What IS Relgion?

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #358270 by Carlos.Martinez3
So, for those who It IS for, this is for you.
What truly IS RELIGION or spirituality? Here, in our ORDER, we have Knights and Clergy. Whats the diffrence between them? Is there? For us directly. I know and I can read books and definitions of things but truly Modern Day Jedi, what is the spiritual side or the religious side of Modern Day Jedi ism? Is there?
What IS religion really?
Does it have a place in our own practices?
Feel free to directly contact me if you like but I really want to know what it means to YOU, not what you've been taught...
Feel free to join in how you see fit.
If religion ISNT your thing, well thats ok too, just say so as well. Its ok to NOT have faith as much as it is ok TO have religious practices.
So, what ya think?
DARE TO SHARE?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #358272 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic What IS Relgion?
For me, religion is organized spirituality. Seems counter intuitive, but like training wheels, it has its place. Knights(here or otherwise) and others involved maintain and upkeep that system. Somebody who sets aside time because they believe the system they support can help people and should continue, especially if it helped them.

I would say when you can maintain your spirituality and let your religion go, you have graduated. You are then able to go back and teach, or move on with your life as best suited as you can be in that realm.

There are other reasons people come here(or to any religion, for that matter) but this is the gestalt of its necessity to me.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: J. K. Barger, Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #358278 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic What IS Relgion?
According to Wikipedia:

Scholars have failed to agree on a definition of religion. There are however two general definition systems: the sociological/functional and the phenomenological/philosophical.

Emile Durkheim defined religion as "a unified system of beliefs and practices relative to sacred things, that is to say things set apart and forbidden - beliefs and practices which unite into one single moral community called a church, all those who adhere to them."

Max Lynn Stackhouse, defined religion as "a comprehensive worldview or 'metaphysical moral vision' that is accepted as binding because it is held to be in itself basically true and just even if all dimensions of it cannot be either fully confirmed or refuted".

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Proteus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
3 years 1 month ago #358279 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic What IS Relgion?
Do you share these?

Build, not tear down.

More
3 years 1 month ago #358288 by Carlos.Martinez3
We as Modern day Jedi can define our own definitions. Its a gift from the Inherent worth we all belive in.
I define religion as ANY PERSONS RELIANCE upon a pivital value or chosen merrit. Does it have to be religious or spiritual in context? Some times Ive met a hard no on that one.

Is the search for VIRTUE spiritual?

https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Clergy/123569-a-modern-day-jedi-s-book-of-change-a-shepards-journal
As a human and as a chosen Jedi, we all have the privilege where and what we title "the Force." It can be the idea or/and the ebb and flow- the Way- or the practice- either for character, guidance or even lead. Some parts we may not be able explain, that's ok too! No one Force may be like the other. Simply put, the Force is the way we freely and actually choose to merit. By this, it can never be the same. Our beginning and creation can depend on a choice to seek that which can never be named and experienced fully. These are steps towards understanding.

Build, not tear down.

More
3 years 1 month ago #358311 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic What IS Relgion?
Compared to what it isn't.... yea probably a set of imagined affordances which are participated with in some systematic way.
Not to suggest it's fantasy, but rather they need to be imagined because they are not tangible.... which is where the belief enters the equation. And what elevates this above other things is they are believed to be affordances; ie in existence (even if not tangible).
Spirituality probably could differ slightly in that it might work with the same definition but not project that belief outside of the body....
..which begs the question, could that definition of spirituality be extended from body to all known things (ie pantheism etc) and therefore religion therefore just be the unknown (ie supernatural) constructs.
At the moment I don't like the distinction (because of my Force belief) and therefore agree with the 'religion is organised spirituality' approach.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kira

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #358313 by Carlos.Martinez3
What part is intangible in religion?

Build, not tear down.

More
3 years 1 month ago #358323 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic What IS Relgion?
Did you write inside of my post again? LOL

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
3 years 1 month ago #358326 by Carlos.Martinez3
Please understand I love it when you post Rugadd...

What would the training wheels on religion be? For what purpose? To only remove itself from the equation and leave what? What is it religion does for us? For you ?

I think i did miculpa

Build, not tear down.

More
3 years 1 month ago #358398 by Carlos.Martinez3
“I don’t like to look at the science parts” he said “I feel that takes away from the spirituality of it.”

This is a quote from a new journal im digging right now...

Does Religion need explanations to merit? Is religion based on experience or understanding or a bit more?

Build, not tear down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kira

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi