The Mormons...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #7397 by
Replied by on topic Re:The Mormons...
Why so many bad experiences, we are not all bad. there are those of us who believe that everything is black and white and then there are others of us who believe that god wants us to have a little wiggle room from time to time. no one should be told that the choices they are making are wrong when they don't know the full extent of the circumstances. God gave us free agency as a way of being free to make our own decisions and then be held accountible whether for good or for bad. every religion has their good and bad about them it's up to you as individuals to discover just what they are.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 6 months ago #7399 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:The Mormons...
Trojan Princess wrote:

Why so many bad experiences, we are not all bad. there are those of us who believe that everything is black and white and then there are others of us who believe that god wants us to have a little wiggle room from time to time. no one should be told that the choices they are making are wrong when they don't know the full extent of the circumstances. God gave us free agency as a way of being free to make our own decisions and then be held accountible whether for good or for bad. every religion has their good and bad about them it's up to you as individuals to discover just what they are.

Experiences are what we ourselves make of them. They certainly don`t make anyone else good or bad. In my case, my experience opened other doors, it was the path I had to take. Trojan Princess you are right, that everything is left upto us to respond in our innate right of freedom.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #7404 by
I agree with you 100% and as I continualy learn what my wiggle room is in life, I find that I do need to be tested on my openess towards other people and take them on a person by person evaluation, not all the time does one bad apple spoil the whole berrel you must look at each apple and pick the best of the bunch.
I've not had any \"Bad\" experence with the Mormons, it is with just some of the Ideals that I have a problem with, my three catagories for how a church body dictates how welcoming it is, Blacks, Women and Homosexuals.
Finaly after the 60's Blacks are invited, women well it still needs work and Homosexuals even more work.
I have no doubt that in time (not today as I keep my mind in the here and now) the LDS church will welcome all, I know this because a lot of the youth that my partner has come in contact with have been asking a lot of qhy questions and that is when you know a church is starting to grow up when it is not afraid to ask why.
Why should we keep X,Y and Z out, what does it serve in worshiping the lord, is the message and good news for everyone who wants to hear it.
Free will, yes Trojan Princess we all have it and that is why we have the ability evolve beyond our phobias and sexism.
On a side note I am enjoying reading all the points of view on this subject as it helps me a lot to being true to the force a Jedi of the light.
MTFBWY

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #7647 by
In my travels, I have learned several things about the Mormon faith.

I have found Mormons to be more devout in their beliefs and standards then other christian faiths, which I find commendable.

I have found Mormons to be less then receptive to other ideas, which is very commen in the christian faiths.

I am a christian, and while I do not believe in the book of Mormon, just as I do not believe in the Koran, I respect it as a holy book because Mormons respect it as a holy book.

While I have philosophical and doctrinal differences with the Mormon faith, as I do with most christian faiths, I see the underlying principles of Christianity. The belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and the acknowledgement of his crucifiction as a sacrifice for the sins of man.

At the roots of the faith, I can agree that they are part of the christian community, and not a cult as many believe. And for that, I respect them and their faith.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 6 months ago #7649 by Jon
Before I say anything, it is my opinion that anyone who with a true heart put their trust in Jesus Christ is a Christian. It is also my experience that no Chruch (with no exceptions) is free from exclusiveness nor inclusiveness. To compare one Church with another and put them on an evaluation scale is to do great injustice to its members.
One reason I can think of why for example the Christian Church of the Latter Day Saints is not accepted by the other Christian Churches is because the latter have only the Bible as a written source of revelation whereas the prior has the Bible and the Book of Mormon. This does make a difference as far as communality is concerned.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #7656 by
I feel that mormons are one of the most devoted groups to God. I once dated a mormon, and although she was not active in the church, I could honestly say that she at her spiritual lowest was higher than I was at one of my highest. I love the mormon faith and have in the past sharply defended it from anybody who dared to say that mormons aren't christians. I also get upset when \"polygamy\" and \"mormon\" are used together. Polygamy is no more in the church and people need to understand this.

More
16 years 6 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #7657 by Garm
Replied by Garm on topic Re:The Mormons...
I have known (met and worked with) only one family that are of the Morman faith. If I use them as a method of measuring I would have to say that I found nothing that would convince me that they differ much from anyone else. They were great friends and even though I have moved away, we still keep in touch. This rings true for people of any faith that I have met, some people can be a little overzellous about their views, however it is not limited to any single religion, but rather to the individuals themselves and not to any group.

For me, I do not care what faith anyone follows or how we choose conduct our personal lives ie: sexual preferences and such. We all have the same basic goals in life and as long as we keep the respect of others in mind while we go about the task of obtaining these goals then we all should be able to be happy.

As far as different religions go, I have read a quote somewhere that comes to mind concerning the many different systems offered; \"All faiths have the same destination, we only choose different travel agents\".

MTFBWUA

Bshp. Lenny O.C.P.
Master Jedi
Last edit: 15 years 2 months ago by Garm.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 6 months ago #7659 by Jon
\"If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written: \"For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.\" No in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.\"
-Rm 8,31-39

Paul's faith was authentic because he followed Christ daily in death to self. His power as a follower of Christ was based on the Holy Spirit's use of his willingness to die to self over and over again. It was based not on his faith in himself but on his faith in Christ.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #7663 by
I'm glad to see so much positive energy flowing in this topic. I am hoping that it will help the members of this site to better understand mine and perris and a few other members religion and help to answer many questions you have about our faith. I'm glad I am able to give wise council as far as my religion is concerned and help all to better understand my belief system and my standards.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 6 months ago #7693 by Jon
According to Mormons, Jesus Christ is literally their elder brother, since he was the firstborn in the spirit world. It is helds that the Son's pre-existence was only as vague, unformed matter until his heavenly parents begot his spirit. Jesus Christ can be called the \"firstborn\" only because his was the first \"spirit body\" formed by his heavenly parents.

This is where the Mormons fundamentally differentiate themselves from other Christian Churches. These Churches believe: as the Second Person of the Trinity, the Son of the Father, Christ exists eternally. There never was a time when he was not.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi