Downloading Coursework for Initiates

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #120206 by
Will do, are you still in NZ, or are you in the states?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 6 months ago #120211 by Brenna
In NZ :)

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

More
10 years 6 months ago #120223 by steamboat28
sidenote: should we start a separate topic for discussion of the torrent idea for the future?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 6 months ago #120225 by Jestor
I don't know about this....

Torrents, I mean...

Really, as Ren is our Librarian, he should be here speaking, lol...

I don't see anything wrong with this thread being used for this discussion...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
10 years 6 months ago #120284 by Wescli Wardest
In the BitTorrent file distribution system, a torrent file is a computer file that contains metadata about files and folders to be distributed, and usually also a list of the network locations of trackers, which are computers that help participants in the system find each other and form efficient distribution groups called swarms. A torrent file does not contain the content to be distributed; it only contains information about those files, such as their names, sizes, folder structure, and cryptographic hash values for verifying file integrity. Depending on context, a torrent may be the torrent file or the referenced content.

Typically, Internet access is asymmetrical, supporting greater download speeds than upload speeds, limiting the bandwidth of each download, and sometimes enforcing bandwidth caps and periods where systems are not accessible. This creates inefficiency when many people want to obtain the same set of files from a single source; the source must always be online and must have massive outbound bandwidth. The BitTorrent protocol addresses this by decentralizing the distribution, leveraging the ability of people to network "peer-to-peer", among themselves.

Each file to be distributed is divided into small information chunks called pieces. Downloading peers achieve rapid download speeds by requesting multiple pieces from different computers in the swarm. Once obtained, these pieces are usually immediately made available for download by others in the swarm. In this way, the burden on the network is spread among the downloaders, rather than concentrating at a central distribution hub or cluster. As long as all the pieces are available, peers (downloaders and uploaders) can come and go; no one peer needs to have all the chunks, or to even stay connected to the swarm in order for distribution to continue among the other peers.

As we are a singular unit I am not sure how adding ourselves to a swarm would help when most if not all information is already out there to be found via torrent. And, I would view it as an additional security risk. Just my opinion though... for what it is.

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

More
10 years 6 months ago #120304 by steamboat28

Wescli Wardest wrote: As we are a singular unit I am not sure how adding ourselves to a swarm would help when most if not all information is already out there to be found via torrent. And, I would view it as an additional security risk. Just my opinion though... for what it is.

My train of thought was that while "we" are a single unit, we utilize separate machines. The IP requests the files be downloaded rather than streamed for very logical reasons, and my thinking was that a torrent would lighten the burden on the bandwidth of the TotJO server itself by dividing distribution among many members.

I don't necessarily see it as a greater security risk than the current model of operation--could you help me understand your reasoning in this regard?

More
10 years 6 months ago #120335 by Wescli Wardest
Yes. Instead of having one secure source to download from, there would be many to pull from; a bit here and a bit there. Then, each person that was on could potentially spread something to every other member unknowingly. At that point, anyone wanting to cause harm to our members would only have to have some part of the IP available for download and attach some virus, worm, Trojan… and it would get spread.

I do not use torrents for that reason alone. You don’t know who the source is.

Maybe I am a bit paranoid… could be. :blink:

hahahahhaha :D

More
10 years 6 months ago #120365 by steamboat28

Wescli Wardest wrote: Then, each person that was on could potentially spread something to every other member unknowingly.

Perhaps this is the former-technological-professional in me speaking, but if you don't have protection on your machine against such threats, there is a very high likelihood that you shouldn't be online to begin with. A frequent scanning of the contents of the associated files would be plenty to ensure this not be a soooooper-dee-duper problem. You could also put out a simple request that no one but certain members seed the files; it would be nigh impossible to enforce, but most people here would agree to such terms, and a great many people refuse to seed anyhow, as it doesn't agree with their ISP's guidelines on how best to use bandwidth.

More
10 years 6 months ago #120373 by Wescli Wardest
I agree, everyone should have software to protect their computers before getting online. But unfortunately, no software developer is aware of all threats all the time and not everyone is always the most up-to-date.

Because the material on the IP does exist out there in most formats and can be found to download from many sources already I would advise against the additional security risk at this moment seeing how we (TOTJO) have limited resources that could be better allocated in other directions currently.

Keep in mind that is just my opinion, and I do not set policy.

A year or so ago I was making a list of known, safe download sites for members that were having a problem with our downloads. Perhaps we could spend some time and continue researching additional rescores to distribute when needed?

More
10 years 6 months ago #120376 by steamboat28

Wescli Wardest wrote: A year or so ago I was making a list of known, safe download sites for members that were having a problem with our downloads. Perhaps we could spend some time and continue researching additional rescores to distribute when needed?

Part of the problem with that is that everything currently in the IP is copyrighted material, which means that with the constantly increasing push against "Internet piracy" (which is a wholly separate soapbox), those types of sites may or may not stay up very long.

The few ways around this that I, personally, see are:
  1. Keep things as they are
  2. Encourage off-site downloads (potentially unsafe)
  3. Seed a torrent (potentially hazardous)
  4. Offer "official" links to the material where it may be purchased (expensive for members, but allows potential affiliate revenue for the Temple itself)
  5. Redevelop the IP to include only original content (to be disseminated through ways 1 or 3) that refers to the current content via citation
  6. Some combination of the above

I honestly believe that, in order to further develop and evolve the Temple, #5 will be beneficial and necessary sooner rather than later, as well as providing a scholarly outlet for some of the Temple's teachers, but that some combination of those options will ultimately be the most helpful.

my $0.02

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi