Christianity and Jedi Way

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #194397 by
Christianity and Jedi Way was created by
Hi!

I've been christened when I was 2. Living in Russia, we have Orthodox Christianity here. Always had spiritual wonders. Never felt like Christian. The first thing i really accepted as a spiritual way was Jedi Way, at 2009.

Now I am facing the issue that Jedi don't have institutes approved by society, at least in Russia. And I want to help people. I'd prefer to not start it all alone. And orthodox church is kinda solid institute.

So, I feel the approaching choice of whether or not I will be Orthodox Christian Jedi.

Old religions feel boring for me - I had my own experience, "first hands" knowledge - as, I believe, most of us here. Why bother with some millennium-old traditions and metaphors than? Especially, if they don't seem to adapt quite well.

Still, I feel some high mystery here.

I would be happy to be part of Orhodox Christian community offline, but there is really big distance between me and a good Christian. I like to drink and fuck and party and see no sin in that, if my heart's in right place.

What I really hope to achieve is to be of service to community, do things.

Maybe than I can help locally merge Christian tradition and Jedi Way and help forge something both progressive and localized out of two.

The question is: how do you integrate Jedi Way with Christianity? Do you tell anybody in church about totjo? What's it like?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #194402 by steamboat28

den385 wrote: The question is: how do you integrate Jedi Way with Christianity? Do you tell anybody in church about totjo? What's it like?

They don't really need any integration, in my experience. The Jedi Path and the Christian one are very similar in every (outward) regard. Both seek to make the world a better place for themselves and others. Both seek to understand themselves a bit better. Both seek to try to be the best person they can be.

They fit very well together for visible purposes.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #194415 by
Replied by on topic Christianity and Jedi Way
I can only speak for myself, a fairly liberal/unorthodox Anglican confirmed in the Episcopal Church, but following the Jedi path (or my Jedi path, anyway - all paths are different) has undeniably made me a better Christian. I find that I'm able to be more Christ-like, behave more rightly and even have greater faith in God. I don't believe my fate is preordained by God but I often feel like I was meant to end up here.

At the end of the day, we're all looking for the same things, no matter what our religious tradition may be. We want to better ourselves and the world around us. I'm a very devout Christian (just a weird one) and I find that Jediism fits in with it perfectly, even enhancing and strengthening my faith. I worry sometimes that people would think I was crazy if I referred to myself as a Christian Jedi, but I don't concern myself much with labels, so I try not to get too hung up on that.

I seriously believe both can enhance each other, just in the same way that my time as a Buddhist definitely made me a better Christian when I finally converted. I still consider Buddhist philosophy dear to my heart, and I see no reason why Jediism can't work the same way. After all, in my case, it has done exactly that.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #194420 by
I feel like I should clarify something here, since I re-read this and realized it could be taken the wrong way. When I say Jediism has made me a "better Christian" I don't mean better in comparison to others. I am better than no person, living or dead. We are all God's creatures.

What I mean to say is, the Jedi path has made me feel more at peace and led me to gain more from my Christian faith than I would have otherwise. I've benefitted from it more and "lived it" more. I've (as Joseph Campbell would put it) transcended more of my animal nature and embraced more of my spiritual nature. I've felt happier and more at peace, which is a big deal for a depressed, chronic worrier like me.

It would be more elegant and accurate to say that my Christian faith has improved and grown stronger thanks to Jediism, not that I'm a "better" Christian or human being than any other. Sorry for any confusion!
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #194428 by
Thank you.

Sorry if furthering sounds unchristian. I am Jedi, first of all, and I tend to express my doubts directly. With regards to no doctrine but to sound sense, first.

Are there problems of lesser scale?

Like all this rules in Christianity and must-do/can-not-dos?

Like the kinda ascetic way of life you must be leading as a good Christian?

If I am a Christian, can I party all night, you know? I've had little of this through last 12 years, so it's a huge point for me. And, overall, I can't accept any faith that's too much prohibitive on what I can do with my free time.

And I am not really sure about making a fetish out of suffering and sin: like Campbell said, it's kind of a strange spiritual choice.

And even the cross - I am not sure if this symbol is ok for me. A dead prophet on a wooden cross. Too much accent on suffering, as I see it. Not very inspiring. Inspires to suffer, yes. But to become happy? Not much.

I know, these looks like I am bargaining. But what I am bargaining is not spirituality, it's more of a tradition, a way of life, a set of rules. The form, not the content.

As of content, I am sure that it's united throughout all spiritual ways. Different in tonality. One in the Force.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #194443 by
The cross is a rich symbol allowing the believer a wide variety of meanings. It could symbolize the love of God, the depth of faith, the assurance of the resurrection, the intimacy of the divine, or any number of other meanings.

Both Orthodoxy and Jediism practice living the virtues. There are a variety of virtues and they are to be lived together, that is, each is practiced in relation to one another. Moderation is a virtue that addresses excess. Compassion is lived in our mutual respect regarding our sexuality. Knowledge and wisdom might, for example, provide insight regarding how moderation and compassion lead to life of joy and celebration without excess.

One of my favorite books on Orthodox devotional spirituality: Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi