Evolutionism

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #126928 by
Replied by on topic Evolutionism
God years. That's an interesting veiw to take. I like it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 4 months ago #126929 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Evolutionism

Rickie The Grey wrote: God years. That's an interesting veiw to take. I like it.

I too thought in "god years"...

I ask my father, who studied in a seminary, this "6/7" day creation...

He responded with "How long is a day to God?"

Since then, and becoming a Jedi, this thought has recurred many times on trying to understand things....

How long is a day to god?

How long is eternity to a a mayfly?

Sorry, taking a hard turn from the OP at this point, haven't we? :lol:

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #126932 by
I know when I write instructions I like to write the measurements in my own interpretation. Yesterday I guy asked for directions and I told him it was a mile North, but to me one mile North is five miles west.

I loaned this guy money and told him I'd pay him back in four days and he comes to me thursday and I'm like to me a day is 300 million years.

I was reading the side of my pancake batter yesterday and I was thinking wow this totally describes the creation of the universe. The flower is the stars and the eggs well that's the cambrian explosion. The frying pan is the heat from the sun adding energy to the earth. Of course it does seem like I'm just twisting things to make it seem like I'm trying to make it fight with something that has nothing to do with baking pancakes ,but hey that's what I believe.

Honestly though I'm glad christianity isn't true it would be really scary to know there is some sort of prankster god running around trying to fool people into thinking he might not be real.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
10 years 4 months ago #126934 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Evolutionism
creation is the view that our world must have been created. And that the being that created it himself did not need to have been created. Such a being is therefore beyond time and space... And has no "workshop" and doesnt take any kind of time (days or years) to create anything.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #126941 by

Rickie The Grey wrote: God years. That's an interesting veiw to take. I like it.

Is that like dog years?

More
10 years 4 months ago #126943 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Evolutionism
Creation or not, creationism (as I looked up in both the Oxford and Webster dictionaries) supposes quite specifically that the the theory of evolution is incorrect. In fact, both definitions mentioned specifically the biblical creation mith and not others, although the first point in itself is enough to say the creationist position is wrong.

However, my comment was going to be about the biblical creation story that depicts rather explicitly on which day which thing is created and all of those are more or less spoken into existence and specially created. So while one can have a vague creation notion that includes modern findings of cosmology and evolutionary biology, suffice it to say that to that end the actual creation myth as it is being told must be disregarded or bent and twisted to make it sound like something it doesn't say, as Vesha illustrated. And of course there is also the problem that several cores of the Christian doctrine can only be logically explained and justified if a literal understanding of the Genesis accounts of creation and early history is being accepted. But, of course, for every event depicted in there we either have no way of verifying it as a part of actual history or we have every way to falsify.
But yes, that is creationism by definition. If we want to switch the topic and go on to talk about just believing in any creation notion that has been proposed, the superfluous and complicating assumption that they require to be taken on nil evidence is not a sufficient but a good reason to refrain from belief for the time being. The reason there is not a great (public) debate between the notion of any creation and science as much as creationism and science is that belief in just some sort of creation doesn't in itself carry the baggage of e.g. stories or conclusions we know to be false. So the opposition against creationism is mainly concerned with people who use their beliefs to make people or teach children to feel miserable about themselves or that since the earth was created to the disposal of our special position within creation, environmental politics should be no worthy talking matter. Of course teaching people to have faith rather than evidence also has other very very dangerous implications, too, but creationism as a movement is not unique in its promoting the values of certainty over curiosity.

So yes, creation (as an idea) and creationism are not the same and hardly even close to being the same. I think we ought to decide on what it is we are discussing here (beside evolution, that is) and not confuse ourselves or each other more than we need to.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 4 months ago #126944 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Evolutionism
Yes Vesha, I tell time in my own way....

"A few minutes ago" could have been an hour or more, even a day...

"Just the other day" is sometime within the last three weeks...

"Last week" could be anywhere in the last month or two...

Etc, etc...

My family realizes this, and has discussions accordingly...

Khaos wrote:

Is that like dog years?

I think you may be teasing, but, yea, a bit... lol...

Look at a dog...

We are there for there birth, and their death, to them, we are eternal... I used the mayfly because they can live and die in a few hours... Or as long as a day or two...

To a mayfly, if it has/had the consciousness to understand we exist, how would we appear? Several thousands of generations would appear and die and we would still be here... Eternal....

If we had/learn the consciousness to understand the force/god, it may not appear so... appear so mysterious... lol...

ren wrote: creation is the view that our world must have been created. And that the being that created it himself did not need to have been created. Such a being is therefore beyond time and space... And has no "workshop" and doesnt take any kind of time (days or years) to create anything.

Well, that sounds flawed... lol...

I could see where it would obviously mean the this is created by something, but to say that, that something wasn't created seems to be reaching, lol, never mind the workshop bit...

Interesting...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
10 years 4 months ago #126956 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Evolutionism
Consider these statements.

God wasn't created.

The Force wasn't created.

The Universe wasn't created.

Is one reaching but not another? What's the difference? Why?

Founder of The Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #126957 by

Br. John wrote: Consider these statements.

God wasn't created.

The Force wasn't created.

The Universe wasn't created.

Is one reaching but not another? What's the difference? Why?

I personally believe The universe has always existed in one form or another and the force is movement/change. The concept of a god seems like a conductor in an orchestra. The problem to me is the music of life will play the same without the conductor. We are tiny spec in a otherwise lifeless cosmos. I would expect far more if this was a grand design.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #126959 by

We are there for there birth, and their death, to them, we are eternal

Or were just older... There is a chance that they dont percieve time differently, so much as just dont live as long.

My mother didnt percieve time differently from my father, she just got cancer and died sooner.

Now, we could argue that a dog or a mayfly doesnt measure time, but I am arguing that they do percieve it, and can understand it in regards to there own biology, such I can percieve the differences at 32 from 22.

A mayfly doesnt know it only has two days, as in 24 hours, etc, but I dont think that means it sees us( if if it even contemplates us at all) as eternal.

All conjecture though, as I cant question the dog, or the mayfly.

I would expect God, if he is God, to not need a million years to create, chances are, he would need less than a second.

Now, you might say thats a million years to us, but then, as I measure time, thats pretty slow for a deity.

I speak pretty fast, and apparently the Christian God spoke the world into being.

Now, I have to assume a deity can think, act,process, and even create on a timeline much,much shorter than me.

If he is working on roughly the same timeline that it took us to get to where we are, not only do I find that just a tad to convenient, but, I have to question the ability, and mental processes, of said deity.

Sucks we apparently got the one with ADD. :lol:
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi