Why should we have "fear of God"?

More
8 years 7 months ago #199312 by Kit
And I'd be interested to hear it now too ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #199318 by Avalon

Kamizu wrote: And I'd be interested to hear it now too ;)

Wait...did you just give him permission to go on a rant spree? :dry: :huh: :unsure:

:P :P :P

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #199321 by steamboat28

Avalonslight wrote: Wait...did you just give him permission to go on a rant spree? :dry: :huh: :unsure:

Pfft. Like I need permission.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: J_Roz, Kit, Avalon

More
8 years 7 months ago #199322 by J_Roz

steamboat28 wrote:
Pfft. Like I need permission.

LOL Steam you are AWESOME!!!! Love ya Man!!!!

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #199329 by
Replied by on topic Why should we have "fear of God"?
I had always just assumed it was a holdover from times when church and government were attached at the hip, if not one and the same, and that it was simply a method by which the masses could be easily controlled. But I'm honestly not very well educated on history at the moment, so take that with a huge salt crystal.

More
8 years 7 months ago #199336 by Cyan Sarden

CryojenX wrote: I had always just assumed it was a holdover from times when church and government were attached at the hip, if not one and the same, and that it was simply a method by which the masses could be easily controlled. But I'm honestly not very well educated on history at the moment, so take that with a huge salt crystal.

I don't believe you're too far off here.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #199367 by

Gisteron wrote: Yea, that quote of mine is where I am acknowledging that I am perhaps being a little harsh. It's a matter of self-awareness. It had definately nothing to do with offense, and why would it? I put no stock in that book. The worst I can say is what I already said: When what you say about the Bible contradicts it, don't say you read it from cover to cover. It either just sounds like you really haven't read it or like you hope nobody else did and both looks worse than you need it to.

Right so don't stress about the cynical sentiment directed at me but you are calling me a lyre because my opinion from reading the bible doesn't match yours from not having read it? OK???? I'm guessing nothing I'm going to say is going to change your view of me as a lyre so I won't bother on this point.

As for my opinion: If you start at the very beginning of Exodus and read thought to 2:1 it is clear that the Egyptian rule was very oppressive to the point that the king of Egypt ordered the death of the Hebrew's male children. I'm saying the subsequent plagues by God were an act of justice and liberation of the oppressed. if I understand you correctly you are saying:

Gisteron wrote: Rather, God just felt like screwing with the Egyptians because at the time Exodus was composed the ancient Hebrews happened in their culture to dislike Egyptians quite a bit and probably found it pleasant to write and read their sick fantasies and manifest their attitude in the person of God.

That is a big claim about their culture, attitudes and in your view sick fantasies at the time Exodus was written. You derived this how? Same way as you condemned me as a lyre?

As for the fear of god being a result of his justice read Exodus 1:17 "But the midwives feared God, and did not do as the king of Egypt commanded then, but saved the male children alive.' Of course read as much as required on either side to gain context. Seams like fear of gods justice to me which is my answer to the question the title of this thread poses.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by .

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #199376 by steamboat28

SeventhSL wrote: Same way as you condemned me as a lyre?

:blink: How many strings you got?
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #199405 by

steamboat28 wrote:

SeventhSL wrote: Same way as you condemned me as a lyre?

:blink: How many strings you got?

It stands to reason that if someone is quick to wrongly judge someone then they may also be quick to wrongly judge something. That said it was a question not an accusation. If im lucky he will come back with some great reasoning. Maybe a historian that was around at the time of writing and can attest to the attitudes of that time. Sounds crazy but ha you never know?

More
8 years 7 months ago #199411 by Kit
(He was teasing you. A lyre is a stringed instrument. A liar is one who tells falsehoods ;) )
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, ,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi