The Simple Oath: council announcement

• ren
  • Topic Author
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 2 weeks ago #55176 by ren
The oath, a requirement to become member of the Order, has been officially changed. We have removed mention of the will of the Force. You may change your oath if you wish, although the old one will remain valid if you wish to keep it as it is :)

I profess before all my fellow Jedi that I, ........... born on ........, without reservation, choose the Jedi path, until I am ready for Jedi Knighthood or I otherwise decide, with all its duties and responsibilities. I shall do that which is right and profess my allegiance to the Force. During that time I promise to do my utmost to uphold the Jedi teachings, and to live a life as is worthy of a Jedi.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 weeks ago #55181 by
I will chose to keep the old oath, it means more it is what the older Jedi before us had used. Why the change do we not use the will of the force, I think the will of the force brought me to where I am now. The will of the force is what gave us all the reason to believe in the force and made other who came before us believe. I just don't understand why the need for the change.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 weeks ago #55195 by

Slydogstags wrote: I will chose to keep the old oath, it means more it is what the older Jedi before us had used. Why the change do we not use the will of the force, I think the will of the force brought me to where I am now. The will of the force is what gave us all the reason to believe in the force and made other who came before us believe. I just don't understand why the need for the change.

Somr of us here do not agree with The Force having a will

This new version still encompasses those that do and those that don't

Just remember that you are allowed to have any oaths that you wish :) But as this is the official TOTJO one it better that it encompasses all of us :)

I would go as far to say that the 'allegiance' part could also be removed as well, but this is a step in the right direction

I asked this of ren on skype, but will say it here just so everyone can see

What about the solemn vow for knights? That still has 'will' in it. It ought to be changed to be in line with this new oath

• ren
  • Topic Author
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 2 weeks ago #55197 by ren
"work in progress".

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 weeks ago #55213 by
i do see what you are saying but to change a part of the past makes a new unknown future. In a way that is good but the force does have a will it tells us right and wrong, good and evil, and gives us the answers to what we ask if you know how to listen. i know i do not have a say in the council but I feel we should not change the past for it has lead us here, with that said it is the same reason i did not put the vows in my own words i feel that the ones that came before us made us who we are and to change or interpret in are own way takes away from the vows itself. I know I may have spoken out of place but that is how I feel and I apologize if I have said something to offend any one in the council. May The Force Be With You.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 weeks ago #55218 by
The way this stands is that there are those who believe in the will of the Force and those that don't. Removing these words from the Oath allows both opinions to be held here. Of course, the 16 Basic Teachings of our Doctrine encourage a belief in the former but this isn't a necessity in order to become a Jedi in the eyes of the Order. Altering the Oath corrects this oversight.

I personally believe in the will of the Force (to me, akin to the Tao of classical Taoism) so I will stand by my original Oath. Anyone is free to do so if that's what they believe too. If they don't, and want to submit a new oath, that is now possible.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 weeks ago #55220 by
Oh, and no offence taken! We try to reflect the needs of our members as much as possible, that's why we are constantly open to discussions of evolving ideas. So thank you for your opinion and never be afraid to express it! Politely, of course ;)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi