• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #165070 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Forum Access Changes

elizabeth wrote: I agree with Edan and however we dress it up we are cutting guests of from posting in some threads.

I agree. But to an extent we already do this with the other forums. Which is why I don't understand the creation of a "new" one. Just use the existing members only forums.

Personally I think that this is a case of a few bad eggs ruining it for everyone. Why can we not just take more decisive action when it comes to people who are here to cause trouble? Or, as we've been talking about in the offense thread, perhaps we should be spending more time trying to understand why we get upset and offended and work on our "trigger" discussions.

If people are uncomfortable posting where guests can see it, then post in the members only area. And if someone is afraid to post, then thats something that as an individual they need to be working on, obviously with the full support of the rest of us, but still something they need to address. After all, isn't fear something we are meant to be actively overcoming?

I think that this decision and its announcement actively creates division and more fear and increases the "them and us" thing.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Brenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Amaya

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #165071 by Amaya
Replied by Amaya on topic Forum Access Changes
I respect what your saying but from what I've seen its members and guests that have been the problem.
Your cutting of all guests when the majority aren't the problem.
I didn't post in some threads cause I felt it was getting uncomfortable but that was my choice.
We had a choice to stop the threads that got out of hand, all of us could of just stopped replying and we didn't.
What exactly are you protecting members from? Themselves? And how does it help to make guests feel unwelcome?

Everything is belief

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #165072 by
Replied by on topic Forum Access Changes

elizabeth wrote: I agree with Edan and however we dress it up we are cutting guests of from posting in some threads.

Yes... because we are taking action to enable the large numbers of Members who have discussed not feeling able to post in the open forums to resume posting. That's my interpretation of Alan's post... we are hearing understandable and reasonable complaints about the reduced access rights of Guests, but little of the positive effect this may have on the Members who have been considering leaving the Temple, or who have felt obliged to confine themselves to their journals, because of the Temple's hospitality.

I weigh today's annoyance of/for Guests with that of/for those Members who have not felt able to use the Temple space for the last few months. Personally I feel the best decision currently available to us has been made, especially given the addition of the new forum specifically for "open to all" posts, the continuing viewing access for Members forums (surely preferable to much, perhaps the majority, of Members discussion vanishing from the forum altogether), and the proviso this whole thing will be reviewed and fine tuned in the coming weeks.

More
9 years 6 months ago #165074 by Amaya
Tzb
I considered leaving the Temple but not because of guests. And the positive effect of guests and us? Really?

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #165075 by
What specifically makes one a member here?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #165076 by

Khaos wrote: What specifically makes one a member here?

The completion of the application and the taking of the Simple Oath (just so long as everything is done truthfully and sincerely).

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #165077 by
So only Jedi can be members then.

Well, it is Temple of the Jedi Order, granted.

Still, that outs me regardless.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by .

More
9 years 6 months ago #165078 by Amaya
Anyone can be a member don't have to be jedi

Everything is belief

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #165079 by
This is the Simple Oath:

I profess before all my fellow Jedi that I, XXXXXXXXXXX born on XXXXXXXXXXX, without reservation, choose the Jedi path, until I am ready for Jedi Knighthood or I otherwise decide, with all its duties and responsibilities. I shall do that which is right and profess my allegiance to the Force. During that time I promise to do my utmost to uphold the Jedi teachings, and to live a life as is worthy of a Jedi.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #165080 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Forum Access Changes
Anyone can write an oath and not mean it.

Not everyone treats an oath with the seriousness it should imply.

I understand the point though. But someone who is not here to genuinely participate can easily take the oath, become a member and continue on with their agenda.

And we are back where we started.

Edit - Not to mention that I feel this could also further widen the gap between other Jedi communities and our own. We could not expect them to take an oath that is potentially not in alignment with their chosen group.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Brenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi