful.

even if it just 'other - please ask.'


You sure change your mind quick don't you?! :D

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #260301 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Profiles - Gender

ren wrote:

Edan wrote:

ren wrote: My experience of such people at totjo is that they absolutely need to be one or the other -- can't remain as neither even if that's how they were born. there are 3 options though, the third one being non-disclosure.


In the spirit of not making assumptions about people, non disclosure isn't very helpful.

even if it just 'other - please ask.'


You sure change your mind quick don't you?! :D


I'm sorry? 'other' isn't non disclosure... It's a disclosure that it's not straight forward male or female.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #260302 by Amaya
Replied by Amaya on topic Profiles - Gender
You dont have to put anything. I have never filled in profile.
But I dont see a problem with non disclosure.
People will assume of names or profile pictures anyway. I dont see how it matters.
And as it stands they can change there profile should they wish to be know by another gender.

Does anyone even read the profile of others?
(just wondering because I never have)

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • ren
  • Offline
  • Member
  • Member
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
7 years 7 months ago #260303 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Profiles - Gender
The probability of me doing any work to differentiate between "I haven't selected anything as gender therefore you'll have to ask" and "I identify as something funky which isn't available therefore you'll have to ask" is a guaranteed zero.

Besides, I don't see why we'd ask people if they have gender dysphoria when we don't ask about other mental illnesses, especially as the vast majority of the membership is incapable of identifying or accommodating simple common personality quirks / mental illnesses.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #260304 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Profiles - Gender
I assume this is a relatively easy technical fix for the site admins?


I don't have a preference as to how it's laid out, but a lot of "official" forms use

M/F/X

If Non-selection is already an option, then I don't see the issue.

There's free text areas in your profile? I suppose you can add whatever commentary about yourself you like there.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Tarran

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #260305 by
Replied by on topic Profiles - Gender

elizabeth wrote: Does anyone even read the profile of others?
(just wondering because I never have)


I often do, especially when greeting new members in chat. It helps me to get a feel for who they are, connect with them better, and get them oriented. It's certainly not necessary, but I find it's a useful tool for me.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi