IMPORTANT: DOCTRINE UPDATE

• ren
  • Topic Author
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
10 years 10 months ago #107335 by ren
The council is proud to announce that we have updated the Order's Doctrine. The link is on the main menu.

I did most of the work (new intro, modified "Jedi believe", some editing of the 16 teachings, and completely revamped the original 21 maxims of Jediism --which predate totjo-- and previously weren't part of our Doctrine)
Akkarin modified the 16 Teachings with some input from some of our members.

Overall, the message is the same, but the delivery different (improved I hope :) ) It had been a while since the Doctrine was last updated and I hope this version will prove to be future-proof.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Adder, MCSH, Llama Su

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ren
  • Topic Author
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
10 years 10 months ago #107336 by ren
Replied by ren on topic IMPORTANT: DOCTRINE UPDATE
Here is a copy of the previous version:

Jediism is a syncretistic religion - a faith involving elements from two or more religions including Taoism, Shintoism, Buddhism, Christianity, Mysticism, and many other Religions' universal truths and a combination of martial arts and the Code of Chivalry. These philosophies are the heart of Jediism; not the wonderful Star Wars movies themselves except to serve as parables.

Real Jedi (Jediists) are modern versions of the Shao Lin Monk, the European Knight, and the Samurai Warrior. The Jedi religion is an inspiration and a way of life for many people throughout the world who take on the mantle of Jedi. Jediism is merely a new name for ancient faiths. Masters of Jediism have been on Earth for over 5,000 years under many names including Buddha, Jesus, Lao Tzu, St. Francis of Assisi, Ghandi, Martin Luther King and so many others ....

Jedi apply the principles, ideals, philosophies, and teachings of Jediism in a practical manner within their lives. Jedi seek the Living Force Of Creation for guidance

There is no absolute or universal consensus among the world's scholars as to the definition of religion, but the following is a good one, and it is the definition of religion we generally use at The Temple of the Jedi Order.

Jedi define religion as:

re·li·gion (n)

A set of beliefs, values, and practices; a cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion; a system of thought, feeling, and action that is shared by a group and that gives the members a code of behavior by which those individuals may judge the personal and social consequences of their actions; also a frame of reference by which individuals may relate to their group, their universe and The Force.

Many Jedi follow a syncretistic religion -- a faith involving elements from two or more religions. Jediism itself is a syncretistic religion. One can be strictly a Jedi, a Wiccan Jedi, a Christian Jedi, a Buddhist Jedi, or an Agnostic Jedi, for example, but Jediism is a religion and a way of life in and of itself. Real Jedi do not Worship the Force, or George Lucas, or Star Wars or anything of the sort. Jediism is not based in fiction, but rather explained more clearly sometimes by myths and made applicable to real life.

Jedi Believe:

In the inherent worth of every person. People are worthy of respect, support, and caring simply because they are human.

In working towards a culture that is relatively free of discrimination on the basis of gender, race, sexual orientation, national origin, degree of ability, age, etc.

In the sanctity of the human person. We oppose the use of torture and cruel or unusual punishment including the death penalty. 1

In the importance of democracy within religious, political and other structures.

In the separation of church and state; and the freedoms of speech, association, and expression. 2

That the systems of truth in the field of morals, ethics, and religious belief that we have studied are not absolute: they vary by culture, by religion, and over time.

In the generally positive influence that most religions have had on their followers and on society. 3

In the importance of individual believers determining evil influences and policies within their chosen faith group, and advocate for their correction.

In the importance of education. We believe that people are not truly educated unless they have studied at least the world's major religions and ethical systems. They need to learn of the good and bad impacts they have had on society. 4

Footnotes, mainly about exceptions:
However, like the rest of North American society, we have not been able to reach a consensus about when human life, in the form of a spermatozoon and an ovum, becomes a human person deserving civil rights.

However we have not been able to reach a consensus about the age at which an individual should fully enjoy these freedoms. We also recognize that some of these freedoms should have limits. For example, we do not feel that, in most cases, parents should be allowed to let their children die if medical treatment will assure a cure. We do not feel that individuals should be free to advocate genocide or yell "fire" in a crowded theatre.

Exceptions are a handful of destructive cults which have had an overall negative effect.

They need to understand the religious sources that inspired Gandhi, Albert Schweitzer, and Mother Teresa to commit their life to the alleviation of human suffering. But they also need to learn the shadow side of religion: how religious beliefs have contributed to hatred, intolerance, oppression, discrimination, as well as mass murders and genocides in such places as Nazi Germany, Bosnia, East Timor, Kosovo, Northern Ireland, the Middle East, Sudan and countless other countries.

Seeking the Path, Becoming a Jedi

Profess to yourself and proclaim your acknowledgment of being a Jedi. Follow the Jedi ideals and beliefs. You may hold other spiritual convictions along with being a Jedi and loyalty to both is attainable and encouraged, for your focus determines your reality.

Believe in the Force and its power, a Jedi is devoted to the Force, being committed to the ideals of a Jedi is a pervading tenet. A Jedi does not serve the dark side in any way, in thought or in deed. A Jedi acts in a righteous manner defining the principles of a true Jedi. Knowledge and a relationship will you develop with the Force, it resides within you, surrounds you and flows through you.

Accept the Jedi teachings that were professed by all Jedi Masters, as their teachings give a spiritual guidance to all Jedi. The melding of the different faiths give the Jedi the direction, knowledge and wisdom that aid in life’s journey.

Learn from other Jedi and unlearn what you have learned. The knowledge and support of other Jedi increases your own knowledge and awareness of the Force. Fellowship is conductive to the learning process of becoming a Jedi, a process that never has an end . 5. Profess to be a Jedi if you will, but take heart be not boastful or prideful in your abilities and in your talents as you journey along your path.

The Jedi Oaths

There are two Oaths within the Order. The Simple Oath is for Initiates and Apprentices and binds you to the Jedi Way until you are ready for Knighthood or decide to leave. The Solemn Oath is taken upon Knighthood and binds you to the Jedi Way for life.

The Simple Oath / Temporary Indefinat

"I profess before all my fellow Jedi that I, (state your legal name) born on (date of birth), without reservation choose the Jedi Path until I am ready for Jedi Knighthood or I otherwise decide, with all its duties and responsibilities. During that time I shall do that which is right and profess my allegiance to the Force. During that time I promise to do my utmost to uphold the Jedi teachings and to live a life as is worthy of a Jedi."

The Solemn Oath / Final Vow

"I profess before all my fellow Jedi that I, (state your legal name) born on (date of birth), without reservation, choose the Jedi path, with all its duties and responsibilities. I shall do that which is right and profess my allegiance to the Force. I vow to uphold the Jedi teachings, and to henceforth devote myself to the life of a Jedi."

The Orthodox Jedi Code

There is no Emotion; There is Peace.

There is no Ignorance; There is Knowledge.

There is no Passion; There is Serenity.

There is no Chaos: There is Harmony.

There is no Death; There is the Force.

Another way of seeing this is:

Emotion, yet peace.

Ignorance, yet knowledge.

Passion, yet serenity.

Chaos, yet harmony.

Death, yet the Force.

The Jedi Creed

I am a Jedi, an instrument of peace;

Where there is hatred I shall bring love;

Where there is injury, pardon;

Where there is doubt, faith;

Where there is despair, hope;

Where there is darkness, light;

And where there is sadness, joy.

I am a Jedi.

I shall never seek so much to be consoled as to console;

To be understood as to understand;

To be loved as to love;

For it is in giving that we receive;

It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;

And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

The Force is with me always, for I am a Jedi.

Note: The creed has been adapted from the prayer of Francis of Assisi.

Three primary tenets of Jediism

Focus

Knowledge

Wisdom

When used correctly, these allow us to better ourselves and overcome any obstacle, helping to improve the world around us and fulfil our purpose to Love, Learn and Be Kind.

Real Jedi are the guardians of peace and justice throughout the World. We use our abilities and powers to defend and protect, never to attack others. We respect all life, in all forms. We are humble and live to serve all living things. For the good of others, we seek to improve ourselves through knowledge and wisdom; a neverending journey.

16 Basic Teachings of the Jedi

As Jedi, we are in touch with the Living Force flowing through and around us, as well as being spiritually aware of the Force. Jedi are trained to become sensitive to the Force's energy, fluctuations, and disturbances.

Jedi live and focus on the present; we must neither dwell on the past nor be overly concerned about the future. As the mind wanders, focusing on the present is a task not easily attained, for the mind is not content with the eternal present moment. As Jedi, we must release our stress and ease our minds.

Jedi must maintain a clear mind; this is achieved through meditation and contemplation. Our minds can become cluttered and infected by forces and attitudes that we encounter every day, and must be purged of these unnecessary elements on a daily basis.

As Jedi, we are mindful of our thoughts... we focus our thoughts on the positive. The positive energy of the force is healthy for the mind, body and spirit.

As Jedi, we trust and use our feelings. We are intuitive, more so than others and with this heightened intuition we become more spiritually evolved as our minds become more harmonious with the Force and it's influences.

Jedi are patient. Patience is elusive but can be consciously developed over time.

Jedi are mindful of the negative emotions which lead to the Dark Side: Anger, Fear, Aggression, and Hate. If we sense these emotions manifesting within ourselves, we must meditate on the Jedi Code and focus on purging these destructive emotions.

Jedi understand that physical training is as important as training the mind and the spirit. We understand that all aspects of training are necessary to maintain the Jedi way of life and to perform the duties of a Jedi.

Jedi protect the peace. We are warriors of peace, and are not ones to use force to resolve a conflict; it is through peace, understanding and harmony that conflicts resolve.

Jedi believe in destiny and trust in the will of the Living Force. We accept the fact that what seems to be random events are not random at all, but the design of the Living Force of Creation. Each living creature has a purpose, understanding that purpose comes with a deep awareness of the Force. Even things that happen which seem negative have a purpose, though that purpose is not easy to see.

Jedi must let go of obsessive attachment, both material and personal. The obsession over possessions creates the fear of loosing those possessions, which can lead to the Dark Side.

Jedi believe in eternal life. We do not become obsessed in mourning those who pass. Grieve as you will but take heart, for the soul and spirit continue in the netherworld of the Living Force.

Jedi use the Force only when it is necessary. We do not apply our abilities or powers to boast or be prideful. We use the Force for knowledge, and exercise wisdom and humility in doing so, for humility is a trait all Jedi must embody.

We as Jedi believe that love and compassion are central to our lives. We must love each other as we love ourselves; by doing this, we envelope all life in the positive energy of the Force.

Jedi are guardians of peace and justice. We believe in finding peaceful solutions to problems, gifted as we are we remain negotiators of the utmost ability. We never negotiate out of fear, but never fear to negotiate. We embrace justice, protecting and preserving the fundamental rights of all living creatures. Empathy and compassion are vital to us; it allows us to comprehend the wounds caused by injustice.

We as Jedi make a commitment to, and are loyal to the Jedi cause. The ideals, philosophies, and practices of the Jedi define the belief of Jediism, and we take action on this path for self improvement, and to help others. We are both the witnesses and protectors of the Jedi way by the practice of our Faith.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, J_Roz, Adder, Alexandre Orion, PatrickB, MCSH, Amaya

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago #107344 by
Replied by on topic IMPORTANT: DOCTRINE UPDATE
I would have to agree. Especially with me. Someone who came from the dark side of the force. Someone who was concidered a Sith. Again, I would have to agree.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago #107347 by
I mean, this is truly a beautiful doctrine. Concise, makes up a good path, gives people openness to interpret, yet focuses our developments.

Bravo, TOTJO. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago #107348 by
Yes, it does give those people an openness to interpret as one would put it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago #107364 by
I love the revised doctrine page. You did a great job Ren. Thank you.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago #107367 by
I know I'm not the most frequent of posters around here, and I don't stop in as often as I should or as it would be liked. That said, I approve of the message your sending here and the steps you've taken with this Doctrine.

Excellent, an improvement in leaps and bounds and a clarification that allows some solidification of the ideals in these halls while still giving the level of flexibility necessary for the path to be actually lived and not just talked about.

More
10 years 10 months ago #107369 by 666
Replied by 666 on topic IMPORTANT: DOCTRINE UPDATE
Question: (I know, is not the right place)

Why we need to say something 2 times
why a different way

maybe because English is not my language I am loosing something here

what's the difference, if there's not ... why 2 times?

The Orthodox Jedi Code

There is no Emotion; There is Peace.

There is no Ignorance; There is Knowledge.

There is no Passion; There is Serenity.

There is no Chaos: There is Harmony.

There is no Death; There is the Force.

Another way of seeing this is:

Emotion, yet peace.

Ignorance, yet knowledge.

Passion, yet serenity.

Chaos, yet harmony.

Death, yet the Force.

Knight of Jediism
Ordained Deacon and Minister
Promoted and Ordained April 28, 2010

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago #107370 by
Sixer,

The purpose is to show that you cannot truly eliminate emotion, yet peace prevails so long as you accept this.
This applies with the other tennants mentioned, and it serves as a less 'finite' take on the Orthodox Code. You are free to interpret either as you wish, yet personally I believe that they go hand in hand :)
The finite versus the alternate interpretations simply serve to provide those with more views than simply one in terms of how to view the code.

Besides,
Can there truly be harmony without chaos?
And if there were, how can one measure peace against war when no balance exists?

Just my thoughts :)

Cheers!

More
10 years 10 months ago #107371 by MCSH
Replied by MCSH on topic IMPORTANT: DOCTRINE UPDATE
Great job!

Thank you.

Master: Wescli Wardest
Clerical Mentor : Master Jestor

Clerical Rank: Licensed Minister