IMPORTANT: DOCTRINE UPDATE

More
10 years 1 month ago #140162 by steamboat28
It is my opinion that the ego isn't the problem itself; like your appendix, it's only a problem if it gets out of control.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #140165 by
Replied by on topic IMPORTANT: DOCTRINE UPDATE
My opinion doesn't really count for much (still trying to peel off this n00b sticker I found on my keyboard) but...

Is this an argument about what "ego" refers to?

Until a week or so ago I used "ego" as reference to someone who was arrogant (etc). That is, having a big ego.

I've only just started reading Watts and now I have a new, wider use of the word. That is, ego represents the way humans separate themselves from the world. Ego is a (foolish?) sense of individuality when, in truth, we are all one/connected/cosmos. It is a genetically determined construct, I suppose.

So when I read "Old wrote: Humility - To have no ego." I'm seeing that as "understanding we are all one/connected/cosmos" but when I read "New wrote: Humility - To accept the ego for what it is." it reads more like "no matter what you do, there will always be a part of you that views itself as separate from the world".

Both are true enough.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #140176 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic IMPORTANT: DOCTRINE UPDATE

Akkarin wrote: The maxim 'Humility' has been changed.

Old wrote: Humility: To have no ego.

New wrote: Humility: To accept the ego for what it is.

All of these definitions, which do not seem to have any relation to reality, seem to miss out the relational and social aspects of humility. Who is without an ego? I would really be interested to know that? Any offers? Also if my name were Adolf Hitler and I accepted the superior arian meglamaniac who I am then I am humble? Well there seems to be hope for that guy after all. After all this talk about our egos what about the other? If I were the last being on earth what further use does humility have? Strange, but I always considered humility, a kind of doing word, in light of how we interact with each other and not as a sterile definition of what we are. Humble would be more accurate, at least that is what I always thought.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Jon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 1 month ago #140177 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic IMPORTANT: DOCTRINE UPDATE
I wouldnt have thought it possible to have "no" ego, but I think humility is not operating from ego.

But i could be wrong. Im not 100% i understand it myself.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28,

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
10 years 1 month ago #140179 by Jon
If it is possible Brenna then tell me who this person is who has no ego?

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
10 years 1 month ago #140180 by Brenna

Jon wrote: If it is possible Brenna then tell me who this person is who has no ego?

I said that I wouldnt think it was possible.

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
10 years 1 month ago #140182 by Jon
Apologies Brenna.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
10 years 1 month ago #140183 by Brenna

Jon wrote: Apologies Brenna.

Thats ok ;)

Its an interesting question though. Is there such a thing as no ego. I think it was Watts (correct me if im wrong) who said that even an attempt to kill the ego is the ego in disguise... so is it possible at all? Or are those who seem egoless simply operating separate from their ego?

or perhaps they are completely indifferent?

More
10 years 1 month ago #140192 by Alexandre Orion
Ego is a concept. What Watts said was something like (I'm paraphrasing) : 'trying to get rid of one's ego is the biggest ego-game there is ... and the funny thing is - the ego doesn't exist'.

That was also illustrated by the lack of 'inches' ; 'we can't do any building today, we have no 'inches'. We have wood, hammers and nails - we even have tape-measures and rulers - but because we have no 'inches', we can't build today.' (yep ... I'm paraphrasing again). The 'inches' have the same basic reality as our ego. These are the same relationships wealth to money (or these days finance as we really do have no more 'money' :P ), dinners to menus and so forth ...

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus,

• ren
  • Topic Author
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
10 years 1 month ago #140193 by ren
Replied by ren on topic IMPORTANT: DOCTRINE UPDATE
There are many definitions of the ego. But right at the base of all of them is a feeling of being separate from the rest: an individual conscience. And for as long as that conscience feels separate from the rest, whether its actions are beneficial or noxious to itself, it will have an ego.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, , Alexandre Orion, Brenna

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi