Christian Jedi Journal

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #285017 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Christian Jedi Journal
A professor of world religion told me that a question i need to ask is "how and what did the original believers actually believe?"

According to him, the original christians believed in jesus's divinity. The reason the gospels were not written for so long after jesuss death was because his disciples really believed he was coming back in their life times. They believed he was son of man, performed miracles and rose from the dead.

There is imo merit to the case that if you do not believe in the literal version of jesus-as-divine complete with death and resurection and salvation that youre not, and cannot be called a christian. Basic tenent of "thingness" is that when you change a thing at a fundamental level then it is not the same thing anymore. I can see that argument.

On the other hand, ideas and beliefs happen within our imaginations and dont follwo the same rules. I honestly believe in the value and usefulness of christ as a symbol of personal transformation and redemption, of dignity in the face of suffering, of the willingness to speak truth no matter the consequences, of the ability to forgive and to love freely, and of the humility to acquiesce to the higher good. I honestly believe that jesus "works" and is "real" in the sense that these things are possible to all of us: potentials that we can all choose to pursue (taking up our crosses). But i dont believe in eternity of the soul or "magic" or the bible version of god. But to someone who DOES believe in those things, my deviation counts as total corruption of the true teachings.

Religions and religious ideas evolve, and if enough people believe in a new way, they kind of get the "right" to call themselves whatever they want. Todays jews (and most any other religion) dont believe in exactly the same way as the ancient israelites, thats just what happens as culture develops, but they stil get to call themselves jews and in "tribes of israel"

It seems reasonable enough to me to consider myself christian according to my own understanding of jesus, even though the traditional christians would not agree.

Who is right? I guess the quesion is less "who is right" and more "what will people believe in 100 years?" because its not really an issue of who is right or wrong, rather its whoever is left standing that wins, so to speak

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, JamesSand

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #285020 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Christian Jedi Journal

Who is right? I guess the quesion is less "who is right" and more "what will people believe in 100 years?" because its not really an issue of who is right or wrong, rather its whoever is left standing that wins, so to speak

Pistols at dawn then?
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #285021 by OB1Shinobi
pistols sounds kind of dangerous, how 'bout a good ole fashioned thumb war?
and dawn is freaking early, cant we kill each other more like brunchish or so?

People are complicated.

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #285022 by JamesSand

pistols sounds kind of dangerous, how 'bout a good ole fashioned thumb war?

Ah, I'm seeing the plastic surgeon for my hand today....so if it's a thumb war, I'll have to postpone to allow a few weeks recovery.

Brunch could work though - Perhaps a weekend? I'm generally free between 8 and 11 on sundays...
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by JamesSand.

More
6 years 11 months ago #285023 by OB1Shinobi
Ah well, i dont do anything on sundays, its a religious thing you see...

People are complicated.

More
6 years 11 months ago #285025 by JamesSand
Yes, I've heard of that - No labour or blood feuds on a Sunday.

I used to be the same, but my government recently reviewed Sunday as being a traditional day of rest and has decided it is no longer relevent to the modern working week....I'm all for eternal salvation, but not if it gets in the way of the economy....

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #285026 by OB1Shinobi
Exactly. This is getting more and more inconveneient. You know what? I forgive you! (Jesus is gonna be so proud)

Edit
In sure jesus will punish them for that!

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #285057 by
Replied by on topic Christian Jedi Journal
I love seeing a war end peacefully over breakfast combos.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi