What Makes Prayer Work?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #7077 by
What Makes Prayer Work? was created by
What Makes Prayer Work?
Prayer is the conduit thought which the spiritual real is brought into our everyday lives. But how do we make it work?

by Jennifer Kennedy Dean

It's all about a relationship!

God has created mankind so that we naturally hunger for a relationship with Him. He has built that yearning for Himself into our frame; He has encoded eternal longings in our spiritual DNA structure. The Scripture says, \"He has also set eternity in the hearts of men\" (Eccl. 3:11). The famous theologian, C.S. Lewis, wrote \"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.\" (Mere Christianity)

Prayer is the bridge between Heaven and Earth. It is the conduit through which the spiritual realm is brought into our everyday lives. Prayer is the way our spirits breathe. Just as our lungs require oxygen and are designed to seek it out, so our spirits require the presence of God and are designed to seek Him out. Without His presence, we are left gasping for meaning and desperately seeking our purpose in life. We find ourselves trying our best to pray because it is as needful as air for our lungs. Prayer is the method God uses to provide not only our daily needs from food to shelter but also comfort, strength and guidance. The late E. Stanley Jones, missionary and preacher, wrote, \"Prayer ... is the opening of a channel from my emptiness into His fullness.\" (Abundant Living)

Answers depend on the relationship!

You find yourself drawn to prayer, curious about prayer, or even desperate for prayer. Maybe you've tried prayer and prayer has failed you. Maybe you can point to unanswered prayer after unanswered prayer, proving that prayer doesn't work.Does that describe you? Welcome! You are at this Web site because God wants you to understand how you can have a fulfilling relationship with Him that will turn prayer from a fruitless exercise to an exciting adventure.

Prayer = Love

Prayer works in the context of relationship. Once the relationship is established, you will find that prayer is its natural expression. It is simply speaking and listening to your Heavenly Father. God wants to answer our prayers. Answered prayer is how He manifests Himself in our life and makes this relationship personal \"For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.\" Prayer is the intimacy that flows spontaneously from a loving relationship.

Imagine that you went into a restaurant with your father. Imagine that you and your father ordered your meals, and when the waiter brought them to your table, he said to your father, \"That looks delicious. I want to try a bite of that!\" Then imagine the waiter picks up a fork and helps himself to a bite from your father's plate. It would be inappropriate. You would be offended. You would demand an apology.

Now imagine that you and your father ordered your meals, the waiter brought them to your table, and you said to your father, \"That looks delicious. I want to try a bite of that!\" Imagine that you pick up a fork and help yourself to a bite from your father's plate. It would be natural. Your father would be happy to share his meal with you. It would be an accepted intimacy.What is the difference between the two scenarios? Not the words. Not the actions. Not the intention. The difference is the relationship. The child has access to the father that the stranger does not. (Adapted from Live a Praying Life by Jennifer Kennedy Dean)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi