Is the Bible the Literal Word of God?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago #107075 by
Even though in the early years of my life i was raised a Christian, i could never take the Bible seriously. In my mind there were some good lessons yes but a lot of what i heard stood out as being no different from the fairy tales my mum and dad told me when i was small. Noahs ark for example or Moses parting the Red Sea..

One must bare in mind that while the Bible is in places trying to give a moral lesson (perhaps not in the most straightforward way) large tracts of it, the Old Testament in particular was written at a time when people still believed the Sun was a man in a chariot flying across the sky or thunder was an expression of the gods anger. Much of it was mans early attempts to explain and educate people on how the world and nature worked and even came into being when infact they had no proof. Indeed, even today, we still largely lack a lot of proof for much of this. While there are SOME lessons to be learned, much of it is pure myth. I cannot treat the story of Genesis any more seriously than the story of the Norse creation myth, how the first gods came out of a giants armpit.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #307944 by
The Bible as a whole? No. However, it does contain the Word of God. The Word of God is both a what and a who.
Psalms 119 tells us what
John 1:1 tells us who.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi