IMPORTANT: DOCTRINE UPDATE

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #140194 by
Replied by on topic IMPORTANT: DOCTRINE UPDATE
Well, with those definitions in mind (please be aware this n00b sticker is really damn sticky it simply won't peel off) I'm going to stick my neck out here and say I don't like either the old or the new maxim that much.

Warning! n00b messing with maxims. Code red!
Warning: Spoiler!

I'm not saying my bit of blah hiding in there should be the new-new form. It's just that, it seems the recently updated version is causing some grumbling.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #140198 by
To have no ego is to exist in a perfect state of humility and enlightenment - that certainly is an unreasonable demand on Jedi.

A reasonable demand however would be trying to get people to understand what the ego is and in doing so to understand the reasons behind their actions.

A Jedi does not boast of their accomplishments and knows that their accomplishment is its own reward.

In Buddhist and Hindu traditions, of which Buddhism emerged from ascetic Hindu traditions, the idea of being one with the world is represented by the term 'Atman' which means 'Self'.

There is no separate self from the universe, because we are all manifestations of the Force.

The maxim should be read in terms of its additional description.

A Jedi does not boast of their accomplishments and knows that their accomplishment is its own reward.

Accepting the ego for what it is, well what is it? The ego in this maxim is referring to a particular type of greed, that is to say egoistic (selfish) greed. There is more to that however, because if one is being greedy then one is elevating their self-worth above that of others. This elevation of self-worth is mistakenly thinking of your 'Self' as being greater or better than another and hence not realising that there is no 'Self' within the Force.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 1 month ago #140202 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic IMPORTANT: DOCTRINE UPDATE

bard wrote: What about something like:
Humility: To be mindful of the ego.

THis is how I read the new version....

How, it translated into my the definition of words in my head...:)

I dont have to 'accept it' as 'well now I am stuck with it, and cant get rid of it'....

I read it as 'I understand I have one at times, and am seeking to do my best to not pay attention to it'...

lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #140207 by

Jestor wrote: I dont have to 'accept it' as 'well now I am stuck with it, and cant get rid of it'....

I read it as 'I understand I have one at times, and am seeking to do my best to not pay attention to it'...

That's the difference between 'accepting' something and 'tolerating' something.

Tolerating just just putting up with something that exists.
Accepting is going beyond just putting up with it to truly understand why it is the way it is.

More
10 years 1 month ago #140211 by Wescli Wardest

Akkarin wrote: That's the difference between 'accepting' something and 'tolerating' something.

Accepting is going beyond just putting up with it to truly understand why it is the way it is.

For the most part I agree with that Akkarin. I would also add (for myself) that it is not limited to understanding. But that it is a part of being at peace with something. In theis case the ego. And I realize that when I say "being at peace" people will auto associate this with the opposite of conflict. But it can also be like a comfortable recognition that can be embraced for what it is.

When we fight with something to understand it we rarely make the kind of progress we would like. And I will give an example. Marriage counseling. Often times people go to marriage counseling when their marriage is in trouble. But that is not when marriage counseling works best. It's true beauty is when the couple is happy. Then they can go to counseling to help grow their relationship together, maybe work out little quirks that bother eachother. (notice I said work out and not change. Maybe it is the one noticing the quirk that needs to be resolved) the point is that when two people love eachother it is far easier to understand and resolve then when they are fighting and unreceptive. And they are more likely to grow apart at that point then grow together. ;)

Monastic Order of Knights

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
10 years 1 month ago #140212 by Jestor

Akkarin wrote:

Jestor wrote: I dont have to 'accept it' as 'well now I am stuck with it, and cant get rid of it'....

That's the difference between 'accepting' something and 'tolerating' something.

Now it is getting silly....

Really?

So, accepting cant mean 'tolerating'?

Here is the thing....

We have these maxims, teachings, and ask for what they mean to the individual...

And, I understood all of these to basically mean the same thing, looking at the spirit of the words, rather than the 'Webster' defintions....

IF I have an ego (I do occasionally), then I should seek to not have it...

and Jon

If it is possible Brenna then tell me who this person is who has no ego?

One who has left this plane of existence...:)

My thinking, anyway... lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• ren
  • Topic Author
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
10 years 1 month ago #140219 by ren
Replied by ren on topic IMPORTANT: DOCTRINE UPDATE

To have no ego is to exist in a perfect state of humility and enlightenment - that certainly is an unreasonable demand on Jedi.

The maxims are not demands. They are a statement of belief in what is good/wise. the explanations are a small guide on how a Jedi can get there, or better understand the meaning of the maxim. If they were demands you'd expect to see Jedi meditating 24/7. A maxim is an aphorism after all.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Wescli Wardest, Alexandre Orion

More
10 years 1 month ago #140222 by steamboat28

Akkarin wrote: To have no ego is to exist in a perfect state of humility and enlightenment...
There is no separate self from the universe, because we are all manifestations of the Force.

As long as we're locked in these meat-suits, we're *going* to have a concept of "I, myself" that is at least nominally separate from everything else. We can know otherwise, experience otherwise, and live as though this "I, myself" doesn't exist, but it will until we actually rejoin the whole, or it wouldn't take an act of doing to commune with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Wescli Wardest

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #140226 by Jestor

Attachment h13b0a4d.jpg not found

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Jestor. Reason: fixed
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Llama Su

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #140235 by
Replied by on topic Re:Re: IMPORTANT: DOCTRINE UPDATE

steamboat28 wrote:

Akkarin wrote: To have no ego is to exist in a perfect state of humility and enlightenment...

As long as we're locked in these meat-suits, we're *going* to have a concept of "I, myself" that is at least nominally separate from everything else. We can know otherwise, experience otherwise, and live as though this "I, myself" doesn't exist, but it will until we actually rejoin the whole, or it wouldn't take an act of doing to commune with it.

Well of course, that is why we must accept that this is the way things are. We can know that there is such a thing as enlightenment without experiencing it, we can know that the ego is an illusion we create ourselves while still being bound by that illusion. But we accept that it is an illusion and work to overcome it.

As for tolerance as opposed to acceptance:

http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/sermons/1976-08-july-2012-on-tolerance

Ace explained it wonderfully in that sermon.

Aceboizer wrote: So don’t tolerate anyone. That is not a mutually beneficial way to coexist. We should get to know each other, be civilized but honest. Humanity has learned to tolerate others, to peacefully ignore one another and hope neither side gets fed up with the farce.

Instead, we ought to learn about each other. Witness how the same concepts can be given alternative names which once peeled away reveal a rather familiar concept. If we shed our ‘tolerance,’ we might just find us staring at a reflection of ourselves. Put any name on a belief: religion, politics, science…they’re all just another label for our attempts at understanding some Universal Truth.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi