"Not all Truth is true..."

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 3 months ago #174654 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic "Not all Truth is true..."

Khaos wrote:
Would you argue that putting dog excrement in someones eyes to cure blindness is true or not?.

It is neither "Truth" nor fact, any longer....

But when it WAS, it was a fact, cause my cousin, heard it from a guy he knows who is wise in such things...

Facts are true, until they are proven wrong as well...

I know, and in most cases, it would be best if people stuck to the facts, but there selfish enough to think the truth is more important.

See, life is interpretation...

I dont go around telling you you are using words wrong, something you do quite often...

It doesnt add to the conversation...

its about seeing the message that is being said...

Yet, you argue for facts...

Here is a fact...

I know, and in most cases, it would be best if people stuck to the facts, but [strike]there[/strike] their selfish enough to think the truth is more important.

I do this, not to be a jerk, but to show you that you have to be able to look beyond what is presented to you, to understand what people are saying...

And, no offence, but you do it more that you'd suspect...

I have never pointed it out, because there is probable some fallacy I am using, lol... My fallacy teacher should PM me in a bit to let me know...;).. And despite the rumors, I am not a jerk, lol...

Its ok, I get what you mean, but remember that most of us are trying to communicate as well, and dont always use the 'right' word either...;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #174657 by
Replied by on topic "Not all Truth is true..."
This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from the first Men in Black.

Tommy Lee Jones as Agent K wrote: 1,500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was the center of the universe. 500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat. And 15 minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.

Yes this is from a fictional source, but I still think it has relevance and truth here.

(see what I did there with the truth. :laugh: )

More
9 years 3 months ago #174658 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic "Not all Truth is true..."

Jestor wrote:

Khaos wrote: I know, and in most cases, it would be best if people stuck to the facts, but [strike]there[/strike] [strike]their[/strike] they're selfish enough to think the truth is more important.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

More
9 years 3 months ago #174660 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic "Not all Truth is true..."

Gisteron wrote:

Jestor wrote:

Khaos wrote: I know, and in most cases, it would be best if people stuck to the facts, but [strike]there[/strike] [strike]their[/strike] [strike]they're[/strike] they are selfish enough to think the truth is more important.

Haha, couldn't resist :side:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
9 years 3 months ago #174661 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic "Not all Truth is true..."
They're is a perfectly fine abbreviation for they are, thank you very much.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 3 months ago #174662 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic "Not all Truth is true..."

Gisteron wrote:

Jestor wrote:

Khaos wrote: I know, and in most cases, it would be best if people stuck to the facts, but [strike]there[/strike] [strike]their[/strike] they're selfish enough to think the truth is more important.

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Hey, I say I'm wrong all the time...:)

Thanks Gisteron....;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #174663 by

Gisteron wrote: They're is a perfectly fine abbreviation for they are, thank you very much.

Not if you are writing a paper that has to have a specific word count. ;)

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #174668 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic "Not all Truth is true..."

Gisteron wrote: They're is a perfectly fine abbreviation for they are, thank you very much.

Indeed, it wasn't a correction, it was a variation for fun... just representing some other nature.

Actually I'm terrible at mixing them up, but I actually do not think it matters most of the time because the purpose is not to be grammatically (semantically?) correct, but instead to experience some deeper understanding within oneself - unfortunately sometimes for me I tend to be thinking of a few things at once and that piece of language gets caught in the crossfire. Context is sufficient most of the time but I gotta watch when the mistake contradicts the context around it!!!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #174750 by
The first novels, and so also the distinction of fiction and non-fiction, is generally thought to have its origins (in western Europe) in the 16th century. As a literary genre, fictional stories express truths about their subjects. There is such a thing as courage even if we read about it being from hobbits or dwarves. Some fiction, whether novel or film, can include mythic elements. Like juxtaposing fact and myth, associating myth and fiction is a category shift and a red herring; and analogous to this inaccurate distinction: subjective is personal feelings, that opinions can have no claim to objectivity, because, by definition, truth is objective and independent.

Returning to the more interesting question of myth and truth: I would first like to express my thanks and appreciation to Alexandre for suggesting to me, The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers by Christopher Vogler, Third Edition, Michael Wiese Productions Publisher, Studio City, CA, USA, 2007.

Vogler discusses Campbell's Hero's Journey which I understand as the mythic foundation of our Temple's religious practice. While the definition and meaning of religion is of great interest and particular value, at this time I will focus on the meaning and value of myth. Vogler, in the Preface to the Second Edition, discusses how the concepts of the hero's journey relate to contemporary storytelling. But what he discovered in his investigation of film plots was that the stages of the journey experienced by the hero, "is nothing less than a handbook for life, a complete instruction manual in the art of being human" (page xiii). The events of the journey that recur in dazzling variations over time and distance comprise a kind of pattern. The benefit derived in reading myth is to find there in the pattern ways in which we might learn how to live. The point of reading myth is not to discount it because some adherents commit atrocities, or that it does not accord with scientific fact, or that it is so fantastical that it defies the suspension of disbelief, but rather to find in it, "the life principles embedded in the structure of the stories" (ibid, xv). Each of us is the hero of our own journey. Our life is the adventure where we encounter mentors and enemies, tests and rewards, and where we experience each day in every little thing opportunities to enter the cave, face our fears, and emerge better, stronger persons.

Enjoy the Journey.

More
9 years 3 months ago #174752 by Alexandre Orion
;)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi