A Necessary Schism in Christianity

  • lejo creel
  • lejo creel's Avatar
  • Guest
29 Oct 2012 13:52 #78659 by lejo creel
Replied by lejo creel on topic A Necessary Schism in Christianity
i fully agree with this the fact of the matter is i think thst the christian church has become rather a monster they judge which theyre own religion tells them not to do they cant seem to accept others. as a former catholic i remember how this religion in my own opinion blinded me to reality i am not saying this to insult those who are following this path but these are my own opinions i had met nothing but intolorence and inacceptance when i followed the christians more so on deeper study of the religion i have learned things i did not know about the religion the caused me to qeustion it however to those who do follow it i am not judging if this is where your heart is the follow it but for myself it was not a fit i cannot see myself ever following this path again the only religious groups that accepted me without judgement have been the pagans and of course the jedi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2012 14:08 #78660 by Williamkaede
Alternative groups know what it's like to be judged, so they don't do it as often.

Passion, authenticity, power, victory.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Resticon
  • Resticon's Avatar
  • Guest
29 Oct 2012 16:43 #78671 by Resticon
Replied by Resticon on topic A Necessary Schism in Christianity
As a Catholic and a Jedi, I have actually found that the two paths mesh very well. Jesus was all about love and forgiveness. Just because some Christians today have forgotten these principles and focused all of their attention on certain other verses of the Bible (namely from the Old Testament) does not necessarily mean that Christianity as a whole is wrong or immoral even in today's society. After all, the Jedi Creed was originally a prayer from a Catholic Saint and Jesus himself said...

“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. - Matthew 7:1-5

I have met quite a few Christians who have read this verse and used it to try and curb their own judgement. Please try not to call an entire religion judgmental and wrong without first understanding that, for me at least, Jediism and Christianity have quite similar teachings.

Regarding Hell...I guess that depends on what you believe happens when you die. Will your consciousness disappear when you die or will it continue on? If it does continue on will you "go" somewhere else, will you be left with your own thoughts of how you lived your life, or will your consciousness be free to flow with the universe or after those you left behind? These are questions that everyone wonders and no one knows. Many people believe different things will happen upon our death. If our consciousness does continue on, is it not possible that those who have lived a life of pain, anger and fear will be left with nothing but a "Hell" of their own making?

Regarding Satan...perhaps the Devil is merely the devil within ourselves. All people are capable of good and evil. Even those people who don't think there is such a thing as "Good and Evil" still have their own personal morality that they live by. Even though something may seem good in one person's perspective it could very well be evil in another's. Perhaps both exist within each and every person. Even Joseph Campbell said that we all have our dragons to slay.

The politics bit is just Christianity being used where it should not be. Religion has no place in any government. For example, consider if the current government believed in Nordic or Greek Gods. Would you want them telling you what to believe or how to pray?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • lejo creel
  • lejo creel's Avatar
  • Guest
29 Oct 2012 16:59 #78674 by lejo creel
Replied by lejo creel on topic A Necessary Schism in Christianity
now i respect those that are true to there paths i do not hate anyone what i hate is forgetting ones ways as i said if catholisism or christianity is where your heart is then there is nothing wrong with that but please dont lose sight of your values for as good as ones intentions can be that good can be twisted to evil with the right incentive not to go all star wars nerd but in the films anakinskywalkers intentions were good but became twisted and he turned into lord vader this analogy is perfect in describing someone who loses there values

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • suliskveteba
  • suliskveteba's Avatar
  • Guest
28 Feb 2013 06:20 #96044 by suliskveteba
Replied by suliskveteba on topic A Necessary Schism in Christianity
eastern orthodox christianity follows quite different views

yet I think it is just as important

because it is the second most subscribed form of christianity

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • suliskveteba
  • suliskveteba's Avatar
  • Guest
11 Mar 2013 06:14 #97338 by suliskveteba
Replied by suliskveteba on topic A Necessary Schism in Christianity

Star Forge wrote: the Eastern Orthodox and Methodist Churches of today teach a similar doctrine, but not the the extent that they should..



no, the eastern orthodox church makes it very clear on what theosis means and they teach it extensively

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Star Forge
  • Star Forge's Avatar Topic Author
  • Guest
14 Mar 2013 15:48 #97813 by Star Forge
Replied by Star Forge on topic A Necessary Schism in Christianity

suliskveteba wrote:

Star Forge wrote: the Eastern Orthodox and Methodist Churches of today teach a similar doctrine, but not the the extent that they should..



no, the eastern orthodox church makes it very clear on what theosis means and they teach it extensively


Wow, this is still going on after over a year :)

When I wrote this, I was a bit less educated and more radical than I am now, which explains the tone, but my overall convictions in this post still stand. Regarding Theosis: I've read up on Orthodoxy more over the past year, and yes, it's certainly at the fore of their doctrine, but I never maintained otherwise. What I meant to say is, I think that they should emphasize it more to non-Orthodox. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they should evangelize and all, as that's one thing I admire about Orthodoxy is that it has never handed me a tract. However, their doctrine of Theosis is NEEDED in this world, for all Christians, as well as possibly for those outside the faith. Also, I did not mean to say that Orthodoxy and Methodism have an identical teaching on the subject, HOWEVER, Wesley DID study Orthodoxy in great depth, and basically used the Theosis doctrine as the basis for the Methodist doctrine of Sanctification (which has since spread to a few other Protestant denominations).

Hope that clears things up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • suliskveteba
  • suliskveteba's Avatar
  • Guest
16 Mar 2013 09:30 #98104 by suliskveteba
Replied by suliskveteba on topic A Necessary Schism in Christianity

Star Forge wrote:

suliskveteba wrote:

Star Forge wrote: the Eastern Orthodox and Methodist Churches of today teach a similar doctrine, but not the the extent that they should..



no, the eastern orthodox church makes it very clear on what theosis means and they teach it extensively


Wow, this is still going on after over a year :)

When I wrote this, I was a bit less educated and more radical than I am now, which explains the tone, but my overall convictions in this post still stand. Regarding Theosis: I've read up on Orthodoxy more over the past year, and yes, it's certainly at the fore of their doctrine, but I never maintained otherwise. What I meant to say is, I think that they should emphasize it more to non-Orthodox. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they should evangelize and all, as that's one thing I admire about Orthodoxy is that it has never handed me a tract. However, their doctrine of Theosis is NEEDED in this world, for all Christians, as well as possibly for those outside the faith. Also, I did not mean to say that Orthodoxy and Methodism have an identical teaching on the subject, HOWEVER, Wesley DID study Orthodoxy in great depth, and basically used the Theosis doctrine as the basis for the Methodist doctrine of Sanctification (which has since spread to a few other Protestant denominations).

Hope that clears things up.


it does, however your comment of "but not the extent that they should" is still wrong, it is widely expressed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Star Forge
  • Star Forge's Avatar Topic Author
  • Guest
16 Mar 2013 21:18 #98136 by Star Forge
Replied by Star Forge on topic A Necessary Schism in Christianity
Like I said, I wrote this when I was less educated on the subject, and I was more saying that they should share the idea with non-Orthodox more, in my opinion. I would have liked for an Orthodox person to have shared it with me at one point.

But then again, like I said, one of the virtues of Orthodoxy, in my opinion, is that it doesn't street-preach or evangelize.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • suliskveteba
  • suliskveteba's Avatar
  • Guest
17 Mar 2013 03:33 #98170 by suliskveteba
Replied by suliskveteba on topic A Necessary Schism in Christianity

Star Forge wrote: Like I said, I wrote this when I was less educated on the subject, and I was more saying that they should share the idea with non-Orthodox more, in my opinion. I would have liked for an Orthodox person to have shared it with me at one point.

But then again, like I said, one of the virtues of Orthodoxy, in my opinion, is that it doesn't street-preach or evangelize.


that also attracted me to orthodoxy when I returned to Georgia in 2004

they also don't proselytise ( I forgot how to spell that word)

in fact they deny the writings of paul where he did exactly that


but one thing you should know, is that to truly understand orthodoxy, you won't find it in my posts or reading books

Orthodoxy is an experience, I am glad to hear that you have interest in looking at the parishes and I encourage you to visit

I am not trying to convert you, if anybody is wondering, but this is how you will understand orthdoxy, because like everything their beliefs are the concepts

and that is 10% or practicality 90% is execution

I seriously reccomend archbishop Lazar, he is a very gentle man, and to be honest his videos really do capture the essence of the orthodox enviroment so check it out and enjoy!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: KobosBrick