Sunday Sermons.... Why?

More
19 Jan 2013 19:16 #90235 by Zephyrus
Replied by Zephyrus on topic Sunday Sermons.... Why?
Eh, I still don't get it. *le sigh*

Oh well.

The Black Wizard ~ Rainbow Chaos Magick ~ Thelemite

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2013 19:31 #90239 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Sunday Sermons.... Why?

MCSH wrote: Then I guess the only reason is that day being weekend. Thanks for your answers.

Just one note Ryujin:
The only world- known religion that do sermon on Sunday is Christianity. Both Islam and Jewish have it on Friday.

Ah,...I had read somewhere that one was Friday, one was Saturday, and one was Sunday...then I had heard something different from someone, so there's a bit of confusion it would seem with my sources....maybe that's part of why those 3 views don't get along?....but yeah long made short it's because of the weekend

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Out of darkness, he brings light. Out of hatred, love. Out of dishonor, honor-james allen-
He who has conquered doubt and fear has conquered failure-james allen-
The sword is the key to heaven and hell-Mahomet-
The best won victory is that obtained without shedding blood-Count Katsu-
All men's souls are immortal, only the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine -Socrates-
I'm the best at what I do, what I do ain't pretty-wolverine

J.L.Lawson,Sr Knight, B.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
19 Jan 2013 19:39 #90240 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Sunday Sermons.... Why?
I remember the goal was having a regular sermon once a week posted no earlier than Friday or later than Sunday. It was the weekend that was in mind.

According to the Arabic proverb, there are no such things as a Phoenix, a Ghoul, or a True Bosom Friend, but I say to you that I found them all among my neighbors. ~ Kahlil Gibran
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, MCSH

More
19 Jan 2013 19:46 #90241 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Sunday Sermons.... Why?
I seem to recall that being mentioned long ago too

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Out of darkness, he brings light. Out of hatred, love. Out of dishonor, honor-james allen-
He who has conquered doubt and fear has conquered failure-james allen-
The sword is the key to heaven and hell-Mahomet-
The best won victory is that obtained without shedding blood-Count Katsu-
All men's souls are immortal, only the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine -Socrates-
I'm the best at what I do, what I do ain't pretty-wolverine

J.L.Lawson,Sr Knight, B.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
19 Jan 2013 21:43 #90248 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Sunday Sermons.... Why?
In some places the start of the week is monday, not sunday... And Sunday counts as "weekend"...

I don't think it matters for the sermons, as long as they're every 7 days...

For the live services sunday doesn't seem such a good idea as totjo sundays are usually quiet.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MCSH

More
30 Jan 2013 21:31 #92246 by Mark Anjuu
Replied by Mark Anjuu on topic Sunday Sermons.... Why?
I believe the general idea was that people are more likely to be free on Sundays as that's the most accepted "day off" from work.

As Br.John mentioned, sermons can be issued at any point during the weekend. But services are usually held on Sunday because people are less likely to have work commitments. I know I wouldn't usually be able to attend on any other day.

Rev. Mark Barwell OCP
  • Pastor of the Order
  • Vice President, Bishop and Councillor of TOTJO
  • Arch-Bishop of the U.K.
  • GrandMaster Knight of Jediism
  • Paganism Special Interest Advisor
Apprentices: Leena, Darren, Slydogstags, meatloaf, Rosalyn J
Former Apprentices: Karn, Angelus, Adder, Phortis Nespin

More
30 Jan 2013 21:41 #92251 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Sunday Sermons.... Why?

services are usually held on Sunday because people are less likely to have work commitments. I know I wouldn't usually be able to attend on any other day.

There's a very low turnout. knightings in the middle of the week however have proven quite popular.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
30 Jan 2013 22:05 #92258 by Alastor
Replied by Alastor on topic Sunday Sermons.... Why?
Islam is Friday, Judaism is Saturday, and Christianity is Sunday, trust me i had to attend services all three days to make my family happy. My father's side is Islamic, my mother's side is both Jewish and Christian. I had a wonderful childhood no?

Light comes from Darkness, Darkness comes from Light. One is the same as the other; it is you who makes the difference
The following user(s) said Thank You: MCSH

More
03 Feb 2013 17:28 #92912 by JimCode3
Replied by JimCode3 on topic Sunday Sermons.... Why?

Alastor wrote: Islam is Friday, Judaism is Saturday, and Christianity is Sunday, trust me i had to attend services all three days to make my family happy. My father's side is Islamic, my mother's side is both Jewish and Christian. I had a wonderful childhood no?

At least it's an "active" childhood with exposure to multiple lines of thought. That can't be totally bad? But, December must be a mess!

~ Rev. Jim Scott, D.D.
[In-joke by a bored CCIE] tracert -h 100 216.81.59.173
• ☺ + ☻: The Force is a balance between the light and the dark. Be aware of that when choosing on Thanksgiving day ....
• "I am a leaf on the wind: watch how I soar." - Hoban "Wash" Washburne (Serenity)
• "Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?" ~ George Goebel (live on "Tonight with Johnny Carson")
• "Don't judge a scroll by its paper." ~ Gabrielle (Xena: 1x10 - Hooves and Harlots)
• "Forward through shot & shell, here we go into the mouth of Hell!" - Corporal Louie Nichols (Robotech)
• "How are you? [... blasts the console ...] It was a boring conversation anyway." - Han Solo (SW IV)
• "Five card stud, nothing wild, and the sky's the limit." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard (ST:TNG - All Good Things...)
• "Trust in the Harper: the Harper is good!" - Seamus Zelazny Harper (Andromeda)
• "Sometimes [...] you just have to bow to the absurd!" ~ Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: the Next Generation (2x18: "Up the Long Ladder")
• "Did you ever get the feeling that you were forgetting something, but you didn't know what?" ~ Hong Kong Fooey (voiced by Scatman Crothers)
• "Growing up happens in a heartbeat. One day you're in diapers, the next day you're gone. But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul. I remember a place, a town, a house, like a lot of houses. A yard like a lot of other yards. On a street like a lot of other streets. And the thing is, after all these years, I still look back... with wonder." ~ Kevin Cooper (adult), final quote of TV show "Wonder Years"
• "When you talk to God, why do you look into the tree tops? Is God a squirrel?" ~ Diana Trent (Waiting for God, "Fraulein Mueller")

Diana: "That's the other point: someone's got to be wrong. It's either billions of them or billions of us. There is no God!"
Tom: "Prove it!"
Jane: "[Enters room] Hello Tom! how are you today?"
Diana: "There's my proof! If your God's so smart, how come He chose this clockwork ding-dong to run his local supporter's club?"
~ Waiting for God, "Fraulein Mueller" - Seamus Zelazny Harper (Andromeda)

More
03 Feb 2013 17:49 #92916 by Alastor
Replied by Alastor on topic Sunday Sermons.... Why?
Not really, i feel its the one time they all actually got along, of course, in the end i never decided on practicing either of the three religions, so this December was rather..."cold" on my end :p

Light comes from Darkness, Darkness comes from Light. One is the same as the other; it is you who makes the difference