Meeting of the Clergy 23 April 2016 18:00 UTC

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #239116 by

Trisskar wrote: I was asked to explain my reasoning behind the Leveled Preiets ranks. Thought id share it here....

I just looked up the Latin Name for each color XD And then used the common colors seen in druidry and other pagan circles.

Deacon ---> Lvl I - Brunis (Brown) Priest/Priestess
Priest ---> Lvl II - Viride (Green) Priest/Priestess
Bishop ---> Lvl III Album (White) Priest/Priestess

Brown being the Earth and Soil in which seeds grow from

Green being the foliage and growth of plants and life

White being the usual "Purity" symbolism it usually holds
Which, Depending on who you talk to ---- Is just another level of beginner :-p In other words one went from one level of begginer to another level. In which case the White will eventually return to brown with the hardship of training ((White Belt Japanese theory))

I enjoy latin, and I like the way how you use changing trades of a living organism inside ranks! It also reminds me of the Maiar in the Tolkien series. If there was only a blue rank in it.. :)
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #239118 by Avalon
I do like that Triss :)

[Hr]

I just wanted to clarify that I (and I'm sure others who have spoken out in regards to this change) am not against it changing. I simply just want whatever the change is to be relateable to the outside world. I happen to really like some of the suggestions which have come through and like that quite a few of them are far more spiritually significant than the currently suggested "guide". Change is good, just make it the right change, for the right reason, and something that can be meaningful to everyone, not just a few in our organization.

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #239119 by

Aqua wrote:

Trisskar wrote: I was asked to explain my reasoning behind the Leveled Preiets ranks. Thought id share it here....

I just looked up the Latin Name for each color XD And then used the common colors seen in druidry and other pagan circles.

Which, Depending on who you talk to ---- Is just another level of beginner :-p In other words one went from one level of begginer to another level. In which case the White will eventually return to brown with the hardship of training ((White Belt Japanese theory))

I enjoy latin, and I like the way how you use changing trades of a living organism inside ranks! It also reminds me of the Maiar in the Tolkien series. If there was only a blue rank in it.. :)

haha! It also reminds me of the wheel of time series XD they use colors as rank. It is influential to my own groups rank system (IE: Green Magi, Blue Magi, Red Magi....) But thats my group. I thought Priest fit this temple better with the basic "Earth/life" colors to match.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #239120 by

For what its worth, this totally has my vote.
Nice Job!

More
7 years 11 months ago #239125 by steamboat28

Trisskar wrote:

"White priest" has its own connotations that, ironically, are Christian in nature.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #239126 by

steamboat28 wrote:

Trisskar wrote:

"White priest" has its own connotations that, ironically, are Christian in nature.

As you yourself have so often pointed out for other subjects.

White Priest has many historical backgrounds. Including religions Before Christianity.

Don't like White. Make it blue then. *Shrugs*

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #239139 by Br. John
Let's look at religions that don't have clergy. Let's look at some of the new thought religions. Please keep in mind that when we decide these terms for our purposes when our clergy is registering for hospital visits, to conduct marriages and prison ministry - for example - we can still use the term minister since it's commonly understood so that's not a problem.

We could also have only one level of clergy but have certifications and continuing education certificates. So all Ministers would become Guides (still Ministers for legal purposes) but they'd be:

Certified Marriage Celebrant
Certified Funeral Celebrant
Certified Spiritual Counselor

Doctor Most common: Doctor of Divinity (D.o.D.) or Doctor of Metaphysics (D.o.M.)
Counselor
Life coach
Healing practitioner
Religious Science Practitioner

Let's be creative.

And I urge the use of Chaplain for the highest trained and well versed clergy. The armed forces uses the term irrespective of the religion of the Chaplain. It's very generic and there are even Humanist Chaplains and Charlie Chaplains.

Founder of The Order
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Br. John.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #239157 by

Br. John wrote: Let's look at religions that don't have clergy. Let's look at some of the new thought religions. Please keep in mind that when we decide these terms for our purposes when our clergy is registering for hospital visits, to conduct marriages and prison ministry - for example - we can still use the term minister since it's commonly understood so that's not a problem.

I still hate the word "guide", but as long as I can call myself a minister here and in meatspace, I'd concede for the sake of sanity. This isn't worth killing each other over. I just want to be able to say why I'm in a place (hospital, wedding chapel) without having to annoy a busy hospital receptionist/secretary who doesn't care about our beliefs and just wants to get things done. They shouldn't have to "be curious" to get the point.

We could also have only one level of clergy but have certifications and continuing education certificates. So all Ministers would become Guides (still Ministers for legal purposes) but they'd be:

Certified Marriage Celebrant
Certified Funeral Celebrant
Certified Spiritual Counselor

Doctor Most common: Doctor of Divinity (D.o.D.) or Doctor of Metaphysics (D.o.M.)
Counselor
Life coach
Healing practitioner
Religious Science Practitioner

And the system mentioned here actually feels good. I wonder how much extra work it would be for the folks in charge to keep a handle on all of those gnarly certifications and things though. The number of them seems like it can get a little hairy. Where's Edan with the spreadsheet? :woohoo: :whistle: (I might actually volunteer... on the distant chance we decide to do something so different from what we're already doing.)

And I urge the use of Chaplain for the highest trained and well versed clergy. The armed forces uses the term irrespective of the religion of the Chaplain. It's very generic and there are even Humanist Chaplains and Charlie Chaplains.

I can get on board with that B)
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by .

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #239162 by Kit

Br. John wrote: ...It's very generic and there are even Humanist Chaplains ...

There are no military Humanist Chaplains. :angry: (something I'm upset about)

Is Chaplain used outside the military though?
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Kit.

More
7 years 11 months ago #239175 by Breeze el Tierno
Chaplains serve in hospitals as well.

I don't hate Chaplain.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi